"I Keep Mine Hidden" different mix in the Complete box set

Info posted by sid james back in Oct. 2011, in case anyone missed it:
---
I hate posting on this place, but please check the version physically pressed on the reverse of the 'Sweet and Tender Hooligan' 7" in the deluxe 'Complete' boxset.

Mine is a different mix - the easiest way to notice - immediately after Morrissey sings 'It's so easy for you' a loud guitar line enters right at the front of the mix.

I have just checked the version from both the original 'Sweet and Tender Hooligan' CD from 1995 AND the MP3 download version you get with the Rhino 'Complete' boxset, and this guitar line is completely absent on both.

So bizarrely, the MP3 version that Rhino is touting DOES NOT MATCH UP with what is actually on the physical version.

The only place I have heard this guitar line is on the 7" in the Complete box set. Is it a general f*** up, or have I got some supremely rare mispress? Dunno. But no amount of 'remastering' can add a guitar line to a track - it's either a new remix, or an earlier mix/different mix that has been put out by mistake.

If someone else could check their own boxset I'd appreciate it.

I've been wondering why no-one else has been raving about this - it's practically the only 'new' thing in the set.

Downloads posted by klivert70 (original post):

FLAC - http://www.mediafire.com/?1d1d082xtmmzzp1
MP3 - http://www.mediafire.com/?bfkhix88l7aqip7

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear the same guitar on my version from the "Sweet And Tender Hooligan" single. It's subtle, but it's there. I bought the Amazon MP3, and the Amazon MP3's guitar line is even more subdued than the SATH single version!

6964914889_7774e4c993_o.jpg

It's definitely much stronger in the FLAC edition linked to here, but since I don't own the vinyl, I can't tell if anything was done to make the rip sound unnaturally or unusually more pronounced.

Last edited:
It's present on my vinyl also.I guess it's johnny giving himself a but more spotlight when he remastered :)

I thought it was said months ago it was different mix?

---
I hate posting on this place, but please check the version physically pressed on the reverse of the 'Sweet and Tender Hooligan' 7" in the deluxe 'Complete' boxset.

Thanks for swallowing your pride. I could not have lived without knowing there is a version of this song with a few seconds of audible guitar NEVER EVER HEARD BEFORE.

---

Thanks for swallowing your pride. I could not have lived without knowing there is a version of this song with a few seconds of audible guitar NEVER EVER HEARD BEFORE.

LOL!

Well, original poster, I have the set but no 7" player. Should I get one I'll let you know. I love this song.

Just proof that you can hear stuff on vinyl better :p. I kid. It's pretty stages that it's not on others

absolutely different. having heard the song at least 100 times in the last 15 years since it popped up on the the hooligan CD, this song sounds completely different to my ears from the get-go. there's a high-pitched feedback-sounding guitar noise line almost from the beginning of the song that i've never heard. sounds way better, actually. so, the next question johnny, is: why not put out a rarities remaster CD instead of having this thing languish on a 7" that many people will never hear? oh, and if you could put out jeane and wonderful woman on that CD too, we'd appreciate it.

Certainly it's different. The original version has more emphasis on the rhythm guitars, this one on the feedback guitar. Plus the harmonies on the guitar break are all mixed differently and Morrissey's vocal hasn't got / has got less of that-strange-flange-effect-he-always-uses applied to the word "mental". As Marr and Arkwright were only remastering (re-recording the two-track master) as opposed to remixing (taking the multi-tracks and create a new master), this would appear to be an alternate mix from '87 they've dug up.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom