'He's on really good form': BMG's Korda Marshall on Morrissey's comeback - Music Week

'He's on really good form': BMG's Korda Marshall on Morrissey's comeback - Music Week
by Andre Paine
September 1st 2017 at 6:17AM

"In all my years working in music, it’s the strongest collection of songs that I’ve ever been involved with – I wouldn’t say that lightly." - Korda Marshall

Excerpt:
What can we expect from the album?

It’s a beautiful collection of songs. He’s on really good form. I went over to the studio in Rome, they were in Ennio Morricone’s studio [Forum Music Village] where they were recording it. The band are absolutely on fire. It’s tremendously exciting. We are just coordinating all the plans for this autumn. There are going to be some more American tour dates announced. It’s an amazing album.

Are there any particular themes for this Morrissey record?

He certainly has a view on what’s going on in the world, and that’s reflected in the songs. There’s quite a strong personal side to the record as well. In many ways it’s classic Morrissey. There’s a perspective on all the sort of things that are happening in the world. It’s lovely to be involved in an album that has an opinion. In all my years working in music, it’s the strongest collection of songs that I’ve ever been involved with – I wouldn’t say that lightly. He’s spent a lot of energy and emotion making the record. He’s very excited about it. He’s really looking forward to going out and playing the songs.

Morrissey has spoken of health problems in recent years…

He’s fit, he’s healthy, and he’s really enjoyed making the record.

The album is being released on the newly-created Etienne imprint, what will that be used for?

Etienne is Steven in French. We wanted to give him a vehicle where he could do other things, to give him a platform of his own. We felt that was important and he wanted to do that. We had conversations about it and we think it’s a really good approach that he’s got his own label identity, so he can do other things if he wants to.

Is he planning on releasing other acts via Etienne?

That’s not really part of the discussion. We’re just really happy that he’s happy. We’ve got a collection of labels at BMG, we had a discussion about what label he wanted to be on and he wanted to do his own label. It’s a vehicle for whatever he wants to do. It’s part of the process of giving him the creative freedom he deserves and needs.

What else does his partnership with BMG cover?

We have also signed the publishing going forward as well [worldwide for future releases]. It’s a long-term relationship...

'more American tour dates'!
Refreshing to see such an interview and it sounds promising despite him giving little away.
Regards,
FWD.

(Thanks to BMG UK for the link) .

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be brilliant, it may be shite. But what record company executive with a record to sell is going to say anything other than it's brilliant? The meta-criticism once it drops will be of more value.

It may be brilliant, it may be shite. But what record company executive with a record to sell is going to say anything other than it's brilliant? The meta-criticism once it drops will be of more value.
Let the sunshine in P. ;)
You are, of course, quite right - nobody in A&R is going to say anything less. I guess one of the downfalls of seldom releasing albums & needing 'comebacks' is people get extremely excited to hear anything and after the initial few listens feel deflated as the excitement wanes and after a week or two out come the 'it's not that good actually' types.
I hope it is not reviewed through a prism of recent events and that people get an album and tour to please all.
That said, I can hear the knives sharpening already. :)
Regards,
FWD.

Let the sunshine in P. ;)
You are, of course, quite right - nobody in A&R is going to say anything less. I guess one of the downfalls of seldom releasing albums & needing 'comebacks' is people get extremely excited to hear anything and after the initial few listens feel deflated as the excitement wanes and after a week or two out come the 'it's not that good actually' types.
I hope it is not reviewed through a prism of recent events and that people get an album and tour to please all.
That said, I can hear the knives sharpening already. :)
Regards,
FWD.

Fantastic post!

yrwss.jpg

And why will the meta-criticism be of more value once it "drops." At that point we can listen to it on Spotify and make up our own minds.

it has to be better than the last one. I have yet to hear the complete wpinoyb

Really kind and elegant words from Korda Marshall . You can read some genuine interest apparently from both sides , I was going to say I hope Moz don't f*** up but on the other hand who really knows who f***ed up the last record. I feel WPINOYB is a very good album and became underrated because of the feud with Harvest .

Really kind and elegant words from Korda Marshall . You can read some genuine interest apparently from both sides , I was going to say I hope Moz don't f*** up but on the other hand who really knows who f***ed up the last record. I feel WPINOYB is a very good album and became underrated because of the feud with Harvest .

The feud had nothing to do with it being a flop.

Listen to it, then you'll realise why it bombed. Listen carefully to its hit single Kiss Me A Lot and the shite The Bullfighter Dies. Utter dross.

The feud had nothing to do with it being a flop.

Listen to it, then you'll realise why it bombed. Listen carefully to its hit single Kiss Me A Lot and the shite The Bullfighter Dies. Utter dross.
I agree with the bullfighter dies and also kick the bride

"There’s a perspective on all the sort of things that are happening in the world. It’s lovely to be involved in an album that has an opinion."

Lovely. Because I LOVED the ham-handed political clunkery on World Peace and really wanted another batch of that. Maybe he can get the ol' publicity going by saying shocking and borderline offensive things to the press.

I agree with the bullfighter dies and also kick the bride

I find "Bullfighter" to be a catchy little number, but fully agree on "Kick the Bride....". A strong contender for Worst Song of Morrissey's Career.

Overall, I find WPINYOB entirely forgettable. It should have been a 5 song EP with the 5 best tracks, with the rest left on the cutting room floor. Hoping for a better outcome with Low in High-School.

And as for these to-be-announced autumn dates (as mentioned in the article)... better hop to it. It's September 1st already.

"There’s a perspective on all the sort of things that are happening in the world. It’s lovely to be involved in an album that has an opinion."

Lovely. Because I LOVED the ham-handed political clunkery on World Peace and really wanted another batch of that. Maybe he can get the ol' publicity going by saying shocking and borderline offensive things to the press.

You forgot the part which says

"There’s quite a strong personal side to the record as well."

'We’d like as many people to hear it and enjoy it as we can get. We honestly believe he’s made a great record. In my 30-odd years in A&R, I’ve been involved in some amazing talent making unbelievable music. This is a really, truly special record.

It’s interesting timing with the biopic England Is Mine out now…

The zeitgeist’s an amazing thing isn’t it? He’s a culturally significant artist and it’s really important that these artists are looked after, cherished and supported.'

and so with bated breath we wait.
:)

I find "Bullfighter" to be a catchy little number, but fully agree on "Kick the Bride....". A strong contender for Worst Song of Morrissey's Career.

Overall, I find WPINYOB entirely forgettable. It should have been a 5 song EP with the 5 best tracks, with the rest left on the cutting room floor. Hoping for a better outcome with Low in High-School.

And as for these to-be-announced autumn dates (as mentioned in the article)... better hop to it. It's September 1st already.

I loved world peace but that's kinda how I felt about refusal, that it fine but forgettable. I was pretty happy to see world peace up the quality from that album. Yeah I don't know if you can call it a comeback from anything. He hit number two in the U.K. So if anything that was the comeback from refusals three

Yes, a record company exec is only going to say good things about an upcoming album, but it sounds like they've gone further and invested in the larger legacy by giving Moz his own label.

It's very cool that they went back to Morricone's studio with a solid producer.

Would be feeling more confident if Alain had been welcomed back into the fold... But if Boz has dug deep and come up with Speedway or Now My Heart is Full-quality tracks...

Bring it!

Morrissey needs a label with guts that can stand up to him for his own good.

They need to tell him that they will not ask for any merch/tour profits, if in turn, he doesn't make his new songs over 3 1/2 minutes long.

All 'mature' artists fall into the trap of all songs need to be 5 minute midtempo slogs when they reach the age of 40+. Even punk bands do this shit.

This guy Korda gets it, 'cause Moz is a great artist and deserves a platform to present his art.
Ah, ya gotta fight for art to get through and the fine folks like Korda, who provide support, should be applauded.
Here's to ya, from The Wild Turkey.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom