Have Morrissey's recent political statements affected your appreciation of his music?

Have Morrissey's recent political statements affected your appreciation of his music?

• No, I still love his music as much as ever before

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Yes, I still love his music but slightly less than I used to

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Yes, I find it harder and harder to listen to the music

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Yes, I've sold all my Moz-records and/or deleted his songs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm c***skinny and always knew he was a racist/fascist so why would I listen to any of his music

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thewlis

Very Senior Member
I'm wondering how the recent statements have gone down with the frequenters here in relation to the recorded output (1983-2017).

There's a Jim Jefferies show where he talks about peadophiles and talks about how good you are relates to how much people will tolerate. So, people still love Elvis and Michael Jackson, less so Gary Glitter although I have to say the Glitter Band were a solid outfit.

I feel the same way with Morrissey, it's made me think what I can and can't do without. I should have some free time in three or four weeks and much of my collection is getting a cull, records, bits of shirt etc. I don't feel any attachment now in a collector way.

There's a Jim Jefferies show where he talks about peadophiles and talks about how good you are relates to how much people will tolerate. So, people still love Elvis and Michael Jackson, less so Gary Glitter although I have to say the Glitter Band were a solid outfit.

I feel the same way with Morrissey, it's made me think what I can and can't do without. I should have some free time in three or four weeks and much of my collection is getting a cull, records, bits of shirt etc. I don't feel any attachment now in a collector way.
Ha ha, another mug...

Ha ha, another mug...
Here cones the dumb londoner, I really think you are one of those fat people who's entire use of language is based around an episode of the Sweeny. While you insight and IQ skims around the edge of retardation
The funny thing is you think morrissey is serious and joined your lot. He's just taking the piss, again. Chris Hitch was bought and paid for at the end of his career as well.
You are miles away from getting him, but you know you can pretend the Ally Pally gig was his best gig ever.you can pretend morrissey is at the peak of his powers, that's up to you.
White prole Londoners are consideted scum by the rest of the country, dumb beer lard bells who can't dress properly. We all know you are one of those mouth breathers who finish each sentence with the word 'mate'. Man you are dim

Here cones the dumb londoner, I really think you are one of those fat people who's entire use of language is based around an episode of the Sweeny. While you insight and IQ skims around the edge of retardation
The funny thing is you think morrissey is serious and joined your lot. He's just taking the piss, again. Chris Hitch was bought and paid for at the end of his career as well.
You are miles away from getting him, but you know you can pretend the Ally Pally gig was his best gig ever.you can pretend morrissey is at the peak of his powers, that's up to you.
White prole Londoners are consideted scum by the rest of the country, dumb beer lard bells who can't dress properly. We all know you are one of those mouth breathers who finish each sentence with the word 'mate'. Man you are dim
Are you on LSD?

It's definitely changed something for me. I know it hasn't for some people here, everyone's different, but it has spoiled my 'fandom', I suppose. I'm not sure I could go see him live again. Certainly wouldn't want to advertise myself as a fan by wearing a t-shirt etc. The attachment I always felt to him feels severed.

As for the actual music, I hope not. It's too special. But is that attachment linked to the music? It's an interesting question. I haven't listened to anything since the comments (apart from the new one), but it could just be the phase I'm in at the moment. We'll see. I'm hoping - music wise - it'll go back to the way it was for so many years!

It's definitely changed something for me. I know it hasn't for some people here, everyone's different, but it has spoiled my 'fandom', I suppose. I'm not sure I could go see him live again. Certainly wouldn't want to advertise myself as a fan by wearing a t-shirt etc. The attachment I always felt to him feels severed.

As for the actual music, I hope not. It's too special. But is that attachment linked to the music? It's an interesting question. I haven't listened to anything since the comments (apart from the new one), but it could just be the phase I'm in at the moment. We'll see. I'm hoping - music wise - it'll go back to the way it was for so many years!
Maybe you should sit down and eat some soy now.

I've known for some time that Moz is a c***. Not just a racist, but a c*** more generally. He hasn't put out anything genuinely good in a decade, and it's even longer since I found the idea of seeing him live appealing.*

This latest nonsense from him is only different from the last however many times because it has left lots of people who would usually make excuses for him a bit stuck. He hasn't said anything fundamentally new or surprising.

He did once have talent as a songwriter, and I don't think the fact that he's a c*** changes good songs into bad songs. But being a fan is not something I would admit to in public now. By coincidence, I had already thinned out my collection for eBay and the charity shop. Books have gone and t-shirts were cut up for rags years ago. but there's a clutch of CDs I'll be keeping for now. Everything by the Smiths and few solo

* Up to you, dear reader, how you want to read the word "live".

Last edited:
No i still love his art and style. I don't think he is racist but I also don't agree with his political solutions so much as they can be determined from his support of certain people and parties. That said he also isn't the best communicator of his ideas in interviews going back forever. He speaks in hyperbole is often very narrow and focused on certain topics and can appear unsympathetic. Immigration is a complex issue and there's no blanket belief or reasoning for people who are wary of current immigration policies. Here in the u.s after trump was elected it was easy for some in certain places to reduce everyone who voted for him down to either racists or the uneducated and I personally knew some very educated upper class people who did vote for him much to my surprise and it really prompted me to seek out and try to understand those who did vote trump. Underneath the loud shouting voices of the alt right were some very reasonable people who seemed under recognized. I saw a similar phenomenon after the brexit vote. Videos of people shouting at Muslims were very popular with a lot of attention with accounts of non racist leave voters ignored by most of the remainers. I think a big art of the problem with Morrisseys statements are that they can easily be seen by echo those of the crazier extremists and that he either seems unaware or unwilling to clarify (at least until it's to late). For instance the idea of mainstream media distrust has been so adopted by currupt people that it's become unacceptable to feel a strong critism of the media by anyone and not be lumped in. Same with the worry and fear or distaste of Islam. Muslims have become a target and its natural to want to make them a protected people and to fight violence and hate but it seems like it's either or with no middle ground. You can't be just worried or concerned about Islam and its effects of your population without being labeled a dangerous bigot. Now I hate Christianity myself but today most of the practitioners of Christianity don't really practice any kind of hardline view while muslims appear much more devout especially one raised in some sketchy theocracies which makes it easier for westerners to be afraid. I can at least understand that. Those here in the u.s, muslims, I've met have been really nice normal people, I've never had a bad interaction, but I don't know if that would hold true for people raised in less civilized circumstances. Meaning it's not just the religion but who the practice refers is and where there from and what's normal to them. I just don't know but with bombs exploding I don't blame the general population with being wary. Not to mention the financial worries that some people and voters are concerned by. The financial collapse not long ago when brown was pm made this worse along with the just the massive amount of people coming in and the way benefits work in the U.K.. i can understand the effects this ordeal might have had of people's worries about the countries finances. I guess in short I'm saying that these issues have a lot of middle ground legitimate motivations positions and concerns and while I don't agree with Morrisseys supposed solutions I'm not angry with his and others motivations and worries when I find that they don't come from hate which I've not seen morrissey display. Thus I don't find the things I do like, such as his art, tainted. I can tolerate someone I think is just wrong even if I think he does himself a disservice at communicating his thoughts because of ego and his general nature etc

Nothing changed at all.:flowers:
Just one thing, I know now For Britain is the way to vote.:thumb:
Moz has made an airtight case for FB, and seeing the overwhelming pro Moz and pro FB response
to this poll I'm not the only one who got the message. Shocking realization for the Muslim/Commie
contingent! :whip:

Great art is not always made by perfect human beings. If you're looking for the benign and beige......there are a million alternatives out there. Which is one of the reasons why were here, isn't it?

His comments have nothing to do with music, except that I will no longer be travelling around the U.K. and Europe to see him sing his songs live. I’ve been a busy Smiths/Moz gig goer since the 80’s, and my wife too. I’ve told her that I cannot actively support him given his comments. She is upset, not at me, at him.

He is wise enough to know how these comments would upset his core fan base. He either takes our loyalty for granted, or doesn’t give a shit. It’s over.

I’ve met some great people, and knew that one day it would end. I didn’t except it to be like this.

Anonymous on here, but U.K. gig goers over the decades will know me.

Bye all.

Back
Top Bottom