if you could change ONE thing about morrissey..........

You should read Worm, Jones and Danny's posts who are very good at expressing their thoughts which you can trace from their user accounts.

I wonder if their good expressing their thoughts in Dutch, Kewpie

that's me main problem, I know what I wanna say but me english voculabury
is very poor [not more than 1000 words]...but theres nothing wrong with
me philosophing about certain issues, and my lifetime expierence in the
gutter/real world... just have problems to express them

1 more thing, I've 10 till 20 people seen calling yer name in posts, about that annoying behaviour of you, posting URL in posts to stop them because
they've already been discussed, I never saw you warning those people
calling your name, so go ahead with yer friendly club, but stop harassing
me about every time I do something others do as well, and you say nothing,
i call that hypocrite, same about yer kicks about me writing skills, I know
my mistakes and poor writing skills

ah what the hell, I told ya 10 times already, it has no sense, a month ago
same with nugz when your moving threads because they were in yer
anniversary posts thread, in which you wrote you didn't like it

look in the Dutch dictionary, there's a name for people like you
[ weerhaantje ], I spare you the time, it's about people who have no own
opinion and change their believes or what they wrote change into another
direction, just like the wind [weerhaantje] [it are those things on top of
the church or a building you can see what way the wind comes]

well enough, I might get banned or whatever for this, but at least I write
honoust and direct, and I will not change and I will not be nice [when I
get fooled around]

SEND

If you changed one thing, he wouldn't be Morrissey.....

For example, if he had not been born with a tiny reproductive organ.....his torment, depression and lonliness would have been so much less....and it's not likely he would have written all what he has. So much of his music is about this one trauma.

How is it obvious? When was the baby sent back to Malawi, can you tell me? He never liked Madonna, he finds any excuse to have a go at her, and that's what I find rather pathetic. It just annoys me the way he smirks to himself after he blurts out one of these bizarre comments, as if to say "Oh, I'm so brave and heroic for insulting Madonna......and they all agree with me!!". Well OF COURSE they would, you coward!

And as for chasing causes (or using them, rather):

Stating one the reasons why his single "The Youngest Was the Most Loved" should have done very well in the charts:

"enormous tabloid coverage of my animal rights comments"

On dropping your ethics for shoes:
"I find shoes difficult to be ethical about - one just can't seem to avoid leather. One is trapped, ultimately."

It just seems like, most of the time, he hasn't a damn clue what he's talking about, I mean anyone that came out with this (about the Queen):

"I think she's the only remotely acceptable member of the royal family, and I think that if this country has to have a royal family, then it should have her and nobody else"

I'd love to know how that would work........

of course you are right, but this post only states that he´s a human being rather than some perfect being. i think the flaws he has can easily be overlooked. there are some things i don´t agree with that he says, so i just prefer to pick and choose those that i like and in the end always go back to the music.
i sometimes skip tracks on his albums, but that doesn´t mean i´d want those songs off the album, because i´ve discovered from reading this forum that there are others that love them..
so, no, i don´t think i would want to change anything.

Not the Madonna thing again. He made a remark that was borderline racist, and about something that is none of his business to comment on at all.

If he wants to be mad at Madonna for wearing fur that's great. Don't talk about people's "African child". That's very poor taste at best.

No I don't think he meant it the way it sounded but it was a terrible thing to say. Talking about skinning a child? This is supposed to be stage banter?
I don't know what more she would have to do to prove to anyone that she is committed than to raise a child and make this issue a part of her life. However, as much as anyone might dislike her music or her public persona, she doesn't owe it to anyone to explain or prove why she does anything.

On the other hand, I like Morrissey's political commentary. Who else says that we should nuke China. It's refreshing.

Who else endorses a presidential candidate because they have a nice voice?

I think most of his views are basically there to entertain, through being "outrageous"

The Madonna comment was way out of line. I remember thinking at the time, "If only people like all of us didn't record every. word. out of the man's mouth at every gig on the internet within 10 minutes of him saying it, the press would never get ahold of stuff like this and then go ask Madonna's people to comment. . . and bizarre stuff like this would remain in the ether rather than saved for posterity."

Ill-conceived, unnecessarily mean comment (that obfuscates rather than illuminates his point!) brought to the attention of people outside that one particular concert by folks like us. Something to think about.

--jeniphir

Not the Madonna thing again. He made a remark that was borderline racist, and about something that is none of his business to comment on at all.

If he wants to be mad at Madonna for wearing fur that's great. Don't talk about people's "African child". That's very poor taste at best.

No I don't think he meant it the way it sounded but it was a terrible thing to say. Talking about skinning a child? This is supposed to be stage banter?
I don't know what more she would have to do to prove to anyone that she is committed than to raise a child and make this issue a part of her life. However, as much as anyone might dislike her music or her public persona, she doesn't owe it to anyone to explain or prove why she does anything.

On the other hand, I like Morrissey's political commentary. Who else says that we should nuke China. It's refreshing.

Who else endorses a presidential candidate because they have a nice voice?

I think most of his views are basically there to entertain, through being "outrageous"

There was nothing racist about his comment. To try and make something of the colour of the child's skin as if that somehow makes it a racist comment is pretty low. He wasn't saying Madonna SHOULD make the child into a coat.

If you understand where Morrissey is coming from it was a perfectly logical point. Madonna wore a coat made from 100 animals. To Morrissey this is on a par with skinning a child and making it into a coat. He believes both are as morally wrong as each other. He also believes she picks up good causes the way she wears the latest fashion, and adopting a poor boy from an African country is just a symptom of this.

Myself, I don't agree with him on killing animals and children being equivalent, but I understand that with his views it makes logical sense. There is nothing inconsistent or badly thought out about it.

And there is nothing weird about that comment on the Queen either. Most people in Britain would completely agree with him. There are too many royal hangers on having an easy life just because they were born into her family.

There was nothing racist about his comment. To try and make something of the colour of the child's skin as if that somehow makes it a racist comment is pretty low. He wasn't saying Madonna SHOULD make the child into a coat.

If you understand where Morrissey is coming from it was a perfectly logical point. Madonna wore a coat made from 100 animals. To Morrissey this is on a par with skinning a child and making it into a coat. He believes both are as morally wrong as each other. He also believes she picks up good causes the way she wears the latest fashion, and adopting a poor boy from an African country is just a symptom of this.

Myself, I don't agree with him on killing animals and children being equivalent, but I understand that with his views it makes logical sense. There is nothing inconsistent or badly thought out about it.

And there is nothing weird about that comment on the Queen either. Most people in Britain would completely agree with him. There are too many royal hangers on having an easy life just because they were born into her family.

You interpret Morrissey's comments exactly as I do. It never ceases to amaze me how political correctness has gone so far as to undermine the power to speak without censure. I mean how does pointing out that one of Madonna's children is African, in order to distinguish him from her other two children, who aren't, make this comment in the least bit racist. It reminds me of a story I was told by a friend who, when beginning her social work placement was informed that she couldn't say 'black bin bag', it had to be called a 'refuse sack' as the former name was 'racist'. It goes beyond ludicrous. Indeed, a society which watches it's speech so closely for fear of causing offense is one in which prejudice is palpable; we are human, we are animals, therefore we notice the difference between members of our own species for purposes of social interaction. We notice the difference between, black, white or brown skin, we notice the difference in accents, we notice the difference between able bodied and disabled. It is when we turn these differences into issues, either in making a fuss about them, or pretending that we don't notice them, that we become prejudiced. As Morrissey once said himself: "Why on earth would I be racist, what would I be trying to achieve?"
What Morrissey has consistently pointed out throughout his career is hypocrisy. These celebrities aiming to create 'rainbow' families through some sense of 'duty' to other countries should rankle somewhat with ordinary people. I mean, you have to question their motives; do they really believe this will help the plight of the most desperately poor people on the planet? It's wonderful for the little boy or girl who is chosen (or maybe not when it comes to them establishing an identity later in life, when the biological children of celebrities suffer enough problems, what's going to happen to the adopted ones?) but what about the millions of others who are denied the chance of untold wealth and the glare of the spotlight. You can argue all you want for the kind-hearted celeb who goes gives time as an aid worker, or throws money at the problem, but where is their consitency on the subject? Do they, like Morrissey, put their views across in their work, speak out when they view something as morally wrong, or do they stay silent for the fear that their support might 'smear their lovely career'?
Morrissey's objection to Madonna's adoption is not just mixed up with her disregard for animal rights, but her treatment of her child as an accessory. She probably doesn't do it intentionally, but she craves the spotlight, and this business put her firmly back in it. Also, she's made sure that her adopted child will never be free of it, and never be free of her legacy, or her career. What child wants to be haunted by their parents for the rest of their life, and watched for signs of rebellion, or damage, or the dreaded 'following in their footsteps'?

As for the royal family, there are whole essays on that subject, but Morrissey has been anti royal since before he joined The Smiths, why should any anti royal comments come as a surprise now? He did once mention that "the Queen was very nice" in response to his complaint about the legal system, but that's just one more example of the contradictory man we know and (supposedly) love. He can hate the icon and what they stand for, but be kind about the person underneath.

yeah...
i was walking on 56th (or 65th? Whichever goes through Central Park!) and at a red light, I saw Morrissey in the back of a limousine just a few feet away from me. I stopped and stared in disbelief. It was crazy.

WHAT? and you did not jump about like a madwoman to get his attention?
:( silly silly thing. :rolleyes:

I said that I did not think it was racist, but that it sounded that way. Why is the African child mentioned? If children are equivalent to animals in his logic, then the African child must be equivalent to Madonna's other two children?

Here's the thing. With the history of African people being brought to America as slaves, any comment that distinguishes the African child from her American or British (Venezuelan?) children sounds like racism. Although I don't believe Africans were skinned they were treated as property. It's Nazis and serial killers that skin people to make them into lampshades and things, another pleasant association he touched upon.

No, I don't think he is a Nazi or a serial killer either. (He was always quiet though, and kept to himself...)

The point? Don't talk about people's children. It's not smart or logical. It's none of his business and the fact that he has hated Madonna since the 80's and would talk about her children as if he can see why she would adopt one doesn't make me applaud him. We talked about this before. Madonna had just headlined that worldwide concert, name forgotten now, and was in the media more than usual. Morrissey had just met with PETA, who I support, but who do have a groupie fixation with celebrities.

Madonna wears fur. Madonna was in the news. How can PETA capitalize on that? That's what I think happened. I don't think it was some stupid spontaneous thing he said. I think it was a planned stupid thing to say.

Hate Madonna. Don't talk about her kids.

I would make him happier, able to love and be loved... I'd change him so he could fully enjoy his life.

If that means not having his music anymore... whatever. I love him enough that I wish him joy.

How Pollyanna is that for ya?

I would make him happier, able to love and be loved... I'd change him so he could fully enjoy his life.

If that means not having his music anymore... whatever. I love him enough that I wish him joy.

Hear, hear!
I wrote something similar on an earlier page in this thread, and while it may sound very goody, goody, I truly wish him a rich full life in all ways possible.

Hello Scarlet, nice to see you here! :)

I said that I did not think it was racist, but that it sounded that way. Why is the African child mentioned? If children are equivalent to animals in his logic, then the African child must be equivalent to Madonna's other two children?

Here's the thing. With the history of African people being brought to America as slaves, any comment that distinguishes the African child from her American or British (Venezuelan?) children sounds like racism. Although I don't believe Africans were skinned they were treated as property. It's Nazis and serial killers that skin people to make them into lampshades and things, another pleasant association he touched upon.

No, I don't think he is a Nazi or a serial killer either. (He was always quiet though, and kept to himself...)

The point? Don't talk about people's children. It's not smart or logical. It's none of his business and the fact that he has hated Madonna since the 80's and would talk about her children as if he can see why she would adopt one doesn't make me applaud him. We talked about this before. Madonna had just headlined that worldwide concert, name forgotten now, and was in the media more than usual. Morrissey had just met with PETA, who I support, but who do have a groupie fixation with celebrities.

Madonna wears fur. Madonna was in the news. How can PETA capitalize on that? That's what I think happened. I don't think it was some stupid spontaneous thing he said. I think it was a planned stupid thing to say.

Hate Madonna. Don't talk about her kids.

You've obviously missed the point he was trying to make. The African child was mentioned because he was making a point about her picking the child as an accessory, rather treating him like a real human being. In the same way as she treats all the other causes she picks up. The point would not have been made if he'd talked about one of her real children.

You've obviously missed the point he was trying to make. The African child was mentioned because he was making a point about her picking the child as an accessory, rather treating him like a real human being. In the same way as she treats all the other causes she picks up. The point would not have been made if he'd talked about one of her real children.

Actually, I thought the point he was trying to make was not to do with the children, really, but to do with her wearing fur. That she is so heartless she would skin a living being to make a coat (be it child or animal, which Morrissey thinks to be equivalent).

At any rate, it was not a good way to make a point about Madonna wearing fur, or adopting children, or any other thing. I find it distasteful, but I would forgive it somewhat if it was even a valid way to make an argument. But I don't think it was.

--jeniphir

I forgot. I tend to forgive Moz everything, but... this "romance of crime" thing... Those of us who've lost someone to a crime don't feel too romantic about it.

Actually, I thought the point he was trying to make was not to do with the children, really, but to do with her wearing fur. That she is so heartless she would skin a living being to make a coat (be it child or animal, which Morrissey thinks to be equivalent).

At any rate, it was not a good way to make a point about Madonna wearing fur, or adopting children, or any other thing. I find it distasteful, but I would forgive it somewhat if it was even a valid way to make an argument. But I don't think it was.

--jeniphir

He was making a point about both, because her adopting poor kids from African and making expensive coats out of animals come from the same attitude. That animals and humans are there to be used for Madonna's image.

I forgot. I tend to forgive Moz everything, but... this "romance of crime" thing... Those of us who've lost someone to a crime don't feel too romantic about it.

Well you're in a minority because "the romance of crime" pervades our whole culture. For example, most of the popular films and tv are all about romanticising crime. A lot of people buy into it. At least Morrissey is critical of it while acknowledging it's attraction.

Back
Top Bottom