I live alone

Very good.
Reminds me of Soft Cell's ''Bedsitter''.

And now I'm all alone in bedsit land, my only home....
...maybe I could write a letter, Mother things are getting better and kid myself I'm having fun......

Jukebox Jury

Last edited by a moderator:
He should put an ad on Gumtree.

Or I could arrange for an old friend to go round and visit him. Old being the operative word.
64352.jpg

Very good.

...maybe I could write a letter, Mother things are getting better and kid myself I'm having fun......

Jukebox Jury

Soft Cell were my fave before the smiths happened. Great lyrics about real life, and top tunes. What more could a boy ask for?

Very good.

Jukebox Jury

I loved Soft cell:thumb my favourite one.

I saw Soft Cell in Liverpool, 1984 (I was also going out with a one-eyed girl at the time....).Their records were pretty decent, but they were absolutely atrocious "Live". Marc Almond was quite embarassing trying to "Work" the audience into being remotely interested.....One of the worst concerts I ever went to....just the two of them on a Vast ( otherwise empty)stage, in front of a bored audience expecting "Sex Dwarves" and suchlike........and the one-eyed girl still owes me twenty quid.......
Anyway, here's my poem about living alone.......

Cold thoughts from a cold Flat.

I live alone,
And that is that.
I can't even afford
To keep a cat.

A Dog would be nice company
As I wallow in my Misery
But my Landlord says
that Pets are out.
No partner even, at whom to shout.

The one -eyed girl
has long since gone
But at least I've got two eyes
to
cry
From.

I saw Soft Cell in Liverpool, 1984 (I was also going out with a one-eyed girl at the time....).Their records were pretty decent, but they were absolutely atrocious "Live". Marc Almond was quite embarassing trying to "Work" the audience into being remotely interested.....One of the worst concerts I ever went to....just the two of them on a Vast ( otherwise empty)stage, in front of a bored audience expecting "Sex Dwarves" and suchlike........and the one-eyed girl still owes me twenty quid.......
Anyway, here's my poem about living alone.......

Cold thoughts from a cold Flat.

I live alone,
And that is that.
I can't even afford
To keep a cat.

A Dog would be nice company
As I wallow in my Misery
But my Landlord says
that Pets are out.
No partner even, at whom to shout.

The one -eyed girl
has long since gone
But at least I've got two eyes
to
cry
From.

That poem's alright
for a beginner an' that
especially the bit
where you mention the cat

I hope you don't mind this
I don't want to offend
But if I may just point out
There's no twist at the end

Now some people might like that
the more straightforward rhyme
that takes next to no effort
and even less time

But I like to think hard
before I compose
the words are important
in both poem and prose

So if you'll excuse me
and my superior tone
thanks for your contribution
but I'll stick with my own

I admit I'm no Keats,
No Yeats or No Burns,
I don't write about Daffs,
Or the way the world turns.

What I wrote was meant as a giggle,
And certainly with no harm
Just a rapid, quickfire stupid response
No cause for alarm.

But your Stern and rigorous criticism.
Atlhough harsh, but fair, and true,
Was not in anyway Syllabilled or rhymed,
Like A traditional "Haiku".

I still no longer have a cat,
Or even Twenty Quid,
The One-eyed girl has long long gone
But I'm still here With a tear on each eye lid.

World's cleverest man turns down $1m

A Russian said to be the world's cleverest man has turned down a $1 million prize for solving one of mathematics' toughest puzzles.

2naqyhx.jpg

Dr Grigory Perelman, 44, who lives as a recluse in a cockroach-infested flat in St Petersburg, said through the closed door: "I have all I want."

The prize, the equivalent of £660,000, was given by the US Clay Mathematics Institute for solving the Poincare Conjecture, reports the Daily Mail.

Dr Perelman posted his solution on the internet but failed to turn up to receive his prestigious Fields Medal from the International Mathematical Union in Madrid four years ago.

At the time he stated: "I'm not interested in money or fame. I don't want to be on display like an animal in a zoo.

"I'm not a hero of mathematics. I'm not even that successful, that is why I don't want to have everybody looking at me."

Neighbour Vera Petrovna said: "I was once in his flat and I was astounded. He only has a table, a stool and a bed with a dirty mattress which was left by previous owners - alcoholics who sold the flat to him.

"We are trying to get rid of cockroaches in our block, but they hide in his flat."

The Poincare Conjecture was more than 100 years old when Perelman solved it - and could help determine the shape of the universe.

There once was a band called Soft Cell,
Who performed on a stage....it was Hell
The audience bored
( I heard that some of them snored)
But her One-eye, it glinted so well.

Her name ( for this poem, let's call her Paula)
she was much shorter than me,.... I was taller,
But I still paid for we,
For that conert to see,
And I never did get even to ball 'er.

Back
Top Bottom