If Trump had won, would BMG have dropped Morrissey?

If Trump had won, would BMG have dropped Morrissey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On a similar point. Do people in Estonia call Americans big fat pigs?

No, his tone isn't like that.

Morrissey didn't call them a subspecies, he was expressing incredulity at how cruel their treatment of animals is. Which it is. Sentiment is bourgeois. It was Ideological.

Trump does it persistently to rile their government as a leadership strategy. The same way other leaders call America Great Satan or Americans fat & stupid.
Except he did. He also expressed the wish that China be bombed. As @Worm put it
"Could it be that maybe everyone read the comment and took it as (a) an exaggeration, per Morrissey's usual mode of speech and (b) recognized that Morrissey's dislike of China was founded solely and entirely on the fact that someone told him skinning cats and dogs was a national industry, and not racism?"

Recognizing that it's hyperbole is different than denying he said it though. In the case of the "subspecies" comment he used a word that may have been purposely chosen to gain attention and that he knew would be offensive. It's literally racist language and a little harder to dismiss than the "come, come, nuclear bomb" part of this quote.
"I would go to wherever there seemed to be interest - except China, which is too barbaric. In China, as we all now know, cats and dogs are skinned alive for the fur industry. Come, come, nuclear bomb."

So you can say he's not a racist, that he said it for a specific purpose, but getting into the "one can't help but feel" part is very weak. If someone says "one can't help but feel" before they insult you did they not just insult you? Were they really dealing with their feelings and their inability to reconcile them with their beliefs? It's a little more subtle than "Chinese are a subspecies" minus the cushion but he literally said those words in that order and later when given a chance to explain he doubled down on it.
I believe you've also said that he was emotional at the time or not quite in control of his words he happened to choose a very specific term that he hasn't said publicly before or since. It's an insult to say he didn't know what he was doing.

On a similar point. Do people in Estonia call Americans big fat pigs?
I've never been to Estonia but it's a very common insult/stereotype about Americans, no?

Moz was asked why he chose Estonia in a TTY Q&A once:

"I imagined the sexy and sharp people of Estonia - which is not considered to be a world leader in anything, as far as I know - looking at the Burger King fast-food hell of the modern American food industry, and actually feeling sorry for Americans. America is frightening when it comes to food."

He also said he had stopped caring about nuances and subtlety when writing that song (and presumably all of Quarry if the lyrics are any indication).

I've never been to Estonia but it's a very common insult/stereotype about Americans, no?

Moz was asked why he chose Estonia in a TTY Q&A once:

"I imagined the sexy and sharp people of Estonia - which is not considered to be a world leader in anything, as far as I know - looking at the Burger King fast-food hell of the modern American food industry, and actually feeling sorry for Americans. America is frightening when it comes to food."

He also said he had stopped caring about nuances and subtlety when writing that song (and presumably all of Quarry if the lyrics are any indication).

I wish he'd go back to writing his poems & then trying to fit them into tracks. It was a good process.

I wish he'd go back to writing his poems & then trying to fit them into tracks. It was a good process.
What makes you think his process has changed?
It hasn't. If anything, the "poems" have changed.

I think Mountjoy and Smiler With Knife are among the best "poems" he's written, and I really like a lot of his more recent lyrical output as well. Home Is A Question Mark, Once I Saw The River Clean, What Kind Of People Live In These Houses...

What makes you think his process has changed?
It hasn't. If anything, the "poems" have changed.

I think Mountjoy and Smiler With Knife are among the best "poems" he's written, and I really like a lot of his more recent lyrical output as well. Home Is A Question Mark, Once I Saw The River Clean, What Kind Of People Live In These Houses...

I thought I read he gets the music first & then works on the lyrics these days? Maybe not. I just saw it in passing.

I thought I read he gets the music first & then works on the lyrics these days? Maybe not. I just saw it in passing.
That's the way it's always been. With every co-songwriter he's worked with. Marr, Street, Nevin, Whyte etc would always drop him a tape and he'd come back with the finished lyrics and vocal melody, but he constantly keeps notes of pieces of lyrics, apparently.
Someone like him doesn't just change his modus operandi.

Back
Top Bottom