Poll If you owned a record label, would you sign Morrissey in 2020?

If you owned a record label, would you sign Morrissey in 2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
and here you are on his website.if hes so bad why would you even waste your time coming on here,life really is too short.

There's a difference between being a fan and wanting him signed to your own label. You must see that from a business standpoint, that would be a nightmare.

We’re just talking about lyric writing.

So Paul McCartney is definitely off the list, although he's a brilliant composer of course. I personally think Morrissey is the greatest British pop lyricist ever, partly because his art is all in the words and delivering them. Others may have written songs that have been loved by more people, but nobody loves Morrissey just for the tunes.

Absolutely. If only to guide the album artwork process and de-shittify it.

So Paul McCartney is definitely off the list, although he's a brilliant composer of course. I personally think Morrissey is the greatest British pop lyricist ever, partly because his art is all in the words and delivering them. Others may have written songs that have been loved by more people, but nobody loves Morrissey just for the tunes.
I'd agree with this.
McCartney is a brilliant composer but lyrically I'm not sure.
Lennon to me was a mixed bag, but some lyrics are truly superb. Outside of The Beatles stuff, two tracks which have always stuck in my mind are 'Mother' (Shaved Fish) which was outstanding, & maybe more latterly, 'Woman' (Double Fantasy).
Shaved Fish is an excellent album by the way (Imagine, & No.9 Dream are brilliant).

Morrissey, to me anyway, is the greatest lyricist. As Eldritch has alluded to, his words, and the way he delivers them are without comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a difference between being a fan and wanting him signed to your own label. You must see that from a business standpoint, that would be a nightmare.
Exactly. I'm more than happy for someone else with bottomless pockets to put out as many new Morrissey albums as possible. But if I owned a label, would I want to deal with the day to day stress and hassle of dealing with Morrissey, his demands and complaints, given his previous frequently toxic history of label relationships? And also probably lose a lot of money in the process after he refuses to do any promotion for the damn thing? Not bloody likely. Let someone else have the stress of that.

I'd agree with this.
Lennon to me was a mixed bag, but some lyrics are truly superb. Outside of The Beatles stuff, two tracks which have always stuck in my mind are 'Mother' (Shaved Fish) which was outstanding, & maybe more latterly, 'Woman' (Double Fantasy).
Shaved Fish is an excellent album by the way (Imagine, & No.9 Dream are brilliant).

Morrissey, to me anyway, is the greatest lyricist. As Eldritch has alluded to, his words, and the way he delivers them are without comparison.

Shaved Fish is a Lennon compilation.

Beautifully put, I agree.

There’s also something very new and original, when he put his perspective of life to music. It’s difficult for me to explain. Maybe someone else could.

I'd agree with this.

Mother is actually a song from Lennon’s first solo album ‘Plastic Ono Band’ 1970.

As a whole it’s in my top 10 favorite records and should be in everyone’s collection.

Edit: lol, just saw someone else has made the same mention. :oops:

Last edited:
....dealing with Morrissey, And also probably lose a lot of money in the process after he refuses to do any promotion for the damn thing? Not bloody likely. Let someone else have the stress of that.

I wonder how much promotion Morrissey ‘refuses to do’ ?

From the look of it, in regards to BMG, it seems Morrissey was the only one
doing any real promotion by touring.

Seen a few posters put up by BMG in Britain only.

The album IANADOAC would have done a hell of a lot better sale wise if a pandemic shutdown didn’t cancel the tour, especially in the U.S.

I wonder how much promotion Morrissey ‘refuses to do’ ?
From the look of it, in regards to BMG, it seems Morrissey was the only one
doing any real promotion by touring.
Seen a few posters put up by BMG in Britain only.
The album IANADOAC would have done a hell of a lot better sale wise if a pandemic shutdown didn’t cancel the tour, especially in the U.S.

The best promotion for any new album is radio airplay.
In urging everyone who's ever followed him to vote for a right wing, protect the rich, militaristic, climate-change denying extremist political party, and in declaring that he prefers his own race, he brought upon himself a widespread radio-station boycott which killed the album commercially stone dead.
He owes the record company, his producer, and his songwriters a massive apology for turning one of his best albums of the last 25 years into a huge commercial flop. There is no-one else to blame.

The best promotion for any new album is radio airplay.
In urging everyone who's ever followed him to vote for a right wing, protect the rich, militaristic, climate-change denying extremist political party, and in declaring that he prefers his own race, he brought upon himself a widespread radio-station boycott which killed the album commercially stone dead.
He owes the record company, his producer, and his songwriters a massive apology for turning one of his best albums of the last 25 years into a huge commercial flop. There is no-one else to blame.

I don’t believe Morrissey ever really relied on or felt that radio airplay was
what really sold his records, though he wouldn’t stop anyone from playing them of course.

So he knows he has to tour, one of the reasons being ... for the promotion of his record. Since he knows the label will let him down in this department.

BMG for reasons unknown to us simply haven’t been paying anyone to play it ....

Back
Top Bottom