Poll IANADOAC is his best album since...?

IANADOAC Is Morrissey's Best Album Since?

• California Son

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Low In High School

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • WPINOYB

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Years Of Rufusal

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Ringleader Of The Tormentors

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • You Are The Quarry

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Maladjusted

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Southpaw Grammar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vauxhall And I

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Your Arsenal

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Kill Uncle

• Bona Drag

• Viva Hate

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • His days in The Smiths

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
I
I had an edited playlist of World Peace on in the car going to work this morning and it is very strong, obviously the extra tracks are excellent and subsequently the title track and I’m Not A Man just missed out:

1 Istanbul
2 Staircase At The University
3 The Bullfighter Dies
4 Drag The River
5 Kiss Me A Lot
6 Mountjoy
7 Forgive Someone
8 Julie In The Weeds
9 Art Hounds
10 Oboe Concerto

As just a 10 track album this would’ve been his strongest album since Quarry, and possibly his most consistent since Vauxhall.
Why would you discard 8 songs? Never understood the concept of cutting songs from an album to make it 'better', original format always makes sense in my opinion. I bought the deluxe version as it was something like £2 dearer than the 12 track album, it had 6 extra songs and released on same day so 18 new Moz songs, result! World Peace the song is excellent and I reckon underrated, an absolute wall of sound and that isn't mentioned much. I feel Moz's vocal is impassioned and he obviously rates the song as it's still in live set. Very strong album over the 18 songs although some songs obviously stronger than others.

I

Why would you discard 8 songs? Never understood the concept of cutting songs from an album to make it 'better', original format always makes sense in my opinion. I bought the deluxe version as it was something like £2 dearer than the 12 track album, it had 6 extra songs and released on same day so 18 new Moz songs, result! World Peace the song is excellent and I reckon underrated, an absolute wall of sound and that isn't mentioned much. I feel Moz's vocal is impassioned and he obviously rates the song as it's still in live set. Very strong album over the 18 songs although some songs obviously stronger than others.
The music to the song 'World Peace' is indeed brilliant. The lyrics, however, are both patronising and idiotic.
'Oh Brazil, Bahrain, and Ukraine - so many people in pain!'
And bad songs can really sink albums - it's well worth editing them down, especially if there's better b-sides to replace the duff songs with.

I

I get your point and tend to agree, I guess my point was simply World Peace could’ve been better (in my opinion) by just a simple adjustment to the track listing, whereas I don’t really feel like that for any of the other solo albums, bar the odd track here and there - even the Queen Is Dead would’ve been better had Asleep been included at the expense of Vicar In A Tutu.

The only other album that could’ve been quite different is Quarry as those sessions include so many great b-sides that also did not make the album. I suppose this is because both Quarry and World Peace were released after many lean years.

I didn’t particularly like the reissues of the solo albums as they had been chopped and changed, leaving The Ordinary Boys off Viva Hate was probably the worst thing Morrissey has done in recent years.

Voted for since Quarry, and see that it's the majority. It really is a great album.
Ringleader produced some great b-sides (Ganglord, Christian Dior, If You Don't Like Me... which is being played on the current tour) but as far as the album proper I feel I Am Not a Dog on a Chain is stronger.

Not if you think California Son is his second best album.

Thanks, that articulates what I considered the problem. The poll question is loaded, I think; it seems to assume that I Am Not a Dog on a Chain can't be his worst album.

I voted best since V & I.
For me, V& I, Bona Drag are his best, and it doesn't match those.
That being said, it competes quite well with his other stronger albums, and it is probably too early to give it a definite ranking. I am enjoying it a lot now, lets see how I feel about it 3 or 5 years from now.

I had an edited playlist of World Peace on in the car going to work this morning and it is very strong, obviously the extra tracks are excellent and subsequently the title track and I’m Not A Man just missed out:

1 Istanbul
3 The Bullfighter Dies
4 Drag The River
5 Kiss Me A Lot
6 Mountjoy
7 Forgive Someone
8 Julie In The Weeds
9 Art Hounds
10 Oboe Concerto

As just a 10 track album this would’ve been his strongest album since Quarry, and possibly his most consistent since Vauxhall.
If it had to be ten tracks these would be mine -

Istanbul
Staircase
Forgive
Julie
Drag
Kiss Me A Lot
Mountjoy
Kick The Bride
Scandinavia
One Of Our Own

For twelve I'd add -

Neal
Earth

1 Istanbul
3 The Bullfighter Dies
4 Drag The River
5 Kiss Me A Lot
6 Mountjoy
7 Forgive Someone
8 Julie In The Weeds
9 Art Hounds
10 Oboe Concerto

Leaving out One Of Our Own and especially Smiler With Knife seems criminal to me to be honest. Two of his best songs of the last decade in my opinion. Otherwise I like your selection.

Thanks, that articulates what I considered the problem. The poll question is loaded, I think; it seems to assume that I Am Not a Dog on a Chain can't be his worst album.

Er, no. Saying it's his best since CS means it's not better than CS. It still could be his worst. I chose Quarry which means it's not better than Quarry but is better than

California Son
Low In High School
WPINOYB
Years Of Rufusal
Ringleader Of The Tormentors

The music to the song 'World Peace' is indeed brilliant. The lyrics, however, are both patronising and idiotic.
I think the whole point of that song is that it's patronising- the narrator is meant to be some kind of government official talking down to the little man, telling him to fall in line and never think for himself or protest. It has its clumsy lines, but I see nothing wrong with the concept of it.

If it had to be ten tracks these would be mine -

Istanbul
Staircase
Forgive
Julie
Drag
Kiss Me A Lot
Mountjoy
Kick The Bride
Scandinavia
One Of Our Own

For twelve I'd add -

Neal
Earth

Istanbul is so f***ing great. Julie and Drag are great too. Gosh, these are good songs. Love my Stevie.

1 Istanbul
3 The Bullfighter Dies
4 Drag The River
5 Kiss Me A Lot
6 Mountjoy
7 Forgive Someone
8 Julie In The Weeds
9 Art Hounds
10 Oboe Concerto

I REALLY like this listing.

And bad songs can really sink albums - it's well worth editing them down, especially if there's better b-sides to replace the duff songs with.
Well I like the song World Peace as a whole, it was the first song I heard off album on some late night radio, think it was Janice Long on Radio 2, I've no problem whatsoever with mentions of countries in it and people trapped in poverty, it is called World Peace Is None Of Your Business after all, the music, lyrics and voice are great on that song. Point I was making was I don't own the 12 track version of album so to me I've always looked at it as an 18 track album which as a whole body of work makes more sense, to my ears anyway.

1 Istanbul
3 The Bullfighter Dies
4 Drag The River
5 Kiss Me A Lot
6 Mountjoy
7 Forgive Someone
8 Julie In The Weeds
9 Art Hounds
10 Oboe Concerto

I've got a couple of issues with Art Hounds which always detract from the song for me, firstly the marching band intro just seems totally out of place & I reckon the song would be a whole lot better without it and secondly the dreaded "fat aunt Mabel lines" are horrible! Other than that song's great by the way.

I've got a couple of issues with Art Hounds which always detract from the song for me, firstly the marching band intro just seems totally out of place & I reckon the song would be a whole lot better without it and secondly the dreaded "fat aunt Mabel lines" are horrible! Other than that song's great by the way.
Yes, same problem for me with Art Hounds. Fat Aunt Mable is one of his worst ever lyrics, up there with kegs between legs. Ruins the song.

Never understood the concept of cutting songs from an album to make it 'better', original format always makes sense in my opinion.
I think the point is, that the best songs should have been on the main album, not relegated to extra tracks that a lot of casual buyers would never even have heard in the first place. Personally I would have cut 'World Peace', 'Istanbul', 'The Bullfighter Dies', 'Kiss Me a Lot' and 'Kick the Bride' and replaced them with all the bonus tracks except 'One of Our Own' (the excessive rhyming lyrics are just too annoying for me).

There is a decent album somewhere in there, but the main 12 track release as it stands is one of his weakest offerings, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom