If Smiths don't reform, and there is no Moz & Marr side project, will Moz sign with a minor label ?

If Smiths don't reform, and there is no Moz & Marr side project, will Moz sign with a minor labe

• Total voters
Re: If Smiths don't reform, and there is no Moz & Marr side project, will Moz sign with a minor labe

No record deal mate. Shite creek.

Newsfalsh! Morrissey has had no record deal 3 or 4 times since 1998. Work it out.

Re: If Smiths don't reform, and there is no Moz & Marr side project, will Moz sign with a minor labe

Got an email from my friend, Alexi. No hidden "sources" - no B.S. Alexi was a music journalist, then a roadie for more bands than most of us will ever see, then a manager for small bands, doing everything from driving the bus, to booking the venues, etc. He still manages smaller bands, bands that often open for headliners. He is also a photo journalist...he just interviewed and took pics of Saoirse Ronan. Alexi is also longtime pals with that mainstream fool Ryan Adams. Ryan is a Smiths/Moz nut...like certifiable. Ryan is also not a complete idiot and Ryan has a manager and an agent but he basically does what he wants within reason. I've been getting little droppings about Ryan for years like pigeon turds. Funny thing is, Alexi is a Moz fan and doesn't like Ryan's music and Ryan doesn't care. So anyway, Ryan would like Moz to sign with a smaller label Ryan is affiliated with basically because he is a fan. I don't know what that label's distribution avenues are bricks & mortar. Digitally (duh!) they are everywhere.

Newsfalsh! Morrissey has had no record deal 3 or 4 times since 1998. Work it out.

4 albums in 16 years. There it's worked out. Next album due out in 2018

There's bound to be a sizeable gap in time, isn't there? Morrissey isn't Mark E Smith, unfortunately: lose one label, put out another great album two months later.
Though I was surprised by how quick everything started happening this year for Moz.
I would love it so much if Morrissey just went "f*** Harvest!" signed to another in the next few weeks and put out another album before the end of the year. How amazing would that be???

The Smiths are dead. Moz does not need Marr and Marr does not need Moz.

You are quite wrong there. Arguably, they need each other more than ever. They are struggling on the margins of pop. Marr having to advertise guitars/clothing and all manner of rubbish to stay afloat, and effectively release stuff independently, Morrissey spending years without a deal, getting one and it all falling apart in weeks following his worst album sales since Maladjusted.
Together as Morrissey and Marr (not as Smiths) the tables would be turned dramatically within an instant. They'd have the music industry eating out of their hands, and would be able to call all the shots.
No more humiliation, no more desperation. To say they don't need each other is just absolute bollocks.

You are quite wrong there. Arguably, they need each other more than ever. They are struggling on the margins of pop. Marr having to advertise guitars/clothing and all manner of rubbish to stay afloat, and effectively release stuff independently, Morrissey spending years without a deal, getting one and it all falling apart in weeks following his worst album sales since Maladjusted.
Together as Morrissey and Marr (not as Smiths) the tables would be turned dramatically within an instant. They'd have the music industry eating out of their hands, and would be able to call all the shots.
No more humiliation, no more desperation. To say they don't need each other is just absolute bollocks.

All of that is only true if you think either of them is concerned about being popular, but it's possible that they're both more bothered about creating good work.
It is far from a certainty that if they both got back together in whatever form that what they produce will be any good... and if it's shit then they'll have f***ed up the one truly incredible thing they ever did: their songwriting partnership... and neither of them ever needs that.

No I am quite right. History only needs to repeat for you and others like you. Morrissey and Marr have moved on you see. Both of them have conquered enough of the world in their time since the split. Art doesn't need to be able to call the shots as you put it.

I can see how you would think I'm wrong on this if you see the world in such simplistic terms as you do. If you knew something about art and expression you'd realise there is no ladder to climb. It's about affecting people's lives and their minds and Morrissey has been doing that for quite some time without Marr.

Why am I wasting my time with anonymous anyway?

Last edited:

Hit me baby - one more time.

No I am quite right. History only needs to repeat for you and others like you. Morrissey and Marr have moved on you see. Both of them have conquered enough of the world in their time since the split. Art doesn't need to be able to call the shots as you put it.

I can see how you would think I'm wrong on this if you see the world in such simplistic terms as you do. If you knew something about art and expression you'd realise there is no ladder to climb. It's about affecting people's lives and their minds and Morrissey has been doing that for quite some time without Marr.

well i dont think he will have trouble finding a deal, even with a major, but what that deal pertains i dont know. i imagine that whatever contract he signs this time around will be very strict and spell out exactly what needs to be done on his, morrisseys, side.

Thumbs up! Amen, my friend.

well i dont think he will have trouble finding a deal, even with a major, but what that deal pertains i dont know. i imagine that whatever contract he signs this time around will be very strict and spell out exactly what needs to be done on his, morrisseys, side.

I take issue with this.

1)You don't think he will have trouble finding one with a major when he has already been on every major label and burned every bridge? This has been documented in hundreds of news links.
2) The Harvest contract that he probably breached (yes I said that) also must have spelled out what needed to be done. What needs to be done what Moz actually does are totally different things!

The record industry is full of dickheads.
It is to Morrissey's credit that he pisses them all off at some stage.
He'll find a new label for the simple reason that he makes music that people want to hear and that means considerable profit.
Keep kicking the pricks, Moz!!!

x

Great. Let Ryan know The Smiths are not reforming.

Got an email from my friend, Alexi. No hidden "sources" - no B.S. Alexi was a music journalist, then a roadie for more bands than most of us will ever see, then a manager for small bands, doing everything from driving the bus, to booking the venues, etc. He still manages smaller bands, bands that often open for headliners. He is also a photo journalist...he just interviewed and took pics of Saoirse Ronan. Alexi is also longtime pals with that mainstream fool Ryan Adams. Ryan is a Smiths/Moz nut...like certifiable. Ryan is also not a complete idiot and Ryan has a manager and an agent but he basically does what he wants within reason. I've been getting little droppings about Ryan for years like pigeon turds. Funny thing is, Alexi is a Moz fan and doesn't like Ryan's music and Ryan doesn't care. So anyway, Ryan would like Moz to sign with a smaller label Ryan is affiliated with basically because he is a fan. I don't know what that label's distribution avenues are bricks & mortar. Digitally (duh!) they are everywhere.

How I miss those carefree days when Morrissey was signed to EMI, and would release an album every other year with no great fuss or drama. Ever since he left after 'Vauxhall' it's been a bloody rollercoaster.

The record industry is full of dickheads.
It is to Morrissey's credit that he pisses them all off at some stage.
He'll find a new label for the simple reason that he makes music that people want to hear and that means considerable profit.
Keep kicking the pricks, Moz!!!

x

all of this.

I take issue with this.

1)You don't think he will have trouble finding one with a major when he has already been on every major label and burned every bridge? This has been documented in hundreds of news links.
2) The Harvest contract that he probably breached (yes I said that) also must have spelled out what needed to be done. What needs to be done what Moz actually does are totally different things!

And so too are truth and speculation.

Dear lord, you really are a spectacular dimwit. Marr has moved on so far that, in the last 5 years, he has filled his set-list with more Smiths songs than at any time since the Smiths split.
He has moved on so far that he even asked Morrissey to reform the Smiths.
Morrissey is an artist, and wants to write and release new material but in the last 5 years he has been unable to do so. The minute he and Marr re-collaborate, he will be able to fulfill his artist's dream of being able to create and release songs whenever he wants, not whenever the music industry wants. Artistic freedom would be his.
You can't affect people's lives and minds with your music if no-one is prepared to release your songs, f***wit.

Dear lord, you really are a spectacular dimwit. Marr has moved on so far that, in the last 5 years, he has filled his set-list with more Smiths songs than at any time since the Smiths split.
He has moved on so far that he even asked Morrissey to reform the Smiths.
Morrissey is an artist, and wants to write and release new material but in the last 5 years he has been unable to do so. The minute he and Marr re-collaborate, he will be able to fulfill his artist's dream of being able to create and release songs whenever he wants, not whenever the music industry wants. Artistic freedom would be his.
You can't affect people's lives and minds with your music if no-one is prepared to release your songs, f***wit.

Such a classy anonymous reply.

I can't really dumb it down any further. If you seriously think Morrissey or Marr want to reform the Smiths I really have no words left for you. I can't even communicate on that level of ignorance. I've already wasted enough breath on someone who can't be bothered logging in to represent his/her point of view, asinine as it is. Sign up fool so I can at least put a handle to your drivel.

I take issue with this.

well i dont have any real knowledge of what does or has gone on, im no expert. i guess i was just guessing that his next contract will be even stricter than the last but that he will get one.

Back
Top Bottom