How was the first impact of The Smiths in your life?

Cliché as it might sound, it was in a goth club, standing on my own, watching the crowd of people when How Soon Is Now? started to play.

(No, really.)

Last edited:
Hi! This is my first thread. Well, when I was fifteen years old, I was looking for new music and I discovered an under dark page, propiety of some guys that were into indie- new wave genre, I remember that I just close my eyes and choose with my finger in the list. The next is history. Also, an important thing was that The Ghost of Canterville is my favorite book since the school (I was 7). Later i discover that Morrissey liked Oscar Wilde, that was a super extra.

what about you?

Were you clumsy and shy as well?

My older brother taped the first album for me the day it came out and out of curiosity more than anything I listened to it in the dark in my bed on my Walkman and within the first minute of "Reel Around the Fountain" it felt like my life had changed.

this is hard, I loved the Smiths since the moment I heard them, but it was early 91, and we were burning Iraqi bodies we had stacked like you would well, wood, and the smell, at first it smelled good in a sweet way, then revulsion, at that moment? "meat is murder" struck me to the bone, shortly after I left the army, never to war again, amen...

My big sister bought all the Smiths albums to impress a boyfriend & when they split up she dumped them in my room. I was a toddler at the time. I started playing them because they were there. Didn't know a single thing about the band until I was 14 & my drama teacher mentioned Morrissey while we were studying A Taste of Honey.

First Smiths-Morrissey listen to was on 91X College Music Show on Saturday or Sunday afternoons, I think...it was a while ago..1983 ? Anyways, the hosts liked the lead singer, that's you Morrissey ! Listen to these guys, The Smiths, their going to be something great. Personally though, it was the guitar work that had never been heard the likes of before. Joy Division was unique and Simple Minds had some great songs and videos...And Spandau Ballets "True", is wonderful....but The Smiths..."No one can hold a candle to You." J.M.

Had to say, we miss Steve West and his oldies show Sunday mornings on 91X. Steve loved The Smiths and nick-named Morrissey, "Mr. Happy". Like that one Morrissey ? Of course you do my dear. xox.....

Lastly, we really miss Jose Moldanado and his Sunday a.m. "Breakfast With The Smiths", show. Anyone know where we can find Jose ? All it took was one listen back in 1983 and a Smiths addit is all that remains now.

Not sure about the Smiths but, Morrissey: I had Now Music 11 and Suedehead was on there. The rest is history along with it, a small fortune. I’ve seen him on every solo tour, and hopefully when this nasty pandemic goes, that can resume itself.

My older sister was/is a screwed-up psycho who one summer decided she would only like non-threatening boys {ie ~ gay} ~ cue "Another Country" poster on bedroom wall, Brideshead teddy bears, Pet Shop Boys, Bronski Beat, James Dean {gay and dead ~ jackpot!} Etc.

As part of this campaign she bought one LP by The Smiths ~ "The World Won't Listen". í, however, did; on the other side of her daily ritually slammed shut bedroom door. Couldn't even hear the words. Just the endless golden blend of music & voice, reminding me of cold summer daze of childhood holidays in Lancashire. One afternoon í borrowed that LP and dubbed off a C-90 tape cassette...

And the rest is hysteria.

My older sister was/is a screwed-up psycho who one summer decided she would only like non-threatening boys {ie ~ gay} ~ cue "Another Country" poster on bedroom wall, Brideshead teddy bears, Pet Shop Boys, Bronski Beat, James Dean {gay and dead ~ jackpot!} Etc.

As part of this campaign she bought one LP by The Smiths ~ "The World Won't Listen". í, however, did; on the other side of her daily ritually slammed shut bedroom door. Couldn't even hear the words. Just the endless golden blend of music & voice, reminding me of cold summer daze of childhood holidays in Lancashire. One afternoon í borrowed that LP and dubbed off a C-90 tape cassette...

And the rest is hysteria.

That sounds like my sister. She still has epic tantrums. Mainly about boyfriends, her appearance & her lack of fame. Which I am somehow responsible for.

She once said to me she didn't understand the point of a conversation that wasn't about her. OUT LOUD. Like it's a normal thing to say.

How very John Hughes of you...

If only my life was a Hughes film. I'd have ended up with some darker, edgier Molly Ringwald at the end of the night, but unfortunately that only ever happened in my dreams...

Last edited:
That sounds like my sister. She still has epic tantrums. Mainly about boyfriends, her appearance & her lack of fame. Which I am somehow responsible for.

She once said to me she didn't understand the point of a conversation that wasn't about her. OUT LOUD. Like it's a normal thing to say.

Sinister sisters have alot to answer for...

Luckily, í have another sister, who is not sinister, and is my best friend forever.

A friend lent me Queen Is Dead & The Smiths, I thought them interesting, different.

But it wasn’t until a few months later when I first seen the just premiered video on MTV of
Suedehead that it all clicked for me,
and it’s then that I realized that I wasn’t alone, and I wasn’t the only oddball on this planet.

Viva Moz !!!

:cool:

First Smiths-Morrissey listen to was on 91X College Music Show on Saturday or Sunday afternoons, I think...it was a while ago..1983 ? Anyways, the hosts liked the lead singer, that's you Morrissey ! Listen to these guys, The Smiths, their going to be something great. Personally though, it was the guitar work that had never been heard the likes of before. Joy Division was unique and Simple Minds had some great songs and videos...And Spandau Ballets "True", is wonderful....but The Smiths..."No one can hold a candle to You." J.M.

Sandy Eggo in da house!

I heard "What Difference Does It Make?" on the radio and I thought that guitar sound was the sexiest, most beautiful thing I'd ever heard.

Tags
literature personal the smiths
Back
Top Bottom