"I Want to Wrap My Arms Around Paris"

Discuss...

I for one think this song will be surprisingly good and he gave it a...umm...interesting title just for fun.

Dude, only the people who were there tonight..know what the song's lyrics are...and nobody's posted them or even alluded to what the song is about yet...

Hopefully, we'll know more by tomorrow...

I think it might be the CITY of Paris

Texas that is

Dude, only the people who were there tonight..know what the song's lyrics are...and nobody's posted them or even alluded to what the song is about yet...

Hopefully, we'll know more by tomorrow...

I think it might be the CITY of Paris

Texas that is

Yes, obviously he's not referring to Paris Hilton, I never meant to imply that, I still don't care for the title. If it was "I Want to Wrap My Arms Around Tokyo" it would sound just as bad without any famous namesakes.

Yes, obviously he's not referring to Paris Hilton, I never meant to imply that, I still don't care for the title. If it was "I Want to Wrap My Arms Around Tokyo" it would sound just as bad without any famous namesakes.

Yeah..we'll have to wait and see..hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds

Questions: "Only the people there tonight know the lyrics." Know how? Did you HEAR this song??? If so, how was it??? Can you post the lyrics???

Questions: "Only the people there tonight know the lyrics." Know how? Did you HEAR this song??? If so, how was it??? Can you post the lyrics???

We're waiting for one to post..or for somebody to post something RELEVENT about the song on the front page...only post I saw was someone saying it was about Paris, prince of Troy...but that sounded lame

More new songs?

:)
The man is unstoppable.

EDIT: So I see no realistic chance that he's really written a song about Paris Hilton - especially given his at-length ramblings about Paris, France; I automatically assumed that that was the subject.

If it is the Hilton heiress, I have to admit, I'm going to think less of him unless it's done really well - it's just too easy a shot. But then, he also wrote "Get Off The Stage" and I recovered, so I'm sure I'll survive either way.

Last edited:
Now it might be "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris", which to me sounds slightly better. Now this time I'm really going to bed :p, bye...

this must have been written around the time she was released from jail. hell, it was EVERYWHERE, i think i even might have a 10 page essay influenced by it. brainwashing....mass brainwashing! morrissey, and the rest of us who want to remain sane, should stay away from television sets or any form of conglomerate driven media.

Of course you don't make up a title like this without at least implying you could be referring to Paris Hilton. And Moz knows this all too well.
Looking forward to the lyrics!

Of course you don't make up a title like this without at least implying you could be referring to Paris Hilton. And Moz knows this all too well.
Looking forward to the lyrics!

Well, not necessarily. He's not American, is the Paris Hilton thing really that predominant overseas? (If you are UK-based, though, Thewlis, I guess that answers my question.)

I mean, I'm American and reasonably pop-culturally literate and I thought of Moz' True To You letter about "walking and melting and walking and melting" when I read the title...

Eh, you're right, let's wait for more news. :) If I'm wrong I'll owe everybody a sundae.

Last edited:
Does he sing about explosive kegs in this one? :p

:) If Sufjan Stevens can write an album for every state, and They Might Be Giants can write a song for every venue they play, Morrissey can write an unlikely testicular metaphor for every major world city.

He can even do a cover of "Amsterdam," if he can think of a way to make Coldplay sound interesting: "Stuck on the edge with this ball and chain..."

Excuse cheap Coldplay dig please. It's late.

Last edited:
I liked that Coldplay video that ran backwards.
sorry, I'll stay on topic.

So, you say Morrissey has a new song, eh?

Well, I spoke to someone who was at the show. It was partially video recorded. Will be up when he has access.

Said the song was slow-paced and a "grower". I thought AYNIM was instantly treasureable, whereas THPGU was a "grower." From the start, I was always impressed with Mozzer's vocal delivery on THPGU even though I thought the lyrics weren't quite up to the poetry of the days when he was hopelessly poor.

I think "Paris" will be a very slow grower on me. I imagine (probably without foundation) that it'll be on par with "Christian Dior" in pace and the patterns of peaks and valleys in terms of memorable lyrics.

I'll never forget the joke Moz made when he last played the Olympia in Paris: He told the audience, most of whom had probably spent their last Euro to see the show, that he'd love to live in Paris but that he couldn't afford it!

Well, I spoke to someone who was at the show. It was partially video recorded. Will be up when he has access.

Said the song was slow-paced and a "grower". I thought AYNIM was instantly treasureable, whereas THPGU was a "grower." From the start, I was always impressed with Mozzer's vocal delivery on THPGU even though I thought the lyrics weren't quite up to the poetry of the days when he was hopelessly poor.

I think "Paris" will be a very slow grower on me. I imagine (probably without foundation) that it'll be on par with "Christian Dior" in pace and the patterns of peaks and valleys in terms of memorable lyrics.

I'll never forget the joke Moz made when he last played the Olympia in Paris: He told the audience, most of whom had probably spent their last Euro to see the show, that he'd love to live in Paris but that he couldn't afford it!

Slow growers are all very well for us die hard fans but a play on the radio will not pull anyone new in.The radio stations here are reluctant to play Morrissey anyway and if he wants any real success with his next single he`s going to have to reel `em in from the first chord.

Eh, I can do with Morrissey not being on the radio anymore, I gave up on that.
I just want him to keep making beautiful moving songs. :)
The rest of the world doesn't deserve morrissey like we do anyway

The rest of the world doesn't deserve morrissey like we do anyway

i really hope this was a joke, otherwise it just sounds really stupid and ignorant. morrissey's music should be (and thankfully is) open to anyone of any age - longtime fan or not. thats what really gets to me about morrissey fans, always trying to come off as being superior or doing the whole "i'm a bigger fan than you because i saw the smiths 10 times in 1984" routine.

and i'm sure morrissey is bothered about the lack of radio play, given the amount of complaining he does about it at gigs and in interviews. more radio play = more fans = more tickets and albums sold = more money and fame.

i really hope this was a joke, otherwise it just sounds really stupid and ignorant. morrissey's music should be (and thankfully is) open to anyone of any age - longtime fan or not. thats what really gets to me about morrissey fans, always trying to come off as being superior or doing the whole "i'm a bigger fan than you because i saw the smiths 10 times in 1984" routine.

and i'm sure morrissey is bothered about the lack of radio play, given the amount of complaining he does about it at gigs and in interviews. more radio play = more fans = more tickets and albums sold = more money and fame.

Well, joke or not, sadly, this world is full of repressed, tasteless, dimwits. So even if I wasn't joking, well, as you've seen for the past 20+ years, Morrissey only appeals to a very select, unique but loyal fanbase. And I really do think Morrissey is very content with that. Maybe when he started the Smiths, he was definately more ambitious, its youthful ambition. But now, at his age, and what he's been through...I think he's happy just writting music, singing on stage, and still having a good quality fanbase, as opposed to a shitty massive fanbase as one that follows shameful artist like Spice Girls, Britney, My Chemical, etc. I think this is reflective in his solo career. His solo career is less 'pop' than the Smiths were. And in a way, it makes sense. Morrissey has his voice, and his mind, and a pen. The Smiths were a whole pop arrangement for him to sing over.
Anyway, I don't think I'm better than anyone, because for one, even though I've been following Morrissey for 14 years, there's always those who have been there since day one, 25 years ago. So, yeah, there's always a fan out there that has been to more shows, met morrissey more times, and has posted on this so-low board many more years than say I, or you. So what difference does it make?

I dunno, I'm actually disgusted at the idea of Morrissey wanting more Money. I really don't think that's his goal. I mean, he's said it in the past, when he tours he doesn't profit much out of it. Now, radio play, yes, who wouldn't like their songs played on the radio? and he's achieved it, with The More you Ignore Me, Suedehead, Tomorrow, and more recently "The first of the gang to die," and "Irish Blood." And guess what? He still complains, that's his nature.

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom