If Smiths don't reform, and there is no Moz & Marr side project, will Moz sign with a minor label ?

If Smiths don't reform, and there is no Moz & Marr side project, will Moz sign with a minor labe

• Total voters

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
59tsup.jpg

Re: If Smiths don't reform, and there is no Moz & Marr side project, will Moz sign with a minor labe

We've been here so many times before, B Ghoul, and Morrissey has been asked the question himself countless time too. Yes, it makes practical sense, and Morrissey doesn't need the money of a big label. But he feels he has the status of a big name artist. This is a misperception on his part. Although, the cultural world/media remain fascinated by him, most people simply aren't interested him as a modern day singer/recording artist hence the risible sales of World Peace.

Re: If Smiths don't reform, and there is no Moz & Marr side project, will Moz sign with a minor labe

Good poll, BG.

I was thinking about this today. I would like to think he’s already received some offers since the other day, but I don’t know.

There’s so many great independent labels who would be a perfect fit for him AND push him the way he deserves. Time will tell.

I went with "only if the label has a track record of putting artists high in the charts," but what the hell do I know? Based on history my answer should be no, but I'm willing to do a little wishful thinking.

I went with "only if the label has a track record of putting artists high in the charts," but what the hell do I know? Based on history my answer should be no, but I'm willing to do a little wishful thinking.

I was trying to think of an indie label I could see him “fitting” on today. It’s a tough call.

I was thinking about a label like Merge for instance. They are great w/ their artists and a band like Arcade Fire or Spoon got HUGE while being on there and their albums are everywhere.

Good poll, BG.

I was thinking about this today. I would like to think he’s already received some offers since the other day, but I don’t know.

There’s so many great independent labels who would be a perfect fit for him AND push him the way he deserves. Time will tell.

The question isn't whether he'll get any offers, but rather whether he'll accept any.

The reason he was without a label for five years was, by his own admission, because he was uninterested in signing with indie labels/taking the self-release route and dissatisfied with the offers he was getting from major labels. If recall correctly, his primary complaint was that too many of the majors wanted a level of control over his output that he wasn't comfortable with. Unfortunately, his stubborn refusal to adapt to the ever-changing industry coupled with his apparent blindness to the reality of what a contract with a major label typically entails these days makes it increasingly difficult for him to find a platform to release his music.

Last edited:

He has previously said that he would rather not release any new albums than go on the self-release or minor label situation, and just have live songs end up as badly filmed live youtube videos.

Personally, I think he needs to dial that inflated opinion back a little, and take whatever is the best deal he can get. In this day and age, even with all the push in the world, I'm not sure he is going to be able to score a monster mainstream hit album.

So Morrissey is going to have to change his opinion, which - history shows - he is VERY unlikely to do.

The stubburn bastard's mindset is stuck somewhere in the 70's, and I think it's too late for him to wake up to reality of making music in 2014.

It's a shame as, unless he starts to accept reality - we all lose.

The question isn't whether he'll get any offers, but rather whether he'll accept any.

The reason he was without a label for five years was, by his own admission, because he was uninterested in signing with indie labels/taking the self-release route and dissatisfied with the offers he was getting from major labels. If recall correctly, his primary complaint was that too many of the majors wanted a level of control over his output that he wasn't comfortable with. Unfortunately, his stubborn refusal to adapt to the ever-changing industry coupled with his apparent blindness to the reality of what a contract with a major label typically entails these days makes it increasingly difficult for him to find a platform to release his music.

Oh, I know I was just meaning like....I wouldn’t be surprised if he got offered already, but that doesn’t mean he’d accept.

Oh, I know I was just meaning like....I wouldn’t be surprised if he got offered already, but that doesn’t mean he’d accept.
In that case, I agree. And I also think he'd fit well on a label like Merge, or Anti, or 4AD. I just wish he were willing to take that plunge.

Last edited:

In that case, I agree. And I also think he'd fit well on a label like Merge, or Anti, or 4AD. I just wish he were willing to take that plunge.

Me too. I think you're right, though—he doesn't seem to understand the downfalls of someone like him being with a major label in 2014, and also appears to be blind to the potential value of being on a minor label. With the right minor, he'd wind up with total creative control, quality packaging, thoughtful promotion, and so on. He's clinging to an ideal that hasn't existed for well over a decade (two decades?) now.

Me too. I think you're right, though—he doesn't seem to understand the downfalls of someone like him being with a major label in 2014, and also appears to be blind to the potential value of being on a minor label. With the right minor, he'd wind up with total creative control, quality packaging, thoughtful promotion, and so on. He's clinging to an ideal that hasn't existed for well over a decade (two decades?) now.

Exactly. It really is a shame. I mean, I saw Arcade Fire a few months ago playing inside of a giant hockey arena here in Philadelphia and they’re on an independent label. I’ve seen their CD at Target, Best Buy, indie stores....basically everywhere.

Although the cultural world/media remain fascinated by him, most people simply aren't interested him as a modern day singer/recording artist hence the risible sales of World Peace.

Eloquently stated. Now, if he ever wants to work again, because making music is the only thing Moz knows, he needs to start thinking outside this big label corporate box. So, there's no better time than now for this discussion, because the man is labelless.

What was the reason The Smiths signed with an indie label?

He has an overinflated sense of self. He isn't mainstream, he's an indie artist. The general public may know his name because of all the controversy he's stirred up over the past few hears, but most cannot name a song. He simply isn't major label material and hasn't been in a very long time.

What do you mean "if the Smiths don't reform?"

Why is that a question again? I don't think Morrissey could be clearer on the subject: it will never happen.

Lucas

The Smiths are dead. Moz does not need Marr and Marr does not need Moz. They were already in a group called The Smiths in the 80s and they released some beautiful music. That cake has been baked, sliced, shared, wished over and savoured.

Last edited:

The Smiths are dead. Moz does not need Marr and Marr does not need Moz.

Marr doesn't need Morrissey. However, Moz is up shite creek! Crikey!

Marr doesn't need Morrissey. However, Moz is up shite creek! Crikey!

We obviously have different perspectives on shit creek.

We obviously have different perspectives on shit creek.

No record deal mate. Shite creek.

Back
Top Bottom