Here we go again another fake

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRISSE...L-TEST-PRESSING-12-LP-THE-SMITHS/183000903295

First off, I'm not saying this is fake, i know the seller has a good reputation for selling smiths items, but Morrissey mustve forgot how to spell his own name on this one. No 'i' or 'e'
..and with a lot of plain white labels now popping up, it's no stretch to think some of them might be getting signed unauthentically.

lihs.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRISSE...L-TEST-PRESSING-12-LP-THE-SMITHS/183000903295

First off, I'm not saying this is fake, i know the seller has a good reputation for selling smiths items, but Morrissey mustve forgot how to spell his own name on this one. No 'i' or 'e'
..and with a lot of plain white labels now popping up, it's no stretch to think some of them might be getting signed unauthentically.

View attachment 43437

it looks too carefully done. And of course the misspelling. I say 'fake'.

not the greatest item, even if its real...

How much were emporium selling them for, £200 as well?

Whoever signed that stopped to gather their thoughts as least three times on the second R. It's unlikely anyone signing their own name would do that.

Where as I don't think it's genuine, those three or so 'pauses' that you're seeing on the second letter R is more likely from going over the ledge or lip that pretrudes from the label. All records have two small circles around the spindle hole, some stick our more than others, and if you look carefully you can see that each of those little 'slip-ups' have occurred whilst going over those pretruding circles.
So whilst I'm highly skeptical that this is a genuine signature, I'm pretty sure that the dodgy looking R comes from writing over the sticking out circles. I wish I coyld describe it more elegantly bit I'm hoping you get the idea :)

Where as I don't think it's genuine, those three or so 'pauses' that you're seeing on the second letter R is more likely from going over the ledge or lip that pretrudes from the label. All records have two small circles around the spindle hole, some stick our more than others, and if you look carefully you can see that each of those little 'slip-ups' have occurred whilst going over those pretruding circles.
So whilst I'm highly skeptical that this is a genuine signature, I'm pretty sure that the dodgy looking R comes from writing over the sticking out circles. I wish I coyld describe it more elegantly bit I'm hoping you get the idea :)

Good spot, I thought that after I wrote it and was hoping nobody would pick up on it lol.

How can you tell if you are buying genuine smiths autographs

What do you lool for

I'd take multiple known genuine autographs and look for common things that are always in them, the slanting of the letters, size, does the y always look the same for example. Where it's come from - a lot of Morrissey autographs are from promotions - these are very expensive in general though. Often enough you can rule out something because of who's selling it. If all fails ask on here, sometimes I disagree when someone says fake but I don't see people claiming real when they aren't so you'll be safe.

Thanks for the heads up, the Joyce one is similar to the one I got Marr is roughly the same but the the morrissey is the one I had concerns with

Tags
#strangewaysherewecome autograph newfavethread signature signed
Back
Top Bottom