Iggy Pop

The Youngest

doesn't eat his friends
Why did Morrissey meet Iggy Pop? I don't think he's ever mentioned liking him or his music before. :confused:

He's mentioned being a Stooges fan. Which isn't surprising - the Dolls, Stooges, Velvets go together very well.

I've heard both Morrissey and Johnny Marr praise The Stooges 'Raw Power' at different times in interviews

When Mogsy hits 50 he'll start lacerating himself and showing his truncheon. Grow old disgracefully.

Raw Power is an amazing record, but fun house is the best.
i guess it goes with morrissey's infactuation with 70s american punk.

He's mentioned being a Stooges fan. Which isn't surprising - the Dolls, Stooges, Velvets go together very well.
Seal_Of_Approval_I.jpg

Steven Morrissey reviews an Iggy Pop / TV Smith's Explorers / Telephone concert. "Would we have known that this was the much promoted American Independence Day Special if not for the minuscule moth-eaten US flag shoddily propped above the stage? And they didn't even bother to iron it... The ceremony began with Telephone from France, whose strange collection of songs never rose above the level of intense mediocrity. TV Smith's Explorer's look uninteresting, but are not without merit. Towards the end of their set, Smith (who hasn't changed his clothes since 1977) proclaims: "Someday it will all make sense". Where would England be without such visionaries? Which brings us to Iggy. Dear Iggy! Always there when we... don't quite need him. Opening with 'Search And Destroy', Iggy's out to squeeze a bit more mileage out of the ol' legend. Everyone screams so loudly. In fact that they probably didn't hear Iggy's dire vocals, and the doleful heavy metal bash coming from his new band - a notably faceless crop of Egyptian mummies. Iggy's taut torso is not on display tonight, but he proves his credentials by indulging in his tiresomely cute King Kong antics as he slowly climbs up the amps to squeals of delight. King Kong? Little Ig looks as fearsome as a well-laundered Klondike Annie. This year Iggy models the jaded gigolo look, a style for which the voice must always be out of tune, it seems. The new Iggy is really into crowd participation and insists that every song ends with a running 'la-la-la'. One would imagine that the next step for him would be the Golden Garter or, better still, retirement."

Steven Morrissey reviews an Iggy Pop / TV Smith's Explorers / Telephone concert. (...) Which brings us to Iggy. Dear Iggy! Always there when we... don't quite need him. Opening with 'Search And Destroy', Iggy's out to squeeze a bit more mileage out of the ol' legend. Everyone screams so loudly. In fact that they probably didn't hear Iggy's dire vocals, and the doleful heavy metal bash coming from his new band - a notably faceless crop of Egyptian mummies. (....)
He obviously wasn't so fond of Iggy's solo career...

Last edited:
Steven Morrissey reviews an Iggy Pop / TV Smith's Explorers / Telephone concert. "Would we have known that this was the much promoted American Independence Day Special if not for the minuscule moth-eaten US flag shoddily propped above the stage? And they didn't even bother to iron it... The ceremony began with Telephone from France, whose strange collection of songs never rose above the level of intense mediocrity. TV Smith's Explorer's look uninteresting, but are not without merit. Towards the end of their set, Smith (who hasn't changed his clothes since 1977) proclaims: "Someday it will all make sense". Where would England be without such visionaries? Which brings us to Iggy. Dear Iggy! Always there when we... don't quite need him. Opening with 'Search And Destroy', Iggy's out to squeeze a bit more mileage out of the ol' legend. Everyone screams so loudly. In fact that they probably didn't hear Iggy's dire vocals, and the doleful heavy metal bash coming from his new band - a notably faceless crop of Egyptian mummies. Iggy's taut torso is not on display tonight, but he proves his credentials by indulging in his tiresomely cute King Kong antics as he slowly climbs up the amps to squeals of delight. King Kong? Little Ig looks as fearsome as a well-laundered Klondike Annie. This year Iggy models the jaded gigolo look, a style for which the voice must always be out of tune, it seems. The new Iggy is really into crowd participation and insists that every song ends with a running 'la-la-la'. One would imagine that the next step for him would be the Golden Garter or, better still, retirement."

I hate these 'reviews' from young Steven Morrissey. They are so immature, poorly written and derivative. I wonder if he ever looks back at them himself and cringes?

Back
Top Bottom