I started something I couldn't finish: the Smiths reunion that wasn't - The Guardian

A somewhat padded-out interview with Messrs Joyce and Gannon about the recent Classically Smiths debacle.

I started something I couldn't finish: the Smiths reunion that wasn't - The Guardian
Three former members of the indie band were due to reunite for a series of gigs that fell apart as soon as they were announced. Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon explain why they tried to make it happen

42119_3360.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
You should write a book, evennow. You have a grasp of language that is revelatory yet accessible. And I agree about the ambiguity being nice to enjoy without the baggage of reality. I stay in the dark on purpose sometimes.

Thank you for that. You are kindness in itself. There are so many others here whose posts I read that are definitely more well read than I am. I need an editor because my sentence structure, grammar and punctuation can be quite appalling. Maybe a nice, light spirited book to keep in the loo, which might lead to a smile, chuckle, and a solid bowel movement.

"Revelatory yet accessible" is exactly what I strive to achieve with my posts. In another life, I feel I would have made a good stand up comedian in that I like to capture a thought or feeling in the moment and then walk around it to see where the funny is. If I would have had a Marr in my life, I might have overcome my shyness and taken the stage.

There are more than two sides to every story, in fact more like hundreds, and I like exploring them all before landing on a position, and even then I try not to place them in wet concrete. As far as Mike is concerned, the jury is out...get it...court case. Nothing? :)

Okay, you got me with that one. That shit's funny. :lbf: Rating updated to reflect my lulz.
:lbf: I can't even be serious about this topic. We all- (most of us, suspect) the Moz is more camp than a row of tents and more queer than a three dollar bill. That is established, despite the humasexual biz. Could there have been sexual tension among members of the band? Yeah. But I honestly think the official reasons are the most logical. That Johnny was playing music with others, and the whole newspaper debacle leading to hurt feelings on behalf of a guy who should have only been writing songs having to take on road/tour/band manager duties etc, not to mention that Morrissey was kind of a pain in the ass. Still is, by all accounts.

If there were any shenanigans, the moment that someone within the group has nothing left to lose- IE Deathbed confession, or that Morrissey dies, I'm sure they will come out. In the meantime, look at this photo.
Unrequited love in the band, sure, but the only screwing Mike ever gave Morrissey was in the courtroom.

e6128c2ba5720883033ec06614199dcd--the-smiths-johnny-marr.jpg

Come on Peterb. She's the worst of all at bullying people. I seriously thought you were smarter than that. You need to check yourself.

The sanest person on the forum: KS.

As for the debate about who loved whom and who said whatever at a pub replying "yes" and "no" answers... and who were lover and who were not lovers....

The sanest person on the forum: KS.

As for the debate about who loved whom and who said whatever at a pub replying "yes" and "no" answers... and who were lover and who were not lovers....

I already know you're her toadie, so no need to keep shouting it from the rooftops. Nobody cares.

Well, here's an idea, perhaps if you didn't relentlessly troll everybody who has a different point of view to you they might not say mean things about you.

'troll everybody who has a different point of view to you'

Never did that. But I do as we all do on this site, and that is, we reply and comment with our own opinions on things, is this trolling ? So the people who continually reply to my comments should be called trolls then if they have a different view or opinion than me?

I was replying in my way with my opinions and views, I'm not looking for attacks or to argue with anyone, so trolling? No.

A not very swift eclipse is the one who is trolling me. In this thread https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/aimee-mann.141786/#post-1987061184, Before I even posted a comment( and I didn't intend to), S.E wrote some not very nice things about me, and so I responded in kind, since that's all his small mind seems to understand.

I would call someone that writes derogatory things about you in a post that is not in reply to you as... trolling.

Well, the lyrics are a bit of speculation but the fixation is there for all to see in the photos.

I submit to the evidence folder..
Smiths.jpg

I submit to the evidence folder..
View attachment 43658

Maybe they were both in love, maybe there was unrequited love, or maybe they just were very happy because their dream was coming true thanks to the other person. I see people hugging and kissing all the time, especially when they are happy with what they are doing or they are celebrating success, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are in a love relationship. Anyway, if a love affair was the cause of the band separation, maybe they could have reunited years later. It seems there was something bigger at that time or later that broadened the gap between M & M, the only two members who can form the true band again. Unless one or both of them are too sensitive and can not forget. Who knows. Private matters.

Maybe they were both in love, maybe there was unrequited love, or maybe they just were very happy because their dream was coming true thanks to the other person. I see people hugging and kissing all the time, especially when they are happy with what they are doing or they are celebrating success, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are in a love relationship. Anyway, if a love affair was the cause of the band separation, maybe they could have reunited years later. It seems there was something bigger at that time or later that broadened the gap between M & M, the only two members who can form the true band again. Unless one or both of them are too sensitive and can not forget. Who knows. Private matters.
Ah, yes, but when you're British, you don't really do that :eek: Especially not 30 years ago. That's why it was so noticeable.

'troll everybody who has a different point of view to you'

Never did that. But I do as we all do on this site, and that is, we reply and comment with our own opinions on things, is this trolling ? So the people who continually reply to my comments should be called trolls then if they have a different view or opinion than me?

I was replying in my way with my opinions and views, I'm not looking for attacks or to argue with anyone, so trolling? No.

A not very swift eclipse is the one who is trolling me. In this thread https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/aimee-mann.141786/#post-1987061184, Before I even posted a comment( and I didn't intend to), S.E wrote some not very nice things about me, and so I responded in kind, since that's all his small mind seems to understand.

I would call someone that writes derogatory things about you in a post that is not in reply to you as... trolling.

You sure do know a lot about trolling. Troll. I will post about who I want, where I want, when I want and I don't need your approval. Neither does anyone else. So f*** off and take your meds.

You sure do know a lot about trolling. Troll. I will post about who I want, where I want, when I want and I don't need your approval. Neither does anyone else. So f*** off and take your meds.

'I will post about who I want, where I want, when I want and I don't need your approval.'

I never said you needed my approval.

I was simply pointing out that commenting on a thread with ones opinions is not always trolling. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, it wasn't intentional. I was just using your post as an example to show Pep what I feel trolling is.

:lbf: I can't even be serious about this topic. We all- (most of us, suspect) the Moz is more camp than a row of tents and more queer than a three dollar bill. That is established, despite the humasexual biz. Could there have been sexual tension among members of the band? Yeah. But I honestly think the official reasons are the most logical. That Johnny was playing music with others, and the whole newspaper debacle leading to hurt feelings on behalf of a guy who should have only been writing songs having to take on road/tour/band manager duties etc, not to mention that Morrissey was kind of a pain in the ass. Still is, by all accounts.

If there were any shenanigans, the moment that someone within the group has nothing left to lose- IE Deathbed confession, or that Morrissey dies, I'm sure they will come out. In the meantime, look at this photo.
Unrequited love in the band, sure, but the only screwing Mike ever gave Morrissey was in the courtroom.

View attachment 43655

Ouch!!! Feel the bern....................

Ah, yes, but when you're British, you don't really do that :eek: Especially not 30 years ago. That's why it was so noticeable.

That was part of the cultural paradigm shift they shared with other bands and artists. They could have been in a romantic relationship without showing it.

love birds obviously... you can just see the chemistry between these two below ...
42119_3360.jpg

Tags
classically smiths craig gannon mike joyce

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom