Help me find the right coffee maker. I can spend up to $500 - but would like to spend much less

Thats a nice Global - how long did it take before the first time you cut yourself using it?

Thats a nice Global - how long did it take before the first time you cut yourself using it?

Hah. The ONLY time was a little nick when I was unwrapping it for the first time! My brother gave us two as wedding gifts. They're pretty great!

Hah. The ONLY time was a little nick when I was unwrapping it for the first time! My brother gave us two as wedding gifts. They're pretty great!
Haha - you got yours outta the way right outta the box! I have the same one and it took me about two months but it was a nasty mf'er, almost needed stitches on my left thumb. Needless to say, I'm way more careful now when I use it.

Anyways, sorry for highjacking the thread...back to coffee talk!

Coffee_Talk_Linda_Richman.jpg

Last edited:
I placed the order minutes after Chickpea made the recommendation. Got a "not in stock" email from Amazon, and all these fulfillment status update emails (their way of saying don't cancel it's coming). I called them, product is made in Holland or Finland and now there are various models with carafes, dare I say thermoses, Americans prefer those, those are in stock, blah. Now, I got an email saying product in, and should be delivered by September 1st.

And if anyone wants a colored one they are about twice as expensive on eBay (all colors you can dream of, German seller) or $60 more from http://www.jlhufford.com/

Will post a pic as soon as I get it and have made a cup or four cups...

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing the pics and reading your review.

I'd rather be white trash than a tiresome coffee snob.

Yeah, you're right—a beverage regularly consumed by about a third of the entire global population IS pretty elite.

(And don't even get me started on people using KNIVES to chop food! Talk about snobbish...)

Yeah, you're right—a beverage regularly consumed by about a third of the entire global population IS pretty elite.

(And don't even get me started on people using KNIVES to chop food! Talk about snobbish...)

Oh come off it love, it's blatant that you and a few of you one here buy into this hipster style living with your skinny lattes and flat mochas whilst reading Ghost Milk on your iPad. It's the same as the craft beer scene, dicks with check shirts and beards. Nobody gave a f*** about it 15 years ago and people didn't give a shit until Starbucks became popular.

What annoys me is not people drinking coffee but the elitist crap that's now part of it, the Kopi Luwak, Barista style coffee, forking out hundreds of dollars just for a cup of f***ing coffee. There's a c*** where I work who's a coffee snob, I even found an excel spreadsheet him and a few of his colleagues had put together on one of our works servers whereby they all did tasting notes and marks out of ten for each coffee the all picked instead of doing actual work. Pathetic.

And talking of knives I'll bet you've got one of those japanese Santoku knives.

Oh come off it love, it's blatant that you and a few of you one here buy into this hipster style living with your skinny lattes and flat mochas whilst reading Ghost Milk on your iPad. It's the same as the craft beer scene, dicks with check shirts and beards. Nobody gave a f*** about it 15 years ago and people didn't give a shit until Starbucks became popular.

You really are clueless. I blame it on your habitus. Haha.

James Bond is fond of expensive expresso machines. This was filmed in 1973, in England. Great coffee has been brewed and enjoyed throughout the world long before the American company, Starbucks, came onto the scene.

Buy a La Pavoni machine here.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
your skinny lattes and flat mochas

The point of making my own basic coffee at home with a regular drip machine is that I don't drink either one of those things, and I don't want to pay for them, either. So, no.

whilst reading Ghost Milk

I have no idea what that is.

on your iPad.

I don't own an iPad.

It's the same as the craft beer scene,

I don't drink beer.

dicks with check shirts and beards.

I don't wear patterns and I don't have a beard, but I am a dick. You got me there.

Nobody gave a f*** about it 15 years ago and people didn't give a shit until Starbucks became popular.

LOL WHUT. Nobody drank coffee pre-Starbucks? That's just…hilariously wrong.

the Kopi Luwak, Barista style coffee, forking out hundreds of dollars just for a cup of f***ing coffee.

I have no idea what that is, but again, the point of making regular drip coffee at home is that you DON'T spend hundreds of dollars on a cup of f***ing coffee. You buy one good-quality, basic machine (or in my case, a very kind friend buys you one for your 38th birthday) and have it for decades. I don't like to re-buy things and I'm very thrifty, so quality of construction does matter to me. That comes with age.

I'll bet you've got one of those japanese Santoku knives.

I don't know what that is.

I think you might be confusing snobbery with average, everyday life.

You really are clueless. I blame it on your habitus. Haha.

James Bond is fond of expensive expresso machines. This was filmed in 1973, in England. Great coffee has been brewed and enjoyed throughout the world long before the American company, Starbucks, came onto the scene.

Buy a La Pavoni machine here.

James Bond isn't real you utter f***ing moron. Plus there's no such thing as a habitus. It's another one of your piss poor buzzwords coined from your ebook whilst your love eggs buzz in your dry, fetid old clam.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A few of my favorite coffee-related movie scenes...

James Bond isn't real

Ah, but the thousands of people using La Pavoni expresso machines throughout the world for over four decades are.

you utter f***ing moron.

14870488288_20c707a184_o.jpg

Plus there's no such thing as a habitus. It's another one of your piss poor buzzwords coined from your ebook whilst your love eggs buzz in your dry, fetid old clam.

Whisper that on Pierre Bourdieu's grave. Better yet, tell that to all the sociologists you happen to run into in the art department where you work. :rolleyes:

Those are great! The second one is a riot. :)

Airplane is one of those rare gems of a movie where just about every line is quotable.

Twin Peaks is what made me want to start drinking coffee. It just seemed like the beverage for people who want to get shit done. Of course, that's the same reason why I can't drink it anymore. I started drinking coffee daily 21 years ago and never looked back. I don't do moderation well—I'm an "all or none" kinda gal, and my body can't handle the screwed up sleep patterns anymore. I'm trying to learn how to sleep (and wake) like a normal person, and caffeine had to take a hike.

Airplane is one of those rare gems of a movie where just about every line is quotable.

Twin Peaks is what made me want to start drinking coffee. It just seemed like the beverage for people who want to get shit done. Of course, that's the same reason why I can't drink it anymore. I started drinking coffee daily 21 years ago and never looked back. I don't do moderation well—I'm an "all or none" kinda gal, and my body can't handle the screwed up sleep patterns anymore. I'm trying to learn how to sleep (and wake) like a normal person, and caffeine had to take a hike.

I have a good friend going through the exact same thing. Is a huge coffee aficionado (addict?). He gave it up cold turkey, three weeks ago, and is now starting to be able to get to bed before 2 am.

I have two cups in the morning and that is it for the rest of the day.

How long since you gave it up? Does your husband still drink it? Have you tried decaffeinated?

I have a good friend going through the exact same thing. Is a huge coffee aficionado (addict?). He gave it up cold turkey, three weeks ago, and is now starting to be able to get to bed before 2 am.

I have two cups in the morning and that is it for the rest of the day.

How long since you gave it up? Does your husband still drink it? Have you tried decaffeinated?

I gave it up 7 1/2 weeks ago. Not that I'm keeping track or anything, hah. I have had two small iced coffees during that time, though, and paid the price. At some point I would like to bring coffee back into my life as a weekend morning treat, but being totally dependent on it is no fun at all. I'm a workaholic and I love what I do, so sleeping always seems like a waste of time to me. I could manage on three hours of sleep when I was younger, but I'm no spring chicken anymore and I have an autoimmune disease, so I need my rest.

My husband switched to decaf at the same time I quit. Decaf has always seemed too middle-ground to me…too ehhh. Like navy blue instead of black. (I have issues.)

Back
Top Bottom