I need history on this, can't find on internet

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Went through the attic and was going through some very cool morrissey and smiths stuff I have not seen in ages (some in 20 plus years).

I checked the internet and could not find info on this Hatful of Hollow promo set I have. It has a rough trade CD76 hatful cd, a blue hatful shirt" a postcard of morrissey and a hatful sticker. It comes in a 12" record style box with a clear cover (to see the contents). It has a silver hologram sticker on the clear cover. The back has a round sticker that list a limited edition number. This one is 209 of 500. I can't remember buying it but it had to be between 1988 and 1991.

One note -the cd says made in England, I would have bought this from a little Indy store in NorCal that carried a lot of imports but I don't know if the set is.

Any help for who made this or where it came from would be much appreciated. Thanks

image.jpg

I registered to put a photo of it. This

You have got some other very interesting items there.....
Cheers Moz

I wish i had an attic like yours ! Very nice stuff indeed , is it going on Ebay or shall i just give you 50 quid for the lot now !

Are you accepting offers on the Hatful boxset ?

I m interested if you are.

Hello,

Went through the attic and was going through some very cool morrissey and smiths stuff I have not seen in ages (some in 20 plus years).

I checked the internet and could not find info on this Hatful of Hollow promo set I have. It has a rough trade CD76 hatful cd, a blue hatful shirt" a postcard of morrissey and a hatful sticker. It comes in a 12" record style box with a clear cover (to see the contents). It has a silver hologram sticker on the clear cover. The back has a round sticker that list a limited edition number. This one is 209 of 500. I can't remember buying it but it had to be between 1988 and 1991.

One note -the cd says made in England, I would have bought this from a little Indy store in NorCal that carried a lot of imports but I don't know if the set is.

Any help for who made this or where it came from would be much appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The passion site is awesome. My wife made my finally go to bed at 12:30 am after I looked through the cd's. Today I got to quickly look through the vinyl. It feels like Christmas. I may sell this stuff as it served its purpose a long time ago when I got them and more specifically why and how it made me feel during that time period. If you are a sf Bay Area collector, shoot me a pm as I will probably go the local route. I also know there is a place for that in the forum elsewhere. I really need to sit down and catalogue this stuff. Thanks again.
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is not a promotional item, just a bunch of things packaged together by a company other than the official record label, for collectors. It's rarely worth more than the sum of the individual items found inside.

Stephane

I suspect it is a package put together as a competition prize. In which case, someone at Rough Trade would have put it together, so that's sort of official. No idea on value, though, and Stephane may well be right.

Yes, Stephane most likely is right. I can't find anything on this.

Thanks for the replies. The passion site is awesome. My wife made my finally go to bed at 12:30 am after I looked through the cd's. Today I got to quickly look through the vinyl. It feels like Christmas. I may sell this stuff as it served its purpose a long time ago when I got them and more specifically why and how it made me feel during that time period. If you are a sf Bay Area collector, shoot me a pm as I will probably go the local route. I also know there is a place for that in the forum elsewhere. I really need to sit down and catalogue this stuff. Thanks again.
View attachment 16692
View attachment 16693

Wish I was in Bay area, but stuck in L.A :p
I see TONS of gems!
I'd consider going the Ebay route..might be more of a hassle, but im sure the money you get off it would be way more than locally.

Pm sent. Where in the bayarea are you located?

Mid peninsula

Another question. How do I value this stuff, if I can't find a recent sale say from ebay or discogs. I don't want to be a **ck , but neither a fool as well. I have multiple version of stuff and separating it's importance or value is difficult. Stuff like this cover variations. Should I lump them together as a lot? Examples below.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Mid peninsula

Another question. How do I value this stuff, if I can't find a recent sale say from ebay or discogs. I don't want to be a **ck , but neither a fool as well. I have multiple version of stuff and separating it's importance or value is difficult. Stuff like this cover variations. Should I lump them together as a lot? Examples below.
View attachment 16715View attachment 16716View attachment 16717View attachment 16718

Seems an obvious thing to say, but don't part with anything unless you are sure you are happy with the price. Which is normally going to mean having something to go off. Although, for stuff that you know is not hyper-valuable, I think Ebay auctions will probably end up giving approximately the right price. Of course, there's always the outside chance you will end up selling that Dutch TCM promo for 99 cents. But, look on the bright side - I might be the buyer.

If you're just going to sell them to people locally (no auction), there are reliable people on here who could probably give you ballpark values if you are very, very specific on which items you are clueless about as far as today's value. You could ask and see if you get some help on here. If you do decide to do auctions on ebay, almost any item (rare or not) will fetch more or less what it's worth if you have good pictures and a good description. I know a few people on here always suggest starting your auction at 99 cents. If you've watched other auctions, you'll know there's little chance you'll be stuck selling a $50 item for 99 cents. People know the value and the bidding will go up. If you start the bidding too high, people often just pass it by. If you start the bidding low, you get them interested and get them watching the item and bidding on it. As far as lumping together as a lot, that's usually not the best way to make the most money although I've seen some lots go for surprisingly high amounts occasionally. But generally selling each item individually is best. Although I'd love to see you put up some nice lots, those are fun to see and bid on and the easiest way to sell a bunch of stuff fast. If you are considering selling to people outside your area and will ship to them, I did send a PM with items I'm looking for. Your collection looks amazing. I hope this helps.

Mid peninsula

View attachment 16715View attachment 16716View attachment 16717View attachment 16718

You got to remember Ebay will tax you 10% & paypal will get you for another 4%.

T.Q.I.D(us promo T.I.A.L.T.N.G.O) usually goes for $80-120 on ebay.

Last edited:
I like to check out Popsike.com for past sales on Moz/Smiths
Nothing too concrete, but does give off some decent ballpark prices.

I suspect it is a package put together as a competition prize. In which case, someone at Rough Trade would have put it together, so that's sort of official. No idea on value, though, and Stephane may well be right.

No, nothing to do with Rough Trade and competitions. The cd is a reissue, not a first print. The postcard shows a photo dating a few years after Hatful Of Hollow was released. Rough Trade would not have promoted Hatful Of Hollow around the late 1980s or early 1990s.

In the 1990s and the late 1980s, many companies would package things together like this and sell them to collectors. These packages were even sold in official record shops. The engraved wood boxes for the Smiths' Best Of fits in this category as well.

Stephane

Awesome explaination Stephane, the cd cover dates it. I checked my other hatfuls and it's the reissue. The postcard say Italia and is in Italian. But I suspect that means nothing as far as origin.
image.jpg

Stephane is right (no surprise there). You'd see these Hatful box sets in record stores in the late '80s/early /90s.

Strange to see that much stuff within 30 mins of my house and I not knowing the owner.

Back
Top Bottom