If John Lennon was still alive, what would he have thought of the Smiths and Moz?

robbbi

Just been thinking, what if John Lennon was still alive and he listened to tracks like "There is a light that never goes out" etc. I'm sure he smiled in heaven listening to that on his headphones. Morrissey's funny lyrics would also got the thumbs up. I think Lennon would liked The Smiths and Morrissey. Thoughts?

This is an incredibly wrong thing to say but I have never seen the "magic" behind Lennon or the Beatles. So his opinion wouldn't matter that much to me!

That said, I'm sure he would love Mozza!

This is an incredibly wrong thing to say but I have never seen the "magic" behind Lennon or the Beatles. So his opinion wouldn't matter that much to me!

That said, I'm sure he would love Mozza!

It's not wrong.

Just been thinking, what if John Lennon was still alive and he listened to tracks like "There is a light that never goes out" etc. I'm sure he smiled in heaven listening to that on his headphones. Morrissey's funny lyrics would also got the thumbs up. I think Lennon would liked The Smiths and Morrissey. Thoughts?

I confess I'm not much of a Lennon/Beatles fan, but from what I know he'd probably dismiss Morrissey as an ineffectual navel-gazer too self-obsessed to really help the world, maaaaan.

Although he might like the line about changing the world "by staying in bed".

I dunno, Lennon was full of surprises. My guess is he wouldn't have taken notice of Morrissey at all. He'd be too busy fundraising with Bono.

I think he would be oblivious to them. How many of those rockers from the 60s ever seem to be aware of Morrissey?

I think he would be oblivious to them. How many of those rockers from the 60s ever seem to be aware of Morrissey?

How many of those rockers from the 60s ever seem to be aware of last Tuesday? :)

It's not wrong.

Try telling most of Liverpool that! I got slaughtered by a group of Liverpudlians (no not literally but metaphorically) for saying I didn't like Beatles! And from what I gather I would get that reaction in most areas of Liverpool!

I think in ans. a question like that you 've got to remember that when the Smiths went to the USA for the first time they played a grimey little club and when the Beatles went to the USA for the first time they changed the world and became the most iconic musical act of the 20th Century!!!
The smiths/Moz would have registerd on lennons radar, like most things but he was accustomed to a life immensley more significant than Mozzers, so it wouldn't have affected him much!!

Well, Paul McCartney isn't too keen, if that's anything to go by. :straightface:

Well, Paul McCartney isn't too keen, if that's anything to go by. :straightface:

Macca talked about the smiths when he did an interview with p. docherty in the observer monthly mag. He only said somthing about Moz writing to Linda, and i saw earlier today that Moz on a y/t clip was given the P.E.T.A Linda Macca award and said he was her pen pal.

Purists correct me, but Lennon wouldn't have believed one life was more significant than another, right?

I'm just saying, in terms of 'bigness' the heights of fame, acclaim and fortune and impact and influence that the Smiths had was miniscule, and i use that word advisedly, compared to the Beatles!

Lennon's lyrics told the truth. I happen to think he'd have been an admirer of Morrissey's lyrical style.

Silly question by the way... but I like it! :guitar:

I'm just saying, in terms of 'bigness' the heights of fame, acclaim and fortune and impact and influence that the Smiths had was miniscule, and i use that word advisedly, compared to the Beatles!

True.

But without wishing to insult The Beatles, who were great in their time, whenever I hear the argument you make I always think back to Malcolm Williamson's quote about Andrew Lloyd Webber: "His music is everywhere but, then, so is AIDS". :rolleyes:

True.

But without wishing to insult The Beatles, who were great in their time, whenever I hear the argument you make I always think back to Malcolm Williamson's quote about Andrew Lloyd Webber: "His music is everywhere but, then, so is AIDS". :rolleyes:

That's unforgivable....HOW COULD YOU?

Try telling most of Liverpool that! I got slaughtered by a group of Liverpudlians (no not literally but metaphorically) for saying I didn't like Beatles! And from what I gather I would get that reaction in most areas of Liverpool!

I remember one morning in 1980 getting on a coach to travel a few miles to Manchester Museum with the rest of my class. The teacher got on board and told us all to be quiet and then asked us all to pray (Catholic School) for John Lennon who had just been killed. Everyone said "Who?". All us little 10 and 11 year old Mancs didn't have a clue who he was and certainly couldn't care less that he was dead.

Thats Manchester!

Back
Top Bottom