Help in finding early press and reviews on The Smiths and the debut album

raincoated lover

concrete sister
I am a university student writing an essay on the sociological and musicological aspects of The Smiths debut album.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere online I could find an archive of early press regarding the band, live performances and the album itself upon release?

Such information would be invaluable at this belated stage - I have two weeks until hand in and am currently 150 miles away from my university library!

Many thanks as always,

Raincoated Lover

Thanks very much Lottie, this will be very useful.

Is anyone aware of anywhere I can find the band's opinions on the debut album in heinsight, or even at the time of release? Maybe in promotional interviews?

No problem..but my name is Lottie :confused:

For opinions from the band, you should scour youtube for videos on smiths documentaries like "these things take times", "young guns go for it" or "the south bank show".

I am a university student writing an essay on the sociological and musicological aspects of The Smiths debut album.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere online I could find an archive of early press regarding the band, live performances and the album itself upon release?

Such information would be invaluable at this belated stage - I have two weeks until hand in and am currently 150 miles away from my university library!

Many thanks as always,

Raincoated Lover

You should obtain a copy of "Those Charming Men", which has an exhaustive collection of reviews, interviews, and other clippings from the British music press from 1983-1987. The collection is heavily tilted toward 1983-1985.

The debut album and singles all followed the same basic critical trajectory: hailed as astonishing works of genius when they were released, opinion about them soon cooled considerably. The main complaint was the mediocre production of the songs, which for many people sounded much better live and on the BBC radio sessions. Still later Morrissey and Marr were even less kind about the debut, though, of course, continuing to maintain that it was still a magnificent achievement in the history of pop music. Check out "The Severed Alliance" and "The Songs That Saved Your Life" for more. It's certainly a very interesting side of The Smiths' early history, because the hype surrounding the band was both justified and, at the same time, overblown in some ways.

actually this site has early reviews and snippets i have not seen elsewhere
check www.luckylisp.com (the smiths file)

Back
Top Bottom