If Morrisseys songs were released by other bands...

Please

Or anon would they do any better in the charts.

I think that most of the album tracks he has made if released by a variety of bands would have charted in a very successful way.

One thing that holds Morrissey back in terms of chart success, is that there seems to be certain barriers to liking Morrissey

You ever like his voice or you don't - it seems

you ever like him and what he stands for or you do not

I suppose this is what happens when you have values and beliefs, in the end they isolate you, where as the generic pop group or faux indie band are much more accessible to the general public.

Your thoughts?

i think that some of them would have charted higher such as first of the gang to die but for me, they would loose their appeal. The songs are what they are to us because of morrissey so who cares if they dont chart very well?

Or anon would they do any better in the charts.

I think that most of the album tracks he has made if released by a variety of bands would have charted in a very successful way.

One thing that holds Morrissey back in terms of chart success, is that there seems to be certain barriers to liking Morrissey

You ever like his voice or you don't - it seems

you ever like him and what he stands for or you do not

I suppose this is what happens when you have values and beliefs, in the end they isolate you, where as the generic pop group or faux indie band are much more accessible to the general public.

Your thoughts?

Such an experiment has just taken place! ‘Stop Me’ by Daniel Merryweather. It had a higher chart placing than any Moz/Smith song (2) and survived in the top 10 for weeks. It also became the biggest airplay hit of any Moz/Smith composition also reaching number 2 (no Smiths or Moz songs have reached top 10 in airplay chart).
It was a huge success. Yes, the sound of Morrissey’s voice does put off a lot of radio stations but we have to accept that many of his singles are third rate. Just check out the current poll. With the exception of First of the Gang, none comes anywhere near the quality of the early solo stuff…

This doesn't have much to do with the topic, but I wish Johnny Cash lived long enough to record a Morrissey/Smiths song. I think almost any song from the catalog would have worked for Cash.

I think whether you get airplay these days depends on whether you fit the target market rather than quality of the music. So a new generic indie band will always get airplay before Morrissey because they are new. Being new is prized above everything as far as I can see. I mean can anyone honestly argue that any of Razorlights or The Feeling's singles are better than Morrissey's?

The Ronson experiment is invalid. You have to take into consideration the Nostalgia Effect. The new version of Stop Me was new, but Not New at the same time. It's impossible to say how it would have done if it was an extremely obscure Bside that most people had never heard before.

The Ronson experiment is invalid. You have to take into consideration the Nostalgia Effect. The new version of Stop Me was new, but Not New at the same time. It's impossible to say how it would have done if it was an extremely obscure Bside that most people had never heard before.

I am thinking more along the lines of if bands released a song that people never knew was a smiths song.

For example 'Get off the Stage' i'm sure would do fantastic if released by some little ditsy pop group, because people would judge it on face value, and not as being a 'depressing, moaning, oh my goodness not that awful man morrissey' record

Back
Top Bottom