I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Jamie Stewart of Xiu Xiu (2017)

I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Talkhouse
With Low in High School, Moz commits sacrilege against himself.
By Jamie Stewart | December 13, 2017

Excerpt:

This review of Morrissey’s Low in High School was very challenging. On alpha-and-omega personal levels, Morrissey is hands-down my favorite lyricist, the one from whom I have learned and stolen the most. Though Morrissey might not approve of the religious association here, to me, he is the Father. The albums he made with the Smiths and His solo records will forever be in my lifelong top 10: The first time I ever had sex in an appropriate way was while listening to Hatful of Hollow. I had a Smiths poster on bedroom wall until I was 32. I have seen Morrissey in concert more than any other artist. My brother, barber, and first boyfriend all have Morrissey tattoos. He is very important to me, and I feel unworthy of critiquing the man who essentially raised me musically. Essentially, I want to believe in Him. I have, since I was a teenager, needed to believe.

It was also challenging because His last record was unlistenable. 2009’s Years of Refusal is one of His best ever ever ever, but I couldn’t even get through 2014’s World Peace is None of Your Business. I was shocked—maybe I just hate dogs? Either way, because of it, I nervously entered into writing this nervously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Morrissey's music and lots of other bands music, however I don't like what Morrissey talks about from time to time.

:rolleyes:

let me fix:

"Skinny doesnt like what Morrissey talks about from time to time"

there,:lbf:

This is the song by the Pet Shop Boys called "Miserablism". Again, they are making fun of Morrissey:

They are also making fun of themselves, since Smash Hits used to call PSB "the most miserable men in pop". And putting that Sparks song on a list of anti-Morrissey songs is just bizarre. It's a joke and a tribute. You should really lighten up.

They are also making fun of themselves, since Smash Hits used to call PSB "the most miserable men in pop". And putting that Sparks song on a list of anti-Morrissey songs is just bizarre. It's a joke and a tribute. You should really lighten up.
For Neil Tennant to say that all of Morrissey's songs all seem to sound the same to him, regardless of which decade he releases them would suggest that Neil Tennant isn't much of a Morrissey fan. He might of gone to a Morrissey concert once in the past but that doesn't mean that he is a Morrissey fan.

See link: https://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/31/1644217

The 'Pet Shop Boys' were friends with Johnny Marr in the past. Maybe they are still friends with Johnny Marr? Johnny Marr worked with Neil Tennant not just on the 'Electronic' track "Getting Away With It" but Johnny also worked with the actual band the 'Pet Shop Boys' on some of their albums! There isn't any evidence to suggest that Morrissey was ever really friends with the 'Pet Shop Boys' though?

Morrissey loved the American band 'Sparks' and I believe that he was friends with them in the past. Morrissey was very supportive of 'Sparks'in the past. However, things have changed since then-

An interview was published in which 'Sparks' singer, Russell Mael is quoted as saying about Morrissey:

"I'm totally in agreement with anybody being disillusioned because I am as well. It seems so inconsistent, all these perspectives that he has on various issues, just stupid, dumb kind of things. I obviously don't agree with any of these things. They're just so ill-conceived and wrong."

Obviously the quotes may not be true, but if they are, it is very disappointing that Russell Mael; just like so many others, has been sucked-in by mainstream media headlines. Mael doesn't actually state what exactly it is that he finds "inconsistent" or what words of Morrissey's are "stupid and dumb" or what it is that he doesn't agree with. He also doesn't state what it is that is "ill-conceived and wrong".

See link: http://followingthemozziah.blogspot.com/2018/05/thursday-may-24-2018-real-and-proper.html

I didn't compile the list of 15 ant-Morrissey songs. I just found the list on the internet. 'Sparks' song “Lighten Up, Morrissey” is on the list. You would have to ask Morrissey if he found the song funny and saw it as a joke and a tribute to him?

The list of 15 anti-Morrissey songs was published in 2015. I believe that there have been other songs since then. See link: https://music.avclub.com/viva-hate-15-anti-morrissey-songs-1798222021

I'm not sure how much Morrissey has in common with Neil Tennant? Apart from the fact that they are both singers working in the music industry. Also they might have similar views about the British Royal family and homosexuality, sexuality in general and Islamic oppression of sexuality.

I think that Morrissey and Neil Tennant are coming from different places both musically and politically.

For Neil Tennant to say that all of Morrissey's songs all seem to sound the same to him, regardless of which decade he releases them would suggest that Neil Tennant isn't much of a Morrissey fan. He might of gone to a Morrissey concert once in the past but that doesn't mean that he is a Morrissey fan.

The 'Pet Shop Boys' were friends with Johnny Marr in the past. Maybe they are still friends with Johnny Marr? Johnny Marr worked with Neil Tennant not just on the 'Electronic' track "Getting Away With It" but Johnny also worked with the actual band the 'Pet Shop Boys' on some of their albums! There isn't any evidence to suggest that Morrissey was ever really friends with the 'Pet Shop Boys' though?

Morrissey loved the American band 'Sparks' and I believe that he was friends with them in the past. Morrissey was very supportive of 'Sparks'in the past. However, things have changed since then-

An interview was published in which 'Sparks' singer, Russell Mael is quoted as saying about Morrissey:

"I'm totally in agreement with anybody being disillusioned because I am as well. It seems so inconsistent, all these perspectives that he has on various issues, just stupid, dumb kind of things. I obviously don't agree with any of these things. They're just so ill-conceived and wrong."

Obviously the quotes may not be true, but if they are, it is very disappointing that Russell Mael; just like so many others, has been sucked-in by mainstream media headlines. Mael doesn't actually state what exactly it is that he finds "inconsistent" or what words of Morrissey's are "stupid and dumb" or what it is that he doesn't agree with. He also doesn't state what it is that is "ill-conceived and wrong".

See link: http://followingthemozziah.blogspot.com/2018/05/thursday-may-24-2018-real-and-proper.html

I didn't compile the list of 15 ant-Morrissey songs. I just found the list on the internet. 'Sparks' song “Lighten Up, Morrissey” is on the list. You would have to ask Morrissey if he found the song funny and saw it as a joke and a tribute to him?

The list of 15 anti-Morrissey songs was published in 2015. I believe that there have been other songs since then. See link: https://music.avclub.com/viva-hate-15-anti-morrissey-songs-1798222021

I'm not sure how much Morrissey has in common with Neil Tennant? Apart from the fact that they are both singers working in the music industry. Also they might have similar views about the British Royal family and homosexuality, sexuality in general and Islamic oppression of sexuality.

I think that Morrissey and Neil Tennant are coming from different places both musically and politically.

Mr Cometry is bed buddies with anyone that disses Moz:straightface:

the Pets Shop Cuks.:lbf:

Sparks are goofy twats. both of them VERY STRAIGHT!!:lbf::lbf::lbf: NOT:lbf:

o_O

that list reads like lunchtime at the insane asylum. possibly if not exactly they are all insane, with names like
Mr Floppy:crazy: and ..wtf Turbonegro:crazy:.
the Meatmen made songs by hitting the guitar, they dont qualify as a proper band making proper music.:lbf:
to say they suck is to compliment them.

then they are the certifiable twats, like the 'theres a giraffe in my pool' twatters Spark. I mean fook, master twats those two twats.

and the pet shop c***s.:eek:

and then of course the dramatically jealous one.......:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
and his co twat Bernard in what many knowers of music consider the wankiest of all bands in history:
Electronic:lbf:
Hi Vegan Cro Spirit,

Sorry, the list of 15 anti-Morrissey songs was published in 201o NOT in 2015. I got it wrong. 2010 is quite a long time ago now! I believe that there have been other anti-Morrissey songs since then. See link: https://music.avclub.com/viva-hate-15-anti-morrissey-songs-1798222021

I didn't compile this list of 15 anti-Morrissey songs. I just found it on the internet. There might be some mistakes in this list I don't know.

I have heard of the late Mark E. Smith (from his band 'The Fall'). I have heard of the 'Pet Shop Boys'. I have heard of 'Electronic'. I have heard of 'Sparks'. The rest of the artists that are mentioned on the list I'm not sure that I have heard of them.

The American band 'Ween' rings a bell somewhere in the back of my mind:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ween

You are right that some of the artists that are mentioned on the list do have some strange sounding names.

Morrissey loved the band 'Sparks' in the past he was very supportive of them but the stuff that Russell Mael has allegedly said more recently might of put Morrissey off them. :(

The 15 anti-Morrissey song list was compiled in 2010 so it doesn't have more recent stuff like that horrible hip hop band thing. I don't remember the details of them because it upset me so much. :cry: It doesn't mention 'The National' American indie band or other more recent horrible stuff.

Neil Tennant is "openly homosexual." Chris Lowe is not interested in discussing his personal affairs.
You might be interested in this quote from Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys who said this in an interview:

"What is the moderate Muslim position on homosexuality? What actually is it? I think it’s actually something reasonably horrifying. I read that some guys have recently been killed in Iraq for being gay. But actually in Britain I find the whole gay issue a bore really, I’ve always said it is a political issue. The whole idea of gays was created in the 1970s as a political reaction against oppression and as the oppression fades away, so the idea of ‘gay’ will fade away and we will lose our obsession with someone’s sexuality, which I still believe is a weird thing. I also feel it’s forcing people to be either gay or straight or whatever. "

Taken from this interview see link:

https://petshopboys-online.com/interviews/pet-shop-boys-interview/

SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO INSERT A LINK IF YOU NOW WHAT I MEAN

Morrissey loved the American band 'Sparks' and I believe that he was friends with them in the past. Morrissey was very supportive of 'Sparks' in the past. However, things have changed since then-

I didn't compile the list of 15 anti-Morrissey songs. I just found the list on the internet. 'Sparks' song “Lighten Up, Morrissey” is on the list. You would have to ask Morrissey if he found the song funny and saw it as a joke and a tribute to him?

The list of 15 anti-Morrissey songs was published in 2010. I believe that there have been other anti-Morrissey songs recorded since then. See link: https://music.avclub.com/viva-hate-15-anti-morrissey-songs-1798222021

This is the link about the singer Russell Mael from the American band 'Sparks' thoughts about Morrissey: http://home.bt.com/news/showbiz-new...lusioned-by-morrissey-comments-11364273492947

Sparks singer Russell Mael has described comments Morrissey made in April, 2018 about politics and race and in 2017 in response to the Manchester terror attack as “ill-conceived and wrong”.

Russell Mael, whose pop-rock band is famously beloved by the former Smiths singer and who is a 'fan' of Morrissey himself, added that he “does not understand” the remarks.

Morrissey recently made comments where he suggested people should give far-right political party 'For Britain' a chance and that Halal meat production required “certification that can only be given by supporters of Isis”.

Following the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in the Manchester Arena in May 2017, the singer implied in a statement that politicians were scared to call the attacker an Islamist extremist.

Asked for his thoughts on Morrissey's comments, Russell Mael told the Press Association: “I’m totally in agreement with anybody being disillusioned because I am as well.

“It seemed so inconsistent, all these perspectives that he has on those various issues, just stupid, dumb kind of things.

“I obviously don’t agree with any of these things. They’re just so ill-conceived and wrong.”

He added: “It’s just a pity. When you’re a fan of somebody you want to be a fan in all sorts of ways.

“You may be like ‘I still really like the music, but the person, I can’t agree with their stance’.

“I’m like all the people that don’t understand what is in his mind. I don’t understand.”

Morrissey has cited Sparks as an influence and even wrote to the NME magazine as a teenager in 1974 to praise their music.

Sparks returned the favour in 2008/2009 with a humorous 'tribute'? single to the Manchester singer called "Lighten Up Morrissey".

Russell Mael, who was speaking ahead of Sparks’s tour of the UK in support of their latest album, also said that production of an upcoming film that he and bandmate and brother Ron have written was “moving forward”.

I think that Russell Mael has really betrayed Morrissey by saying these things. He was no true friend to Morrissey. :(

This is the link about the singer Russell Mael from the American band 'Sparks' thoughts about Morrissey: http://home.bt.com/news/showbiz-new...lusioned-by-morrissey-comments-11364273492947

Sparks singer Russell Mael has described comments Morrissey made in April, 2018 about politics and race and in 2017 in response to the Manchester terror attack as “ill-conceived and wrong”.

Russell Mael, whose pop-rock band is famously beloved by the former Smiths singer and who is a 'fan' of Morrissey himself, added that he “does not understand” the remarks.

Morrissey recently made comments where he suggested people should give far-right political party 'For Britain' a chance and that Halal meat production required “certification that can only be given by supporters of Isis”.

Following the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in the Manchester Arena in May 2017, the singer implied in a statement that politicians were scared to call the attacker an Islamist extremist.

Asked for his thoughts on Morrissey's comments, Russell Mael told the Press Association: “I’m totally in agreement with anybody being disillusioned because I am as well.

“It seemed so inconsistent, all these perspectives that he has on those various issues, just stupid, dumb kind of things.

“I obviously don’t agree with any of these things. They’re just so ill-conceived and wrong.”

He added: “It’s just a pity. When you’re a fan of somebody you want to be a fan in all sorts of ways.

“You may be like ‘I still really like the music, but the person, I can’t agree with their stance’.

“I’m like all the people that don’t understand what is in his mind. I don’t understand.”

Morrissey has cited Sparks as an influence and even wrote to the NME magazine as a teenager in 1974 to praise their music.

Sparks returned the favour in 2008/2009 with a humorous 'tribute'? single to the Manchester singer called "Lighten Up Morrissey".

Russell Mael, who was speaking ahead of Sparks’s tour of the UK in support of their latest album, also said that production of an upcoming film that he and bandmate and brother Ron have written was “moving forward”.

I think that Russell Mael has really betrayed Morrissey by saying these things. He was no true friend to Morrissey. :(

So what you are saying is that in your opinion anybody who has a different point of view to Morrissey has betrayed Morrissey?

This comment by Russell sums up what a lot of people in the UK feel - “You may be like ‘I still really like the music, but the person, I can’t agree with their stance’

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that in your opinion anybody who has a different point of view to Morrissey has betrayed Morrissey?

That's not what they were saying.
I wouldn't call it betrayal, personally, but I agree. The problem isn't that Russell had a different point of view. The problem is that Russell was supposed to be Moz's friend.
Russ could've rang him up and said, "Hey Morrissey, what the hell are you saying?". The problem is that he publically denounced Moz.

If they weren't friends anymore, I don't have a problem.

This comment by Russell sums up what a lot of people in the UK feel - “You may be like ‘I still really like the music, but the person, I can’t agree with their stance’
I just think that it is strange thing for a friend to do. Russell Mael isn't just a regular Morrissey fan from what I understand he was friends with Morrissey. I might be wrong but that was what I believed to be true.

From what you are saying you aren't friends with Morrissey on a personal level. You are only a fan of his music. You disagree with some of Morrissey's views about things. You are entitled to your opinion.

If I was friends with someone I wouldn't go to the press in I'm guessing a paid interview and say that sort of thing. Russell Mael was obviously promoting his band 'Sparks' in the article as well which he is entitled to do.

I think that James Maker is a true friend to Morrissey. I have huge respect for James Maker! James Maker has never betrayed Morrissey.

I think that Chrissie Hynde is another true friend to Morrissey. There are some other true friends as well like Nancy Sinatra.

From what I understand Boy George is a fan of Morrissey but he isn't friends with him on a personal level. Boy George never says anything horrible or critical about Morrissey either about his views or other things. I have respect for Boy George.

I'm a fan of Morrissey's music. I also really love and respect Morrissey as person. I agree with a lot of the things that Morrissey says. For instance I'm a big supporter of Israel. I agree with Morrissey about the #MeToo movement. I agree with Morrissey about animal welfare. I think that Morrissey is very brave to speak out the way he does. I believe that Morrissey is fighting the system.

It annoys me that the media always say that For Britain is a 'far-right' political party. I don't see it like that.

Morrissey cares about what is going on in Venezuela in South America. I think that Morrissey cares so much about people, animals and the world.

Sparks are insufferable twats.
who prances around in bermuda shorts onstage at 70 years old and then gives peeps advice about Politics FFS:crazy: singing about a hippo.
certifiable cuks.o_O

Tags
low in high school info
Back
Top Bottom