I Starting Something/Suedehead connection

All I know is the 'when you know it makes things hard for me' line is a great bit of penile erection innuendo .
Never paid any attention to that song as it was before my time but thanks, that was a one eye opener.

Then again, as I always say, too much double entendre makes you deaf...and even more so when you aren't listening to start with :lbf:

For instance I immediately dismissed the song wpinoyb as a turgid turd...But perhaps it's actually rife with innuendo?

Would it make the song less dreadful, well no, but they could use it in a cheap modern version of "Cabaret" or something...

I think that pop songs about homosexual relationships count as "different". Before the Smiths, not a lot of male singers overtly sang about other men. I remember Don McLean's song "Vincent" (about Vincent Van Gogh) got some stick for being "gay" - just because he was singing about a man, even a historical figure!

Also, I don't know if any of you have ever written lyrics, but a lot of songs are not just about one thing or person. Lyricists will collect good lines as they occur to them and can put them together to see if they hang together well, either thematically or how they sound sung. Individual lines can be about a certain person or situation, but the next line or verse can be about something else. It's all fun conjecture though!
i like what you say about the arrangement of individual lines. it rings different in a modern way. the biographical approach won't ever do that for me.

Also interesting, Bernard brought up that Johnny played bass on "Well I Wonder" although Stephen Street couldn't remember that.

I hadn't heard that before, but the bassline does mirror Johnny's guitar line very closely (much more than Andy's bass usually does), so it sounds plausible.

Tags
lyrics suedehead
Back
Top Bottom