"Here’s how we reunite the Smiths..." - by Tony Fletcher - Salon.com

• Thread starter Roberto Ferdenzi
  • Start date
Yawn.

They would look RIDICULOUS on stage together. The media would pounce on Before & After shots of the band accentuating how old and tired and worn they look today. THey'd launch into Sweet & Tender Hooligan and moz would sing "And in the midst of life we are in debt etc!" and everyone would say, "SEE! THAT'S WHY THEY REFORMED." and mock them for reforming...then people would ask Boz (who has been very good and loyal to Morrissey) "How's it feel to be scrapped for the ex-wife?" Other than a bunch of people getting a 30 minute kick from hearing the songs from their acne'd youth then moving on like nothing happened, there's no benefit to reforming. THere's no chemistry. There's no nostalgia. It's stupid.

There is ONE benefit. It would get the interviewers to STFU about reforming. THat's it.

Last edited:
Yawn.

They would look RIDICULOUS on stage together. The media would pounce on Before & After shots of the band accentuating hiow old and tired and worn they look today. THey'd launch into Sweet & Tender Hooligan and moz would sing "And in the midst of life we are in debt etc!" and everyone would say, "SEE! THAT'S WHY THEY REFORMED." and mock them for reforming...then people would ask Boz (who has been very good and loyal to Morrissey) "How's it feel to be scrapped for the ex-wife?" Other than a bunch of people getting a 30 minute kick from hearing the songs from their acne'd youth then moving on like nothing happened, there's no benefit to reforming. THere's no chemistry. There's no nostalgia. It's stupid.

There is ONE benefit. It would get the interviewers to STFU about reforming. THat's it.

As if Morrissey needs marr have you seem him and heard his solo records. The are indie pop, just embarrassing
Also The grammys are a joke - tony. managed to get Kristeen nominated, via his friends.
How the f*** can they have someone who can't get signed and doesn't sell a venue of 50 on.
It's not as if she's arty either it's sub Tory Amos with 13 year olds lyrics

Yawn, snore, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't even make it through the whole article.

Whether or not someone wishes for a reunion is one thing, but to actually believe it would happen is just mind-bogglingly ridiculous.

I might be completely nuts but I've had a theory for a few years about the only way that the Smiths would possibly reform (maybe or maybe not with Mike Joyce). Even though it's pretty well documented that Morrissey has issues when it comes to money (lawsuits, stories of not paying people, etc.), I feel like part of the reason he has turned down any reunion offers has actually been that they've tried to throw ridiculous amounts of money at him and Johnny. While I'm sure they'd appreciate a big payday out of a reunion somewhere down the line, I think Morrissey's pride plays a big part in this. I'm sure a lot of us feel that he refuses to even entertain the thought of the Smiths reforming because it would be like admitting that his solo career has not lived up to his days with the Smiths. And I think that accepting tons of money would make him feel like he's going to be so judged as a guy who sold out for the big paycheck.

So I really think that if someone that was close enough to Morrissey and Johnny plus possibly Mike and Andy talked to them about doing some sort of one-off show that was kept very secret and hush-hush, which really never happens these days as word always leaks out, that may appeal to them. Morrissey is still passionate about music and performing and I think something like that which is not a giant reunion spectacle at a huge festival might actually appeal to him. It'd have to be kept completely unknown to practically everyone in the world and they could just come on stage as some extra band tacked on to a show at some small venue of a few hundred people or so. I'm sure this idea would still be far fetched and not likely to actually happen. But I could see the Smiths doing something like this rather than a widely publicized reunion or the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. I've had daydreams about trying to get something like this to happen myself but of course I don't know anyone even remotely close enough to any of them to make that work.

That was pretty rambling and incoherent and now you can proceed at telling me how ridiculous it is.

Yawn, snore, blah, blah, blah. I couldn't even make it through the whole article.

Whether or not someone wishes for a reunion is one thing, but to actually believe it would happen is just mind-bogglingly ridiculous.

I'm sure a lot of us feel that he refuses to even entertain the thought of the Smiths reforming because it would be like admitting that his solo career has not lived up to his days with the Smiths.

I personally think Morrissey's solo career has far, far, far exceeded that of the Smiths, and I'm quite sure Morrissey agrees.

Yawn.

They would look RIDICULOUS on stage together. The media would pounce on Before & After shots of the band accentuating how old and tired and worn they look today. THey'd launch into Sweet & Tender Hooligan and moz would sing "And in the midst of life we are in debt etc!" and everyone would say, "SEE! THAT'S WHY THEY REFORMED." and mock them for reforming...then people would ask Boz (who has been very good and loyal to Morrissey) "How's it feel to be scrapped for the ex-wife?" Other than a bunch of people getting a 30 minute kick from hearing the songs from their acne'd youth then moving on like nothing happened, there's no benefit to reforming. THere's no chemistry. There's no nostalgia. It's stupid.

Your right they probably shouldn't do it but not for the reasons you put forward Crystal, unlike his guitariokee puppets do you really think Johnny,Mike,Andy and Craig would put up with being told what t-shirt to wear on stage.
I once looked forward to seeing them back together but not anymore such is the c*** he is these days they don't deserve to be subjected to the silly idiot formally known as Morrissey

I might be completely nuts but I've had a theory for a few years about the only way that the Smiths would possibly reform (maybe or maybe not with Mike Joyce). Even though it's pretty well documented that Morrissey has issues when it comes to money (lawsuits, stories of not paying people, etc.), I feel like part of the reason he has turned down any reunion offers has actually been that they've tried to throw ridiculous amounts of money at him and Johnny. While I'm sure they'd appreciate a big payday out of a reunion somewhere down the line, I think Morrissey's pride plays a big part in this. I'm sure a lot of us feel that he refuses to even entertain the thought of the Smiths reforming because it would be like admitting that his solo career has not lived up to his days with the Smiths. And I think that accepting tons of money would make him feel like he's going to be so judged as a guy who sold out for the big paycheck.

So I really think that if someone that was close enough to Morrissey and Johnny plus possibly Mike and Andy talked to them about doing some sort of one-off show that was kept very secret and hush-hush, which really never happens these days as word always leaks out, that may appeal to them. Morrissey is still passionate about music and performing and I think something like that which is not a giant reunion spectacle at a huge festival might actually appeal to him. It'd have to be kept completely unknown to practically everyone in the world and they could just come on stage as some extra band tacked on to a show at some small venue of a few hundred people or so. I'm sure this idea would still be far fetched and not likely to actually happen. But I could see the Smiths doing something like this rather than a widely publicized reunion or the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. I've had daydreams about trying to get something like this to happen myself but of course I don't know anyone even remotely close enough to any of them to make that work.

That was pretty rambling and incoherent and now you can proceed at telling me how ridiculous it is.

i dont know it was pretty intriguing actually and i might be willing to believe it plays a factor

I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that he probably feels that if he does a reunion with the Smiths, that's what people will say. Like "oh he knows The Smiths were so great and his solo career was so-so. He needs Johnny Marr", etc. I'm not saying that's how I feel but that's part of his refusal to do it.

I personally think Morrissey's solo career has far, far, far exceeded that of the Smiths, and I'm quite sure Morrissey agrees.

Not to mention HALF THE BAND SUED HIM.

Say in college you were Beer Pong Grand Champions with your buddy. THen twenty years down the line your buddy TOOK YOU TO COURT, drug your name through the press, portrayed you as a greedy, money-grubbing person. THen say twenty years later your other friends said you should get back together and play Beer Pong with your buddy for old times sake. Your buddy WHO SUED YOU.

Would you tell them to f*** off? I think so.

Bury the hatchet in their heads. It'll never happen, jerk off to The Beatles reuniting, it's just as likely.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that he probably feels that if he does a reunion with the Smiths, that's what people will say. Like "oh he knows The Smiths were so great and his solo career was so-so. He needs Johnny Marr", etc. I'm not saying that's how I feel but that's part of his refusal to do it.

Ah, OK, I get how you mean that now! And yeah, I'm sure people would interpret it that way.

I don't think that's his reasoning, though. I think he's just moved on (and on, and on) from the Smiths at this point that there is no reason for him to want to look back for any reason. The lawsuit was the box of 600 nails in the coffin.

It's not something I've ever wished for, but I understand why others do.

Yeah, that he's moved on from that time so long ago is a legit reason to have no interest in it on his part. It makes sense.

I think it's really best if it never happens. Those types of reunions usually taint the greatness of the band from back in the day. But if it does happen, I will be there of course.

Ah, OK, I get how you mean that now! And yeah, I'm sure people would interpret it that way.

I don't think that's his reasoning, though. I think he's just moved on (and on, and on) from the Smiths at this point that there is no reason for him to want to look back for any reason. The lawsuit was the box of 600 nails in the coffin.

It's not something I've ever wished for, but I understand why others do.

A reunion will never, never, never happen. I, for one, am relieved. I would be terrified that it would tarnish the memory (and legacy) of something so perfect and, as Jeff992 pointed out, make it look like M is down and out and needs them. And that is 100% not true!!! WPINOYB is wonderful, I enjoy it more and more with each listen. :)

The Smiths are so precious to me, I can't go from watching 25-year old Morrissey and 21-year old Johnny playing Barbarism Begins at Home at Rockpalast to seeing everyone in their 50s trying to reignite that flame. There's nothing wrong with their ages now, they are all still young and Moz is in great form, but they can't be what they were back then. The hunger and drive is gone and it would ruin it for me.

I was aware fully that Bands Reunited was pretty scripted..but damned if I didn't tune in every week. Even for bands that I couldn't give a toss about.

Or you can try this approach. The McDonalds bag o'burgers is a nice touch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I think Andy Rourke would show if there was a guarantee the backstage spread had pork pies, blood sausage, and whatever disgusting Brit fat ass meat food he could think of. This guy was fat even when he was a heroin addict.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom