'He's on really good form': BMG's Korda Marshall on Morrissey's comeback - Music Week

'He's on really good form': BMG's Korda Marshall on Morrissey's comeback - Music Week
by Andre Paine
September 1st 2017 at 6:17AM

"In all my years working in music, it’s the strongest collection of songs that I’ve ever been involved with – I wouldn’t say that lightly." - Korda Marshall

Excerpt:
What can we expect from the album?

It’s a beautiful collection of songs. He’s on really good form. I went over to the studio in Rome, they were in Ennio Morricone’s studio [Forum Music Village] where they were recording it. The band are absolutely on fire. It’s tremendously exciting. We are just coordinating all the plans for this autumn. There are going to be some more American tour dates announced. It’s an amazing album.

Are there any particular themes for this Morrissey record?

He certainly has a view on what’s going on in the world, and that’s reflected in the songs. There’s quite a strong personal side to the record as well. In many ways it’s classic Morrissey. There’s a perspective on all the sort of things that are happening in the world. It’s lovely to be involved in an album that has an opinion. In all my years working in music, it’s the strongest collection of songs that I’ve ever been involved with – I wouldn’t say that lightly. He’s spent a lot of energy and emotion making the record. He’s very excited about it. He’s really looking forward to going out and playing the songs.

Morrissey has spoken of health problems in recent years…

He’s fit, he’s healthy, and he’s really enjoyed making the record.

The album is being released on the newly-created Etienne imprint, what will that be used for?

Etienne is Steven in French. We wanted to give him a vehicle where he could do other things, to give him a platform of his own. We felt that was important and he wanted to do that. We had conversations about it and we think it’s a really good approach that he’s got his own label identity, so he can do other things if he wants to.

Is he planning on releasing other acts via Etienne?

That’s not really part of the discussion. We’re just really happy that he’s happy. We’ve got a collection of labels at BMG, we had a discussion about what label he wanted to be on and he wanted to do his own label. It’s a vehicle for whatever he wants to do. It’s part of the process of giving him the creative freedom he deserves and needs.

What else does his partnership with BMG cover?

We have also signed the publishing going forward as well [worldwide for future releases]. It’s a long-term relationship...

'more American tour dates'!
Refreshing to see such an interview and it sounds promising despite him giving little away.
Regards,
FWD.

(Thanks to BMG UK for the link) .

Last edited by a moderator:

yes, I agree that one can see that that's the reason for it, though I feel it's just a little too early in the album to have done that.

It makes more sense to me when it comes after Neil Cassidy which has the loudest guitar stomp to it. It would have been weird to just have a song like I'm not a man start after the previous ends. To jarring and the silence bit of noise is a nice segway between the two tracks. Adds more dynamic. Personally I thought it was weird that anyone even made thing of it and was surprised to read it in reviews

yrwss.jpg

And why will the meta-criticism be of more value once it "drops." At that point we can listen to it on Spotify and make up our own minds.

it has to be better than the last one. I have yet to hear the complete wpinoyb

'diminishing returns' and yet... you always return.

:cool:
Yeah yeah, cause "All I need is..." I've said it before, and I'll say it again now. He's one of the only artists I can think of who is equally interesting during times of brilliance as he is in times of trainwreck. I want him to put out his swan song, but I'll be damned if he doesn't keep putting out... I dunno what the opposite of swansong is-
Duck opera? Pigeon poetry?

Like I said "I even hope it is good." :)

It makes more sense to me when it comes after Neil Cassidy which has the loudest guitar stomp to it. It would have been weird to just have a song like I'm not a man start after the previous ends. To jarring and the silence bit of noise is a nice segway between the two tracks. Adds more dynamic. Personally I thought it was weird that anyone even made thing of it and was surprised to read it in reviews

yes, you have a point. Maybe the song would have worked better somewhere else without that silent/ambient intro. Don't know where it would have worked better though, haven't given it much thought. Maybe M went through the same problem of not knowing exactly where to put it, then thought it would work there with the added intro. Who knows. Or maybe he knew it would bother people, so he did it. :lbf:

yes, you have a point. Maybe the song would have worked better somewhere else without that silent/ambient intro. Don't know where it would have worked better though, haven't given it much thought. Maybe M went through the same problem of not knowing exactly where to put it, then thought it would work there with the added intro. Who knows. Or maybe he knew it would bother people, so he did it. :lbf:

I find track listing interesting and world peace was paced interestingly to me. Like all of the poppier jauntier songs are kinda placed in the middle (staircase bullfighter kiss me a lot) of the album which is kinda neat. It starts with a bunch of more dramatic songs and song structures and then moves into more typically catchy pop/rock indie rock songs and ends with the slower quieter numbers. It's for me an album that doesn't work as well when on shuffle

He’s spent a lot of energy and emotion making the record.

(while living large in the french Five Star Hotels, stuffing himself with the finest Cheese platters.):sweat:
I bet he worked very hard.:busstop:

I have a feeling there's going to be no promotion for the album, on Moz's part. Hence BMG will do all the work.

Their representative will be like "work is a four letter word".

YAWN

He’s spent a lot of energy and emotion making the record.

(while living large in the french Five Star Hotels, stuffing himself with the finest Cheese platters.):sweat:
I bet he worked very hard.:busstop:

didn't know they had 'french Five Star Hotels' in Rome where the record was made.

I have a feeling there's going to be no promotion for the album, on Moz's part. Hence BMG will do all the work.

I really hope that's not the case ... let's not have the Harvest scenario play out again. Other well-established artists are willing to get out and do some promotion, don't know why it should be so beneath Morrissey.

Last edited:

Stomp it is not

I am really happy for him. He must be so excited. He always works so hard. You know we love you.

Moz is always complaining about the lack of publicity of his albums but he must do his part too
I mean, I want to see HIM talking about HIS album and his lyrics and the context etc ...
To me that kind of stuff is very important.
Es justo y necesario

I find track listing interesting and world peace was paced interestingly to me. Like all of the poppier jauntier songs are kinda placed in the middle (staircase bullfighter kiss me a lot) of the album which is kinda neat. It starts with a bunch of more dramatic songs and song structures and then moves into more typically catchy pop/rock indie rock songs and ends with the slower quieter numbers. It's for me an album that doesn't work as well when on shuffle

This is exactly where the album's lull begins for me and never quite recovers. After Instanbul, I immediately start skipping through the songs until I eventually hit reject on my Rotel RCD-1072 cd player (unfortunately don't have the vinyl). Shame because the first four tracks perform really well together, but after that, it falls off the cliff for me and largely becomes forgettable.

This is exactly where the album's lull begins for me and never quite recovers. After Instanbul, I immediately start skipping through the songs until I eventually hit reject on my Rotel RCD-1072 cd player (unfortunately don't have the vinyl). Shame because the first four tracks perform really well together, but after that, it falls off the cliff for me and largely becomes forgettable.

To each there own. I might not like the middle section as much as the start but I still enjoy it. the middle guitar part on staircase as well as the guitar on earth is, the sudden surprise accordion on bullfighter (as well as the simple but catchy hook) and the joy filled (it literally trumpets the arrival of its statement of affection) kiss me a lot with its handclaps and shouting. I really liked the album and consider it one of my favorites though it does have some small flaws. I don't like the beat to staircase or the block in smiler and sometimes kick the bride drags. Personally Istanbul is a song I only sorta like as I find it a bit to straightforward kinda like bull fighter (minus the accordion). It's a very varied album. Previously morrissey albums kinda had stylistic themes, which is fine but can be sorta limited sometimes, and world peace was varied in a way a morrissey album hasn't been since maybe bona drag. That alone was sorta refreshing. It was also neat to see it kinda touch on all his different periods as if it was supposed to stand as a summation of his career. If he had ended with that album I feel he would have gone out on top form. At Least musically

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom