heir apparent

A

Anonymous

so let me ask, who do you guys/gals think is the heir apparent to morrissey. im sure artists out there are influenced by morrissey but which in your opinion actually comes close to embodying what morrissey is about personally and musically and i mean morrissey solo, not the smiths. i would go for patrick wolf myself who is one of my most adored current musical artists and only has amazing albums in his catalog. he has lots of diversity in sound and is so unafraid to be honest in his affection for things and people. doesnt seem afraid of embarrassment either. very obviously literary influenced as he litters almost all his songs with novels and references to great books and poetry. also to take it to a more trite level he's a giant gay man, british/irish i believe, who could probably pummel anyone who tried to make fun of him if they tried. love him to death.

one example from his stupidly upbeat album lupercalia following his downer of an album the bachelor:

-bermondsey street
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXF-4ZsINec

the words:

"She kisses him on Bermondsey Street
And rises high on the balls of her feet
Declares this the greatest love
Of the century

He fumbles for a wedding ring
She's no, no clone from Vogue magazine
She is complex in all her complexions
Love is here to heal

And I'm so proud of you but now you must too
Take pride with what this love you do

He kisses him on Bermondsey Street
And standing brave on the balls of his feet
Declares this the greatest love
Of the century

He fumbles for a wedding ring
He's no, no clone from Colt magazines
He is complex in all his complexions
Love is here to heal

And I'm so proud of you, now you must too
Take pride with what this love you do

Now you know, love knows no boundaries
Sees beyond sexuality
And holds the sun in the palm of its hand
And laughs down on the cynical man

Hear what I say, hear what I see
When two kisses sweet on Bermondsey Street

Regardless of religion, braver than any faith
No fear of society evolves you and me

Love, whoa
And two kisses sweet on Bermondsey Street now
Two kisses sweet
Two kisses sweet on Bermondsey Street now

And two kisses sweet on Bermondsey Street now
Two kisses sweet on Bermondsey Street"

next i would say the decemberists, collin, who is admittedly a huge fan. the story telling and jangle pop. the humor and clever lyrics with his use of victorian language and lexicon. the song billy liar shows his obvious love for morrisseys own influences. the story telling etc etc. wont post the lyrics cause everyones probably already heard the song but its nicelt dense and complicated imo.

-the sporting life (from picaresque and also a film)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sbbIX07Qg

"they condescend to fix on me a frown"

p.s. i thought this appropriate for this section since its about music that i think is morrissey influenced but if you guys decide that it should be in the other music section then please feel free to move it as no promotion of any kind is intended. cheers

i dont think i know a preston. he isnt an ordinary boy is he (wink) lol

cool. i actually thought you were joking being flippant and i was just connecting random info to attempt at being clever (isnt his name sam but i guess you guys just call him preston). i really loved the ordinary boys. first two albums are really good but the third i play to death, especially faultlines. god thats funny. hope he feels better now after the whole chantel business cause his solo song using happy house was pretty good, the Hercules movie video on youtube was funny, but when he didnt actually put the album out or should i say when it got shelved for some reason i kinda lost touch with what he was up to. did it ever end up being released cause id download that right now. id still go with the above but i have a really sweet spot for him and his music which was way better than some claimed. got some crap for posting it a few places which i found weird but i dont really know anything about him except for the music and a couple of write ups. i guess he was on some reality show or another and got some reputation or something or other. by the time i got into them from some random line i followed on allmusic they were already over. shame. do you like any of the bands people i posted above or see any morrisey connections. the sporting life is a really really good song.

Back
Top Bottom