"Honey You Know Where To Find Me" #23 in UK best selling vinyl singles of 2020 - NME

shoplifterromo writes:

The best-selling singles of 2020 U.K. chart has been announced by the Official Charts Company (OCC).

NME lists Morrissey’s “Honey You Know Where To Find Me” at number 23 in the year’s top 40 chart.

full

Related item:

Last edited:
Happy to see Kylie has two singles higher.
Well, if you’re a fan of hers, then that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone here.

Btw doesn’t Kylie have a fan site that you can troll for attention instead of coming here? I mean it would be healthier for you, I don’t care either way.

That’s not the album chart. It’s the singles chart
Only 30% of the top ten albums chart is new acts. Not sure what your argument is. New acts just don't sell physical copies (where the money is)

But to see Liam Gallbladder at #1
just supports my belief that these charts mean very little when it comes to measuring true artistic value and success.
When have the charts ever been a representation of "true artistic value" though? And how could they be? They're entirely commercial.

I believe the fact that All You're Dreaming Of is a charity single and was promoted via an imaginative and well produced online performance probably helped get it to number one.

Why? Pink Floyd have a lot more fans, play bigger venues in the days of solo touring, sell more records, and the only other place you could get that song was a 7" in a £429 box set.

They also had an album called Dark side of the room (?) or something, it also sold uh ... pretty well.

R.I.P SYD

When have the charts ever been a representation of "true artistic value" though? And how could they be? They're entirely commercial.

I believe the fact that All You're Dreaming Of is a charity single and was promoted via an imaginative and well produced online performance probably helped get it to number one.

Oh it was for a good cause? Ok in that case it doesn’t matter how bad it is. ;)

Yes, I know it’s entirely commercial, but it would be nice if the general public would be able to differentiate between what is good and what is bad, rather than oh it’s high in the charts, bought radio time, or sold this many units so it must be good. But this is sadly not the case.

I’m not denying that the charts were never full of bad records, but there was a time when albums seemed to place high in the charts because it was actually a great song. It’s more complicated than this, but I think most understand what I’m getting at, hopefully.

Oh it was for a good cause? Ok in that case it doesn’t matter how bad it is. ;)
I'm assuming this is a joke, because that's absolutely not what I was saying.
People just tend to buy charity records more because it makes them feel better.

What's "good" and what's "bad" is entirely subjective in my opinion, so I don't see how a chart position could ever reflect what is "good" or "bad" for me personally.

Musical taste nowadays is more diverse than ever I think, with everything being easily available at all times.

Anyway, most people buy vinyl singles as collector's items and not because they actually want to listen to them.

I'm assuming this is a joke, because that's absolutely not what I was saying.
People just tend to buy charity records more because it makes them feel better.

What's "good" and what's "bad" is entirely subjective in my opinion, so I don't see how a chart position could ever reflect what is "good" or "bad" for me personally.

Musical taste nowadays is more diverse than ever I think, with everything being easily available at all times.

Anyway, most people buy vinyl singles as collector's items and not because they actually want to listen to them.

I agree, then if people are buying the record not because it actually is a good song, but because it makes them feel better that their money is going to a good cause/charity, then that’s fine. It’s also fine that everyone knows or should know why it is at number one.

Tastes may be more diverse, but when the tastes are dictated by forces other than the ‘artists’ creation (product) then their tastes and minds are not their own, not entirely at least.

Yes, I know these kind of judgments
on music being ‘good’or ‘bad’ can be labeled subjective, but it doesn’t really apply to me, for I, as everyone here should know by now, I have perfect taste in music, undebatable really. :p;):cool:

I agree, then if people are buying the record not because it actually is a good song, but because it makes them feel better that their money is going to a good cause/charity, then that’s fine. It’s also fine that everyone knows or should know why it is at number one.

Tastes may be more diverse, but when the tastes are dictated by forces other than the ‘artists’ creation (product) then their tastes and minds are not their own, not entirely at least.

Yes, I know these kind of judgments
on music being ‘good’or ‘bad’ can be labeled subjective, but it doesn’t really apply to me, for I, as everyone here should know by now, I have perfect taste in music, undebatable really. :p;):cool:

Funny, I would say the same thing about me and yet we habitually disagree. 😉

But yes, as far as actual sales (not streaming or YouTube clicks) are concerned, marketing seems to be more important than ever, more important than the "product".

I didn't buy Liam's single, btw. But I did buy a ticket for his Down By The River Thames concert stream and thoroughly enjoyed myself 😜

But yes, as far as actual sales (not streaming or YouTube clicks) are concerned, marketing seems to be more important than ever, more important than the "product".

I didn't buy Liam's single, btw. But I did buy a ticket for his Down By The River Thames concert stream and thoroughly enjoyed myself 😜
Best thing on the Thames was the Duck Tours. I took the children on it. Bit scarey when it dived into the water. You got to see the smallest prison ever. It’s been banned I heard. Think someone drowned, or something.

Despite the fact one of their albums alone ha sold more than all Morrissey solo and Smiths records put together?
Obviously (?) that’s what I was referring to, which kind of puts the entire chart into some sensible perspective. And that fact does, to my mind, make you look a prick if (for instance) you see the chart as some vindication of your enjoyment of Kylie Minogue. Or your hatred of Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me too, it was a great idea and a great show!

Obviously (?) that’s what I was referring to, which kind of puts the entire chart into some sensible perspective. And that fact does, to my mind, make you look a prick if (for instance) you see the chart as some vindication of your enjoyment of Kylie Minogue. Or your hatred of Morrissey.
My hatred of Morrissey? Despite the fact I’ve seen him hundreds of times, including his three corona gigs. Yea, such is the hatred. Not very bright, are you.

Charts, record sales, unfashionable record sales and charts.......
We could be here all night bickering.....

How about Smiths, morrissey gigs?
They will out number anyone else’s record sales..... or touring facts...... Why...
Morrissey is a live , touring band , he’s out there doing, selling his product..... touching, dancing, encouraging people to get on stage for a hug with him......
We’ve all got our memories of this, and there is more to come....

All us true fans need to remember is how great these days have been, it’s not just the concert it’s self , it’s that days build up to it ....meeting other T shirted fans , that’s the best thing I enjoy the most......
MORRISSEY NUMBER ONE IN CUMBRIA 🤫🤫🤫

My hatred of Morrissey? Despite the fact I’ve seen him hundreds of times, including his three corona gigs. Yea, such is the hatred. Not very bright, are you.
Perhaps you could use your own brightness to illuminate where I‘ve said that you hated Morrissey?

Your corona heroics are noted. A medal is on the way.

They also had an album called Dark side of the room (?) or something, it also sold uh ... pretty well.

R.I.P SYD
I presume you’ve seen the documentary on sid..
I mean how much 4kin acid can anyone take??
I remember watching a documentary on pink floyd a few years later after Sid was out of the band , and he turned up at the recording studio and just stood there, at first none of the band/ friends didn’t recognise him, as he looked like he was , a lost mental health patient, who’s mind had gone some years back....
very sad , as we all know, crazy diamond was about him....
once seen a floyd tribute band in Los Carlisle.... great night...
Moz now locked in my basement and very unhappy....
I’m planning his next UK northern winter tour.... he says he can’t cope with Calooofornya no more,
As he needs to complain about the cold again .....

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom