IANADOAC - lyrics discussion thread (now with added lyrics!)

I'm currently in possession of 3 of the released formats. If nothing appears in the next couple of hours, look to this thread for my own photos of the lyrics/sheets.
Hopefully better than what's been shared already.
Just running the gauntlet to get home.
Regards,
FWD.

f*** Billy Bragg.

And not in a good way.

Having said that, yes. It's the same song. Big shock there...Bragg's been shit talking him for a year. He's either seeped into the Moz camp's subconscious or Morrissey told them "f*** this guy; let's rip off a song just ambiguously enough to piss him off."

I think it's just a coincidence really - it's quite a simple chord sequence, both songs played at a similar tempo in a jangly guitar style, and Moz and Billy probably have a similar vocal range*, so they ended up with melodies that aren't a million miles away from each other.

*I mean the comfortable mid-range for a tenor voice. Moz is by far the better singer.

Am I alone in thinking that "What Kind Of People..." sounds reminiscent of "Sexuality" by Billy Bragg? I was absent mindedly humming the former this afternoon and found myself segueing seemlessly into the latter, like this:

What kind of people,
Live in these houses?
What kind of sad dad,
Scratches in this crash pad?

...And just because you’re gay,
I won’t turn you away,
if you stick around,
I’m sure that we can find some common ground.

I thought the exact same thing. It's 50% Billy Bragg, and 50% Courtney Barnett. But 100% Morrissey. Top song.

This discussion now has 100% more lyrics added to the OP.
Regards,
FWD.

I'm currently in possession of 3 of the released formats. If nothing appears in the next couple of hours, look to this thread for my own photos of the lyrics/sheets.
Hopefully better than what's been shared already.
Just running the gauntlet to get home.
Regards,
FWD.
Thanks for the pictures of the lyrics. Is it my ears that hears different words sung at the end of “What Kind Of People Live in These House”?

Do you think all the pictures of buildings being demolished are a reference to his first home & primary school being demolished?

That & them leaving a cat behind when they moved & never going back for it, seems to have caused some real childhood trauma.

This discussion now has 100% more lyrics added to the OP.
Regards,
FWD.

Interesting to note that Boz doesn't actually play on a couple of tracks (Knockabout World and Love Is On...), while he's listed TWICE for "Acc. guitars" on My Hurling Days... and Jesse has a similar double credit for electic guitars on Darling...!

Damn, wish you'd not mentioned that...I've not read it, so now I need to know, who was planning his downfall??

Who would be planning his downfall? Who would it benefit? (Apart from stalkers who hate him & hacks who want to write about downfalls).

Who would be planning his downfall? Who would it benefit? (Apart from stalkers who hate him & hacks who want to write about downfalls).

If true, my guess would be that Alain was saying that Morrissey himself was planning his own downfall. Self sabotage,etc.

Thanks for the pictures of the lyrics. Is it my ears that hears different words sung at the end of “What Kind Of People Live in These House”?

It's not only your ears. There's some other interesting changes as well. Could it be that the lyrics were printed before recording and that Morrissey made some improvised changes in the studio?
Like the last lines of Darling:
"Roll and then rage and then roar for one hour
for 55 million years hence you will lie down as powder"

Also a lot of small differences in the title track, and others as well.

It's not only your ears. There's some other interesting changes as well. Could it be that the lyrics were printed before recording and that Morrissey made some improvised changes in the studio?
Like the last lines of Darling:
"Roll and then rage and then roar for one hour
for 55 million years hence you will lie down as powder"

Also a lot of small differences in the title track, and others as well.
Indeed, same types of error on CS.
"I falled in love..."!?
Regards,
FWD.

But isn't that what he actually sings? It sounds like it to me.
Sorry, should have differentiated. There's typing errors on the sleeve like California Son.
Yes, that's what he's singing.
The falled in love? part was me questioning the grammar as 'fell' would be usual in common parlance.
Regards,
FWD.

Not sure if this is totally correct, or in the right place but this is what I'm hearing on Hurling Days.

My Hurling Days Are Done

Time, will mould you & craft you
But soon when you’re looking away it will slide up & shaft you
Oh time, oh time, no friend of mine
Mama, mama and teddy bear,
Were the first, full, firm, spectrum of time
Now my hurling days are done
And there’s no one to tell, and there’s nowhere to run

Time, all blossoming clover
But soon it will say, ok, come on son, bend over
Oh mama, mama and teddy bear,
But now my hurling days are done
And there’s no one to tell, and there’s nowhere to run

Time, places no pressure on you
But soon it explains what it means by the funky Alfonso
Oh mama, mama and teddy bear
Were the first, full, firm, spectrum of time (kids chorus)

And there is no one to tell, and there’s nowhere to run

Time, will send you an invoice
And you pay with your strength and your legs and your sight and your voice
Oh mama, mama and teddy bear
And there is no one to tell, and there’s nowhere to run

Lookin' pretty good.
Only mistake is that it should be "mama and Turkey Bear".

The text itself is a bit wonky. No scanner, so phone snaps. I can't see what happened to the zoom tool since upgrade, but if you save the image you want - it will be fully readable.
The partial bit of Dog On... is due to it not being super readable - so close up.
Any ambiguous lyric issues can now be solved.
Another Liam Lynch cover - no matrix message on the black or red vinyl.
No download code in the gate-fold CD/Red/Black vinyl LP.

We've sifted through the details of the 3 'instant grats' recently, but please feel free to mull over any potential inspirations and ideas behind the album's lyrics.

My own offering:
In My Hurling Days Are Done the only real reference out there in the world to '...but soon it explains what it means by the Funky Alfonso'
is the first 6 seconds of this:

Which would be pretty obscure for even Moz, but...
The link here is Joe Chiccarelli - who worked with Zappa (recording / mixing 7 albums).
So, maybe an in-joke - unless anyone has any other ideas?
Regards,
FWD.

This thing is a really fun record to listen to.
Now ya can see that with all the different instrumental explorations that they were havin' a fun time makin' it.
The whole record goes by pretty fast, which is what happens when ya havin' fun.
Took a long walk and listened to the whole thing through and had a heck of a time.
It's one of them memories that that can't take away from ya.

One wonders about the state of affairs with Boz. No co-writes, he doesn't appear on every song and his contributions on many songs seem incidental.

Interestingly, in Morrissey's abbreviations, the acoustic guitar picks up an extra c ("Acc Guitar").

One wonders about the state of affairs with Boz. No co-writes, he doesn't appear on every song and his contributions on many songs seem incidental.
Boz didn't get any writing credits on 'Ringleader' either. He's made of stern stuff, he won't be worried.

Back
Top Bottom