Here we go again another fake

I find it quite interesting how Morrissey has changed his autograph. Why do you think that is? His handwriting has completely evolved and changed over time. Big long balooning R's and that big Y tail. Perhaps he does it just as a signature to sign by? In his Smiths days his signature is always like an etching into something with a knife.

So this was brought to my attention, as is on one of those ridiculous scalper websites for an extortionate price of £725. Is it legit though? It looks really beautiful, and a signed Moz Strangeways done recently... well that'd be a dream to own...

Lovely item, Which site did you find that on?

Lovely item, Which site did you find that on?
Unsure if i am allowed to post a link as I am new to the forums, but here:
(Very pricey - although it looks way better than any of the old barely recognisable signatures. I have several Morrissey signed items: his two books, Bona Drag, & Your Arsenal. The signatures on all of them match perfectly with this Strangeways sig...)

http://www.rareandsigned.com/?page=...rd=strangeways&searchby=keyword&offset=0&fs=1

Unsure if i am allowed to post a link as I am new to the forums, but here:
(Very pricey - although it looks way better than any of the old barely recognisable signatures. I have several Morrissey signed items: his two books, Bona Drag, & Your Arsenal. The signatures on all of them match perfectly with this Strangeways sig...)

http://www.rareandsigned.com/?page=...rd=strangeways&searchby=keyword&offset=0&fs=1

Hmm, ive seen a lot of garbage Morrissey signatures on that site over the years, But the strangeways looks good.

These are off the same site and look garbage, There's far too many moz/smiths signed items on that site for my liking.

morrisseysignedautobiographyfirstprinting.jpg
morrisseysignedautobiographyhbedition.jpg

all those signatures on that site are not morrisseys. although they look pretty close, certain letters are off(he has never done in that certain way) and his R swooshes are also angled off. whoever signed these record sleeves must've had a good time practicing because they signed it all similar and in one smooth transition.

i also find it pretty funny that 5 of these sleeves are signed with the same blue marker.

whoever has purchased any merch from there, I'm sorry... or is thinking of purchasing please don't. your $ would be a waste.

I ve collected for years, if you disagree then please be my guest, fill your boots, it ll be a great investment for you.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What's the story here? Do we reckon this is a fake? I have seen a few fake white labels over the years with labels stuck over the original or where one as been scraped off and replaced but this one looks "good". I'm guessing a test for the jukebox pressing, as the matrix suggests but the writing on the labels looks fresh, which always puts doubts in the mind. Thoughts?
It's been withdrawn by the looks of it.
The label does look a tiny bit too 'fresh' though.
If anyone is going to part with £900 - better safe than sorry.
Regards,
FWD.

What's the story here? Do we reckon this is a fake? I have seen a few fake white labels over the years with labels stuck over the original or where one as been scraped off and replaced but this one looks "good". I'm guessing a test for the jukebox pressing, as the matrix suggests but the writing on the labels looks fresh, which always puts doubts in the mind. Thoughts?

Back in March I bought what was advertised as a 7" white label test pressing of Sheila Take a Bow. It was listed on Discogs and silly me I did not ask for photos before purchasing. The record arrived and looked exactly like the William on eBay, different catalogue number/runouts of course. Additionally, before it arrived the seller messaged me saying he had found a William 7" TP, this time I asked for photos, and it WAS the one just listed on eBay. I told him I thought they were fakes for the following reasons:

The paper type is different relative to all other Smiths white labels I have. It feels like a thin, modern computer paper, and is more like a sticker than an actual pressed on label.

Given the condition of the record, the Sheila was also VG to VG-, the labels likely would not be as bright white and clean as they were. They were pristine.

And the handwriting on both was identical. The Sheila came in a similar card sleeve with the title written diagonally in the corner, and also had the same label markings of "AJ" and "X25."

As FWD mentioned, it's possible these could be withdrawn pressings, but my guess is someone removed the original labels and put these on to look like the real thing.

It's been withdrawn by the looks of it.
The label does look a tiny bit too 'fresh' though.
If anyone is going to part with £900 - better safe than sorry.
Regards,
FWD.

Not in a million years I would pay that amount of money.
And never being really sure if it wasn't fake.
Of course I would spend it happily on official releases yet to come if and when in the pipeline but that new album won't probably be not enough.

He said he has written enough material for 2 albums. I will remind him of his words!
Then there might an occasional DVD of a concert (another Hollywood Bowl, but now official?) Reissues of YATQ, ROTT, YOR and WPINOYB but counting, I'd say I'd still have some cash left.
Thinking about going to the Hollywood Bowl in November! Ha. :D

Back in March I bought what was advertised as a 7" white label test pressing of Sheila Take a Bow. It was listed on Discogs and silly me I did not ask for photos before purchasing. The record arrived and looked exactly like the William on eBay, different catalogue number/runouts of course. Additionally, before it arrived the seller messaged me saying he had found a William 7" TP, this time I asked for photos, and it WAS the one just listed on eBay. I told him I thought they were fakes for the following reasons:

The paper type is different relative to all other Smiths white labels I have. It feels like a thin, modern computer paper, and is more like a sticker than an actual pressed on label.

Given the condition of the record, the Sheila was also VG to VG-, the labels likely would not be as bright white and clean as they were. They were pristine.

And the handwriting on both was identical. The Sheila came in a similar card sleeve with the title written diagonally in the corner, and also had the same label markings of "AJ" and "X25."

As FWD mentioned, it's possible these could be withdrawn pressings, but my guess is someone removed the original labels and put these on to look like the real thing.

Exactly, billion percent fake! Don't even open your mind to the possibility of these being 'withdrawn test pressings', the sellers a f***in' conman and we should make no bones about it - The label looks like backing to an original stock label, or as you say, it's been replaced completely with a self stick label. It's frayed and rough, fluffy in places, U can even tell by the way the ink has soaked in. Now, either the listing's been removed due the seller being rumbled, or someone has made a private offer and bought it anyway. Those black labels 'rubber-ring' was selling were also fake. If anyone's bought these, give ya' head a wobble and get your money back!

Indeed.
My use of the term withdrawn was in meaning the seller had removed the item from sale, not withdrawn pressings! :)
I haven't used ebay in a long time as my trust has long gone and I don't spend as much as I was once willing to.
It's a shame when someone is wanting what is a month's wages to some people - offering something that they've potentially created in 5 minutes with no scruples or integrity.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Tags
#strangewaysherewecome autograph newfavethread signature signed
Back
Top Bottom