how they share the money?

tommy77

my question is as before morrissey was playing on the band the smiths and then they split.but today morrissey still doing concerts and singing songs that he compose (write) with other people under morrissey,but what happens to the old songs that were from when he was with smiths like an example i still ill. The boy with the thorn in his side.bigmouth strikes again.etc they where from smiths band and written by morrissey and marr.so when he sing those smiths songs does he have to pay a percent to all members? Or only to johnny marr? How did they arrange on the songs rights? I was confused.many thanks any answers.all the best

Last edited:
When a band performs a cover version, the original authors receive a royalty paid to them by the Performing Rights Society, which is funded by the venues annual subscription.

In the case of Morrissey performing Smiths songs, Johnny Marr would receive a fee as co-author of the song, Rourke and Joyce would get nothing

I don't think Morrissey has to pay anything when he simply plays those songs..........if they are recorded and released, then I believe that is when the money comes into play.

Nope, theoretically he would have to pay money. Noel Gallagher is demanding that The Beady Eyes pay him cash when they perform the Oasis songs's he's written live. But as Marr and Morrissey both play Smiths songs loads these days, they've probably got some kind of agreement...

I don't think Morrissey has to pay anything when he simply plays those songs..........if they are recorded and released, then I believe that is when the money comes into play.

Nope, theoretically he would have to pay money. Noel Gallagher is demanding that The Beady Eyes pay him cash when they perform the Oasis songs's he's written live. But as Marr and Morrissey both play Smiths songs loads these days, they've probably got some kind of agreement...

The question was already answered in the second post. There is no need for any kind of agreement it is all taken care of by the Performing Rights Society.

Legally, the writers of any songs performed live should receive a royalty. So both Marr and Alain Whyte should be receiving healthy paychecks on the back of Morrissey tours, as long as he keeps performing songs they co-wrote. Of course, whether Moz actually stumps up the cash is another matter. I mean, it's not as though he doesn't have a history where payments are concerned of simply refusing to pay anything to anyone (and not just Mike Joyce - incidents such as selling T-shirts with the skinhead girls photo without permission etc. Presumably, he also ought to be paying someone for all those Youtube videos he plays before every show - in which case the New York Dolls would be laughing all the way to the bank. ButI somehow doubt it...

Legally, the writers of any songs performed live should receive a royalty. So both Marr and Alain Whyte should be receiving healthy paychecks on the back of Morrissey tours, as long as he keeps performing songs they co-wrote. Of course, whether Moz actually stumps up the cash is another matter. I mean, it's not as though he doesn't have a history where payments are concerned of simply refusing to pay anything to anyone (and not just Mike Joyce - incidents such as selling T-shirts with the skinhead girls photo without permission etc. Presumably, he also ought to be paying someone for all those Youtube videos he plays before every show - in which case the New York Dolls would be laughing all the way to the bank. ButI somehow doubt it...

I'm not sure how often i have to say this but the money is not paid by Morrissey. All venues in the UK who have live music pay an annual licence fee to the Performing Rights Society. This funds payments made to artists for performances of their songs

It depends on whether people like the song or not. What they do is record the levels of the audience applause like on those old talent shows such as The Gong Show and X Factor. They rate the peak applause and the average applause for each song and they take a survey to see how many people know who wrote the song. For example if Morrissey played The Queen Is Dead and people applaud loudly, it's almost certain that Johnny Marr would get his 99 cents (It's like iTunes but Apple isn't involved so Johnny Marr would get the whole 99 cents). But before they send him the Paypal payment for the full 99 cents they ask the waitress and the busboy (after the show at Dennys)if they know who wrote "The Queen Is Dead" and then if they don't know instead of sending Johnny the money they leave it as a tip.

The artists still have to supply the venue with an accurate list of which songs were played that night, and who wrote/published them, which is - of course - perfectly fudgable if you are that way inclined. That's in the UK at least - God knows how this works when playing gigs in Japan etc...

But yes - Marr & co should all be receiving payments every time Moz performs one of the songs they co-wrote.

Back
Top Bottom