How do you think 2020 will pan out for Morrissey?

How do you think will 2020 pan out for SP Morrissey?

• Total voters
I'm going out on a limb and say that I'm not convinced that there's been a mass fan exodus anywhere, even in the UK. I think there's a media backlash (because it makes great click-bait) and maybe a few vocal souls who are getting a lot of the attention over this, but I've met a lot of UK fans in my travels and to a person, they're still on board according to their social media. In the US, I haven't noticed a drop at all beyond the media latching on and certain publicity whore fans giving interviews for still more attention, it's almost as if it's a non-event here. All the shows I went to this year in the US and Canada (7) were sold out or nearly so and the Broadway run which I didn't get to was a huge success.

So I can't vote, because my vote would be "Surprisingly well" for the new album, but I don't think there are any fans to return, as I don't think many have actually abandoned ship. I'm not looking for (or expecting) any apology or denial of M's views, because where I live, we're all entitled to believe what we want. His beliefs effect neither his voice nor his shows; I still enjoy the hell out of both. (Now, if he starts ranting on and on about his favorite causes at shows like Bono did, I'd be happy to reevaluate my opinion, because that's part of the reason I walked away from U2 after 25 years)

I'm going out on a limb and say that I'm not convinced that there's been a mass fan exodus anywhere, even in the UK. I think there's a media backlash (because it makes great click-bait) and maybe a few vocal souls who are getting a lot of the attention over this, but I've met a lot of UK fans in my travels and to a person, they're still on board according to their social media. In the US, I haven't noticed a drop at all beyond the media latching on and certain publicity whore fans giving interviews for still more attention, it's almost as if it's a non-event here. All the shows I went to this year in the US and Canada (7) were sold out or nearly so and the Broadway run which I didn't get to was a huge success.

The Summer 2018 UK tour was cancelled due to appallingly low sales. Modest theatre venues that previously sold out in an instant had more than half their tickets left. The outdoor shows in Manchester had just a trickle of sales - his home town where previously he could comfortably sell 15,000 tickets.
Low in High School sold 25,000 in week 1. California Sun had similar reviews and airplay for the single and came out just 18 months later and sold an unbelievably crap 8,000. How much more evidence do you need?
He hasn't dared announce a UK tour since summer 2018 as he knows that humiliatingly low ticket sales are inevitable. He either won't tour the UK in 2020 or he will and his fears will be confirmed - unless of course he unambiguously revokes all associations with, and support for, extreme right-wing politicians and parties. But that's not looking likely.

So I can't vote, because my vote would be "Surprisingly well" for the new album, but I don't think there are any fans to return, as I don't think many have actually abandoned ship. I'm not looking for (or expecting) any apology or denial of M's views, because where I live, we're all entitled to believe what we want. His beliefs effect neither his voice nor his shows; I still enjoy the hell out of both. (Now, if he starts ranting on and on about his favorite causes at shows like Bono did, I'd be happy to reevaluate my opinion, because that's part of the reason I walked away from U2 after 25 years)

I think you may be living in an optimistic bubble. The hate is real and it's world-wide. If you search Twitter for Morrissey, this is what comes up, just in the past hour:

@Tilly_Klein

I'm sorry, I know we all hate Morrissey, but it's actually insane how good The Smiths were.

@michaelsremains
·
23m

Big up the arts people I overheard on the way home. "do we have to use that song, and if so, would it mean giving money to #morrissey? Cos we really shouldn't." "Why?" "Cos he's an actual fascist?" "oh, yeah. Good point"

@_momokooo
·
38m

Wait, Morrissey is cancelled, right?

Internet killed the video star

@fridapicaz0

Gay, hate Morrissey and love to sin. Probably accurate

@fillerfangs
·
1h

also 13 and the smiths but we don’t talk about morrissey in this house

@lucsck

morre logo Morrissey filho da puta
Translated from Portuguese by
dies soon Morrissey son of a bitch

@grantkirkham
·
1h

Everyday is NOT like Sunday. So f*** off Morrissey, you daft racist.

I think you may be living in an optimistic bubble. The hate is real and it's world-wide. If you search Twitter for Morrissey, this is what comes up, just in the past hour:

Has any of that actually started in the last year? The racist thing's been around since the Chinese comments and the cancelled jokes pre-date most of us. He's always been the subject of anonymous backlash particular on internet forums (cough-cough) and social media as long as I've been following him.

I never saw that any substantiation that the UK tour was cancelled due to low tickets sales, but please do refresh my memory with the confirmation if there was. I saw lots of armchair speculation here, but nothing beyond that.

Has any of that actually started in the last year? The racist thing's been around since the Chinese comments and the cancelled jokes pre-date most of us. He's always been the subject of anonymous backlash particular on internet forums (cough-cough) and social media as long as I've been following him.

I never saw that any substantiation that the UK tour was cancelled due to low tickets sales, but please do refresh my memory with the confirmation if there was. I saw lots of armchair speculation here, but nothing beyond that.

The official line on the tour was logistical problems but venues confirmed there were tons of tickets left. The clearest sign of fan desertion is the before-and-after record sales - from 25,000 to 8,000 for first week sales just 18 months apart. You might argue that fewer people are likely to be interested in a covers album but not that many fewer and the lead single received just as much airplay.
We'll see what happens in 2020. Personally, I will never see him again or buy any of his music unless he retracts his support for right wing politicians/parties. My own views and actions are onbiously neither here nor there but, unfortunately for him, tens of thousands of previous fans feel the same way as me.
Interesting to see the Twitter comments above. I'm no defender of Steve but I do think he's been misunderstood. He doesn't hold consistently right wing views - he is just totally f***ing idiotic when it comes to politics. People assume he's a genius and he knows exactly what he's saying/doing. He really isn't.

"Morrissey is racist" has certainly ramped up in the past year and he really hasn't been successful at dispelling that notion. In fact, by not backtracking or apologizing, which we all know he's not going to do, it's just gotten worse. It's actually gone viral among young people who barely know who he is and also turned off many, many longtime fans.

Will an older gay crooner find new fans among the alt-right? Doubtful.

Someone at his label needs to take him in hand and do some emergency PR, but that's not going to happen either. It's not like the old days where people eventually forget a magazine interview, his words are forever out there on the internet at the click of a button.

"Morrissey is racist" has certainly ramped up in the past year and he really hasn't been successful at dispelling that notion. In fact, by not backtracking or apologizing, which we all know he's not going to do, it's just gotten worse. It's actually gone viral among young people who barely know who he is and also turned off many, many longtime fans.

Will an older gay crooner find new fans among the alt-right? Doubtful.

Someone at his label needs to take him in hand and do some emergency PR, but that's not going to happen either. It's not like the old days where people eventually forget a magazine interview, his words are forever out there on the internet at the click of a button.
Morrissey is like Corbyn. Why say sorry for something that just isn't true?

Morrissey is like Corbyn. Why say sorry for something that just isn't true?

Of course Morrissey doesn't have to say or do anything. It's only if he wants to change public opinion and tour the UK/Europe or sell more records, and not get dropped from his record label, etc.

Meanwhile, there's this:

Of course Morrissey doesn't have to say or do anything. It's only if he wants to change public opinion and tour the UK/Europe or sell more records, and not get dropped from his record label, etc.

Meanwhile, there's this:

The public supports his views

Really? I guess I'll see you at his next sold out UK tour in 2020! Haha.
It's a date. The UK needs someone like M right now, someone who's not frightened to tell it like it is and f*** the consequences. Wokeness is a media construct that people in real life have no time for. Moz will be welcomed like a returning hero.

It's the unambiguous support for a far right political party that has happened in the last 18 months. He published a clear message of support for the party (For Bigots) on his website, and wore their badge at concerts and on a TV show seen by millions. Frightening stuff. Make no mistake, it's had and is having a massive impact on his fanbase and this will continue to become apparent in 2020.

The official line on the tour was logistical problems but venues confirmed there were tons of tickets left. The clearest sign of fan desertion is the before-and-after record sales - from 25,000 to 8,000 for first week sales just 18 months apart. You might argue that fewer people are likely to be interested in a covers album but not that many fewer and the lead single received just as much airplay.
We'll see what happens in 2020. Personally, I will never see him again or buy any of his music unless he retracts his support for right wing politicians/parties. My own views and actions are onbiously neither here nor there but, unfortunately for him, tens of thousands of previous fans feel the same way as me.
Interesting to see the Twitter comments above. I'm no defender of Steve but I do think he's been misunderstood. He doesn't hold consistently right wing views - he is just totally f***ing idiotic when it comes to politics. People assume he's a genius and he knows exactly what he's saying/doing. He really isn't.

If you're on a fan-site.........not sure why you wouldn't be a defender.

It's the unambiguous support for a far right political party that has happened in the last 18 months. He published a clear message of support for the party (For Bigots) on his website, and wore their badge at concerts and on a TV show seen by millions. Frightening stuff. Make no mistake, it's had and is having a massive impact on his fanbase and this will continue to become apparent in 2020.
Maybe declaring support for a far right party is the only subversive act left. And don't forget Morrissey is a rebel, james Dean style.

And it's not frightening stuff that millions of people are prepared to vote Labour, for a leader that's shown admiration for the IRA and Hamas? Please, spare me any moral indignation.

OK kids, the jig is up and so is Morrissey's BMG contract via Morrissey Central. One more album and it better be good or it will be his swansong.

Morrissey has described I Am Not A Dog On A Chain as:

" … the very best of me … too good to be true … too true to be considered good … ", and concludes Morrissey's contract with BMG Records.

Blessing my Steven with some lovely words from the departed Julio Cortazar:

“I am talking about the responsibility of the poet, who is irresponsible by definition, an anarchist enamored of a solar order and never of the new order or whatever slogan makes five or six hundred million men march in step in a parody of order.”

I picked OK. Boring, perhaps, even a bit negative, but undeniably the most realistic option. There’ll be a cold day in hell before Moz apologizes to anyone for anything or backpedals on any previous comment. He might very well regret some of the things he’s said, but there is no way he’ll admit to it publicly. As for the album, as always I’m over the moon by the thought of an upcoming Moz album, but since I’m not a fan of his last two proper albums, my expectations are a bit low. Hopefully it’ll be better than WPINOYB and LIHS.
And as always, I’m hoping for an album in the same vein as Vauxhall or Maladjusted. Enough with the politics, left or right. I want warm, melancholy songs about doomed love, loners, alienation and death.

Back
Top Bottom