"Hollywood Bowl" 8 June 2007 Los Angeles (CA)

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
Someone had requested this quite awhile back. In case your request was never met, here is the elusive "Hollywood Bowl" concert.

* As always, I don't know Mozzer's stance on bootlegs. I hope he is cool with them. Please support him by purchasing his albums, especially the wonderful new "Southpaw Grammar." It went from one of my least liked to a top tier Moz release with the addition of the new material, b-side, and artwork!*

http://rapidshare.com/files/238393809/Morrissey_06-08-2007__Hollywood_Bowl.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/238393810/Morrissey_06-08-2007__Hollywood_Bowl.part2.rar

Here is an excerpt from the definitive Morrissey tour site: passionsjustlikemine.com. It has loads of information about the show and of course the tracklisting!

"8 June 2007
Los Angeles (CA), Hollywood Bowl

The Queen Is Dead
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Ganglord
The National Front Disco
Let Me Kiss You
All You Need Is Me
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Irish Blood, English Heart
Disappointed
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Everyday Is Like Sunday
In The Future When All's Well
I Will See You In Far Off Places
Girlfriend In A Coma
First Of The Gang To Die
I Just Want To See The Boy Happy
You Have Killed Me
That's How People Grow Up
Life Is A Pigsty
How Soon Is Now?
/Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
/You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
/There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

This was one of the best concerts of this stretch of the tour. Morrissey looked in superb form and sounded extremely good. He was very chatty with fans in the front rows. The Los Angeles fans love Morrissey and they were very appreciative. About 10 or 12 of them made it on stage, particularly during encore "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side". The only minor complaint was with the sound. Some found it wasn't loud enough, others found it was too distorted, but this could probably be blamed on the type of venue.

This concert was recorded for later DVD release. The crowd was therefore treated to a record 23-track setlist. Part-timer "Lucky Lisp" was replaced with "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty", and "Girlfriend In A Coma" and "First Of The Gang To Die" were reinstated. But most importantly, surely because this was being recorded for a DVD, Morrissey added "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" as a third encore. The song had only been done once before on this tour, at the very beginning.

As he entered stage Morrissey greeted the audience by shouting "Hurray for Hollywood!" After set opener "The Queen Is Dead" he added "Thank you and welcome!" Over the opening notes of "Ganglord" he stated "Song of Sweetzer Avenue!" The latter was a reference to the street on which Morrissey lived in Los Angeles until he sold his house there. Before going into "The National Front Disco" he announced "...and more dangerous from here on in, probably..." A few lines into that song he rewarded one fan's failed attempt to get on stage with "nice try..." After the song he declared "So it's 15 years since they allowed me into the Hollywood Bowl so... thank you for either sustaining your interest or for renewing your interest or, if you were born in the last 15 years as most of you were, I'm very grateful..."

Following "Let Me Kiss You" Morrissey proceeded with the introduction of his band: "So in this very dramatic and traumatic opera, the longest surviving cast member is Boz Boorer... and the newest wonder of the world is Solomon Walker... drumming for you is Matt Walker... here we have Jesse Tobias... and last and most certainly least, Michael Farrell... and I'm an old harpsichord that nobody ever plays..." After new composition "All You Need Is Me" Morrissey asked a fan in the front row "how are you?" and handed her his microphone so she could answer. She thanked him for playing the Hollywood Bowl and Morrissey, taking back the microphone, told the audience "I paid her to say that..."

After "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" Morrissey said "I never thought that people would ever be sentimental about that song... it's a wild wild world... however, when you've been hanged as many times as I have, you no longer feel being beheaded, and you come to the Hollywood Bowl and you just sing whatever hell you like..." On the subject of the venue, after an extremely well-received "Irish Blood, English Heart", he added "And of course you only have to think of all the incredible legends who walked on this stage... Charles Nelson Reilly... Bob Hope... Phyllis Diller... (lowers voice) and me..." After "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty" he said "So this is really the hippest place to be apart from... apart from the Cat & Fiddle of course... Did I say that? I think I did..."

Besides the other numerous lyric changes in "Everyday Is Like Sunday" Morrissey also extended a line to "win yourself a cheap tray, if you can..." After "In The Future When All's Well" he thanked the audience and was thanked back, which prompted him to add "yes, but thank you though..." Between two lines halfway into "I Will See You In Far Off Places" he said "I can't fly..." Further into the song he told someone "very nice!"

After the latter number Morrissey handed his microphone to more fans in the front rows: "Can I ask you a question? Where do you live? (fan says Echo Park) Really? So you've been traveling by yourself have you? (she says she's among the irregular regulars) You sound very proud... (skips over someone) You've spoken once, Tom... (another fan said something about exposing the younger ones and calls out for Andrew, Morrissey adds) Andrew? (waits) He didn't wave back..." Morrissey used the first fan's answer as an introduction to "First Of The Gang To Die": "And while we're on the subject of scrawny Echo Park... yes scrawny..." After that song it was his favourite fan's turn to be addressed: "So Julia, what happens next? More... (she says 'I Just Want To See The Boy Happy') Did you hear what she said? Do you believe her? So do I..."

In "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" Morrissey added emphasis to a line by singing "for my own life I have never cared anything". Similarly in "You Have Killed Me" he sang "Piazza Cavour, what the hell is my life for, I dunno, I dunno..." New composition "That's How People Grow Up" was introduced with the request "If you can... if you can grit your teeth, just for three minutes... Can you? Go on... That's how people grow up..." The song must have gotten a lukewarm response because after its performance Morrissey sarcastically said "Don't get too perky!"

After one occurrence of the line "it's the same old S.O.S." in "Life Is A Pigsty" Morrissey shouted "help!". Before what was expected to be the set closer "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side" he shouted a quote from another of his songs from the same era, "Glamorous Glue": "We look to Los Angeles!" One of the fans who made it on stage during that song was rewarded with Morrissey quipping "Very brave! We're as brothers!" Over the closing bars of the song he shouted "So that's what you get for leaving your condo!"

At this point people who had been following the tour on the internet expected the show to be over. However Morrissey stepped back up to the microphone, took a bouquet of flowers that were handed to him ("For me?"), then asked "So in your filthy dreams remember me this way..." This was an introduction to the surprise third encore "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". In the song Morrissey extended a line to "it's not my home, it's their home and I'm welcome no more... was I ever?" and said to someone "very funny!" between two lines. At the end of his vocal part he walked to stage right and smiled for a bit. He then teased the audience by pulling on his shirt collar, as if asking "should I take it off or not?". He finally did and threw it to the crowd before leaving.

This concert was professionally filmed by Warner with the intention of releasing it in the following months on DVD. After some delay a date was finally set for Autumn 2008, the DVD was to come out under the title "Live At Hollywood Bowl", but Morrissey announced publicly that he disapproved of it and fought against its release. So for the time being it has been put on hold by Warner. Meanwhile some of the footage has been used in Morrissey's video for "That's How People Grow Up".

Meanwhile Morrissey had used audio from Warner's recording on some of his 2008 releases for Universal. The live at the Hollywood Bowl versions of "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys", "The National Front Disco", "Let Me Kiss You", "Irish Blood, English Heart", "I Will See You In Far Off Places", "First Of The Gang To Die", "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" and "Life Is A Pigsty" were featured on the bonus cd included with the limited edition of his 2008 "Greatest Hits" compilation. The American edition of the latter album featured one bonus track, "That's How People Grow Up" from that same show. The latter live version had previously been offered for download in certain parts of the world when the studio version was released as the first single off the compilation album. "

Is this the same as other versions posted here in the past? I've always had trouble playing this bootleg. Songs never play for more than 10 seconds. Crossing my fingers this time it works! It was a wonderful night. I was very lucky to be there.

Is this the same as other versions posted here in the past? I've always had trouble playing this bootleg. Songs never play for more than 10 seconds. Crossing my fingers this time it works! It was a wonderful night. I was very lucky to be there.

I just re-listened to parts and everything seems dandy. I also double checked the links, and they are working fine. I hope everyone enjoys it - moreover I hope fans will continue to share and trade Morrissey's concerts.

* As always, I don't know Mozzer's stance on bootlegs. I hope he is cool with them. Please support him by purchasing his albums, especially the wonderful new "Southpaw Grammar." It went from one of my least liked to a top tier Moz release with the addition of the new material, b-side, and artwork!*
my memory is coming back...
i thought i remembered him saying something about bootlegs at one of the radio city shows so i went to the trusty passions site and here it is.
" I can see some people are bootlegging this concert and I'd just like to say, you made a really good choice. I hope you make lots of money!"

my memory is coming back...
i thought i remembered him saying something about bootlegs at one of the radio city shows so i went to the trusty passions site and here it is.
" I can see some people are bootlegging this concert and I'd just like to say, you made a really good choice. I hope you make lots of money!"

That's cool. I only share what I have. I've paid for shows and then uploaded them to share. I don't understand these hoarders and others who charge for bootlegs.:confused:

Thank you so much for everything you've uploaded Vauxhall95 and for your excellent attitude towards sharing the greatness with others.

That's cool. I only share what I have. I've paid for shows and then uploaded them to share. I don't understand these hoarders and others who charge for bootlegs.:confused:

yeah I don't get why people charge for bootlegs either. Lame.

Having said that I really appreciate when people go the extra mile and share them so tyvm for that :D

Back
Top Bottom