In (Partial) Defense of Morrissey ~ therunout.com

Yeah, Hairdresser on Fire is about comitting arson because you can't get a haircut. Ok. Also, when did he show a vivisection on the last tour?

That's not a defence of Morrissey.
He says there's a war against Morrissey, when really there's just been a long line of really shitty things said by Morrissey with a few people in the press saying "Hold on, Morrissey. That's quite shitty of you, actually..."
It's a long article where he doesn't mention most of his objectionable statements, downplays the rest and then kisses his arse. At length.
This is partly the problem. The amount of people who kiss his arse in print far, far outweighs those who object to all the shittiness, but those who kiss his arse always go out of their way to paint themselves as being in a minority of one against a tidal wave of unfair and unjustified Morrissey-bashing.

Actually, I'd like to mount a (partial) defence of Morrissey, too:

Don't take all the shitty things he says too seriously
For verily he isn't particularly bright
But here are some nice songs what he wrote...

Let's be honest. Half the time Morrissey is being flippant or saying something tongue in cheek whether it be in a public statement or song lyrics and most people just don't get it. Another bit of the time he'll say something over the top as a response to something just because he knows a few people will freak out about it. And then there are the times in lyrics where he's putting himself in another point of view and of course you have those people who take that at face value too and before you know it he's being called everything from racist to you name it.

Even if he was racist, sexist etc. the approach people take to reach that conclusion is fundamentally flawed and that's the point. Most people just don't bother to use the intelligence they have and latch on to the first notion that pops into their head. Then you have the people who simply aren't familiar with Morrissey or his reputation and misunderstand. And then you have the ones who are looking to snatch at any crumbs he might toss in order to throw them back in his face.

Most of the time people play right into his hand and expose him as the puppeteer he is for anyone who cares to take notice.

Last edited:
That's not a defence of Morrissey.
He says there's a war against Morrissey, when really there's just been a long line of really shitty things said by Morrissey with a few people in the press saying "Hold on, Morrissey. That's quite shitty of you, actually..."
It's a long article where he doesn't mention most of his objectionable statements, downplays the rest and then kisses his arse. At length.
This is partly the problem. The amount of people who kiss his arse in print far, far outweighs those who object to all the shittiness, but those who kiss his arse always go out of their way to paint themselves as being in a minority of one against a tidal wave of unfair and unjustified Morrissey-bashing.

Wow. You sure have a f***ed up agenda. THERES NOT ENOUGH BAD PRESS ABOUT MORRISSEY!!!

Actually, I'd like to mount a (partial) defence of Morrissey, too:

Don't take all the shitty things he says too seriously
For verily he isn't particularly bright
But here are some nice songs what he wrote...
Oh I but I love this post.
Why don't you register you swine so you can take credit for the comment of the day.
For verily he isn't particularly bright.

Let's be honest. Half the time Morrissey is being flippant or saying something tongue in cheek whether it be in a public statement or song lyrics and most people just don't get it. Another bit of the time he'll say something over the top as a response to something just because he knows a few people will freak out about it. And then there are the times in lyrics where he's putting himself in another point of view and of course you have those people who take that at face value too and before you know it he's being called everything from racist to you name it.

Even if he was racist, sexist etc. the approach people take to reach that conclusion is fundamentally flawed and that's the point. Most people just don't bother to use the intelligence they have and latch on to the first notion that pops into their head. Then you have the people who simply don't know Morrissey or his reputation and misunderstand. And then you have the ones who are looking to snatch at any crumbs he might toss in order to throw them back in his face.

Most of the time people play right into his hand and expose him as the puppeteer he is for anyone who cares to take notice.

This is exciting! How long have you personally known Morrissey?

This is exciting! How long have you personally known Morrissey?

I didn't realize one had to meet a public figure to make observations about their public statements and demeanour. I'm conveying my opinions based on what I've observed, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:
I didn't realize one had to meet a public figure to make observations about their public statements and demeanour. I'm conveying my opinions based on what I've observed, nothing more nothing less.

I just thought that as you spoke to his motivations, thought processes and intentions, you know, the stuff beyond what could be gleaned by observation alone, you must know him quite well. Otherwise it reads a bit like wishful thinking.

Sometimes if it walks like a duck...

Back
Top Bottom