Heifer shot to death in front of school

dicartwright

Some of you know, I live in Uruguay. We recently entered the Guinness book with the largest BBQ. And...
A scared and cornered -and already calmed- heifer was shot to death by policemen, in front of a School full of children, yesterday.
The animal had escaped while being transported to the docks and in a crazy run hurt a couple of police men. (Which I think was key to the killing later)
With a judge order they proceeded to lasso the animal, practically hanging by a tree, and then, once it was almost calmed, shot it in the head several times.
People all around them were crying out for the animal's life, the children (in the recess, so they were all out there) were frantic and hysterical.
But, there you go.

Black day for being Uruguayan.
Such ignorance, such cruelty.

:tears: :tears:

Cruelty in all its guises is rife.I have no desire to be told about it though.There would be nothing anyone could do to punish the people who did this.

Cruelty in all its guises is rife.I have no desire to be told about it though.

I understand, I couldn't watch the video. Instead I asked my mom to watch and tell me. The local vegetarian movement circulated an email today though and they're taking action. But I don't see a proper solution to this bestiality.

thats terrible, and coming from a veggie this may sound daft,
the animal did not deserve to die, but it was (and i'd put money on this) going to be killed anyhow, so being shot in the head has got to be much much quicker and nicer than what it might have otherwise gone through. :mad:

plus as Voodoo said, hopefully those kids will stop and think about where their meat comes from and decide they dont want to be a part of it anymore..
tragic thing, but hopefully one that will cause bigger good things to happen in the long run.
:)

Its horrible for that poor creature but maybe it could have done some good in the long run. Perhaps those kids will think twice before tucking into a piece of beef again now they have seen an innocent creature killed by humans.

That's true, hopefully. I'll write to the veggie org and ask them if there's a possibility of a discussion on the subject with those kids.

Its horrible for that poor creature but maybe it could have done some good in the long run. Perhaps those kids will think twice before tucking into a piece of beef again now they have seen an innocent creature killed by humans.

Yeah, right. Kids don't care. I'm not sure they're even capable of caring until they reach a certain age.

A couple weekends ago we ate at a pancake house. One of my 3 year olds got bacon with her pancakes. She asked whether it came from an animal, and if so, which one. We told it her came from a pig. She looked kinda sad for a second, but then brightened up and said, "I'm going to eat this pig!" She loved it. The next day, when I heated up some leftover pancakes for her, she looked at me sternly and said, "WHERE'S MY PIG?!?" I had to laugh.

Good luck lecturing to these kids about meat.

good idea Di, i was about to suggest that. ;)

Yeah, right. Kids don't care. I'm not sure they're even capable of caring until they reach a certain age.

A couple weekends ago we ate at a pancake house. One of my 3 year olds got bacon with her pancakes. She asked whether it came from an animal, and if so, which one. We told it her came from a pig. She looked kinda sad for a second, but then brightened up and said, "I'm going to eat this pig!" She loved it. The next day, when I heated up some leftover pancakes for her, she looked at me sternly and said, "WHERE'S MY PIG?!?" I had to laugh.

the problem with little children is they don't realise when you say "it comes from a pig" that the pig in question has to die to provide it, most children ive ever encountered get very distressed and then understand when you explain this nicely, (of course ytou have to say how the animals can feel pain too etc)

*does not wish this to turn into a meat vs veggie convo, so retreats* :)

I agree with you there, NRITH. But if even a couple of them feel it enough, or if a couple of seeds are planted, it's not useless. :cool:

the problem with little children is they don't realise when you say "it comes from a pig" that the pig in question has to die to provide it, most children ive ever encountered get very distressed and then understand when you explain this nicely, (of course ytou have to say how the animals can feel pain too etc)

*does not wish this to turn into a meat vs veggie convo, so retreats* :)

Oh, my kids are well aware of pain, suffering, and death--the 3 year olds, especially, are obsessed with it for some reason (I shouldn't have let their older sister tell them about Star Wars!). I don't really think there's much disconnect there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom