'He's on really good form': BMG's Korda Marshall on Morrissey's comeback - Music Week

'He's on really good form': BMG's Korda Marshall on Morrissey's comeback - Music Week
by Andre Paine
September 1st 2017 at 6:17AM

"In all my years working in music, it’s the strongest collection of songs that I’ve ever been involved with – I wouldn’t say that lightly." - Korda Marshall

Excerpt:
What can we expect from the album?

It’s a beautiful collection of songs. He’s on really good form. I went over to the studio in Rome, they were in Ennio Morricone’s studio [Forum Music Village] where they were recording it. The band are absolutely on fire. It’s tremendously exciting. We are just coordinating all the plans for this autumn. There are going to be some more American tour dates announced. It’s an amazing album.

Are there any particular themes for this Morrissey record?

He certainly has a view on what’s going on in the world, and that’s reflected in the songs. There’s quite a strong personal side to the record as well. In many ways it’s classic Morrissey. There’s a perspective on all the sort of things that are happening in the world. It’s lovely to be involved in an album that has an opinion. In all my years working in music, it’s the strongest collection of songs that I’ve ever been involved with – I wouldn’t say that lightly. He’s spent a lot of energy and emotion making the record. He’s very excited about it. He’s really looking forward to going out and playing the songs.

Morrissey has spoken of health problems in recent years…

He’s fit, he’s healthy, and he’s really enjoyed making the record.

The album is being released on the newly-created Etienne imprint, what will that be used for?

Etienne is Steven in French. We wanted to give him a vehicle where he could do other things, to give him a platform of his own. We felt that was important and he wanted to do that. We had conversations about it and we think it’s a really good approach that he’s got his own label identity, so he can do other things if he wants to.

Is he planning on releasing other acts via Etienne?

That’s not really part of the discussion. We’re just really happy that he’s happy. We’ve got a collection of labels at BMG, we had a discussion about what label he wanted to be on and he wanted to do his own label. It’s a vehicle for whatever he wants to do. It’s part of the process of giving him the creative freedom he deserves and needs.

What else does his partnership with BMG cover?

We have also signed the publishing going forward as well [worldwide for future releases]. It’s a long-term relationship...

'more American tour dates'!
Refreshing to see such an interview and it sounds promising despite him giving little away.
Regards,
FWD.

(Thanks to BMG UK for the link) .

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly where the album's lull begins for me and never quite recovers. After Instanbul, I immediately start skipping through the songs until I eventually hit reject on my Rotel RCD-1072 cd player (unfortunately don't have the vinyl). Shame because the first four tracks perform really well together, but after that, it falls off the cliff for me and largely becomes forgettable.

Thanks for including the specific model of CD player you use. That was very necessary information. We are all very impressed. Then we were even more impressed by your humbling of yourself to admit vinyl would be even better. Bravo, good sir. Bravo. :clap::clap::clap::clap::highfive::clap::clap::clap:

so it's going to be a political album with an individual, personal stance. i'm happy to hear that.

Because you're a complete f***ing idiot, unable to appreciate that his attempts on the last album to seem "political" were a complete f***ing embarrassment? Is that the reason? Is it?

Seriously, these are not rhetoric questions.

so it's going to be a political album with an individual, personal stance. i'm happy to hear that.

Yep, he is gonna be very political and focus on important personal subjects like the secret increased price of Oreo's from them making the oreo packet smaller to how hard it is to get his hands on swedish chocolate at the foreign market cause of the tightened border control.

This is going to be heavy shit!

Thanks for including the specific model of CD player you use. That was very necessary information. We are all very impressed. Then we were even more impressed by your humbling of yourself to admit vinyl would be even better. Bravo, good sir. Bravo. :clap::clap::clap::clap::highfive::clap::clap::clap:

Must be a slow day at the office for you, huh? Or are my taxes funding the leeches yet again?

Bravo, good sir. Bravo.

I'm not a man.

I am hoping it's going to have some dark, edgy sound and none of that flamingo nonsense. It really ages him and takes away from his cool personality.

Personally, I think he should do more flamingo.

I am looking forward to listening to this album. I think the songs will be good. I will listen to Side A and then I will listen to Side B. And then rinse and repeat.

I am looking forward to listening to this album. I think the songs will be good. I will listen to Side A and then I will listen to Side B. And then rinse and repeat.

I concur, Married. The last album had the most diversity and catchiest melodies of any since the Bona Drag era, and we have the same three songwriters and producer involved for this one. Bring it on!
MM

Great interview. It is wonderful to know that he is in great spirits and feeling well. I'm also glad to hear some of the new album is "classic Morrissey" because I've missed that. It would be great to hear more songs closer to SYSD or LNMS. I'm seeking an escape from the madness and sadness that's happening all over the world these days. I just don't want a politically fueled album.

Great interview. It is wonderful to know that he is in great spirits and feeling well. I'm also glad to hear some of the new album is "classic Morrissey" because I've missed that. It would be great to hear more songs closer to SYSD or LNMS. I'm seeking an escape from the madness and sadness that's happening all over the world these days. I just don't want a politically fueled album.
Or as Korda would say it, "he is on great spirits" :p

What songs are SYSD and LNMS?

Seasick, Yet Still Docked and Late Night, Maudlin Street.

Of course! (Slams hand against forehead)
Now why didn't I get that in an instant and all abbreviations of all Smiths and Moz songs were tumbling over in my head and confusing me and now I feel guilty for NOT immediately recognize them.
I am not at that level of Moziness yet. :(
But I feel I'm getting closer :)

Ah right thanks. I never would've worked that one out.
It's the damn millennials. One can't figure out the shit they're talking about. Just say Maudlin or Seasick and you won't need a translator.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom