Inside The Smiths (2007) Documentary - MP4 download

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
Here is the documentary featuring Joyce & Rourke:

Inside The Smiths (2007)

https://mega.nz/#!Uw8USQCS!pRDz49WAs0gFLrsGedEVl6UkaRnsj3pNreX4LBpk0NQ
(615 mb).

Music is by Craig Gannon.

"It’s time the tale were told, of how it was to be one of ‘the other two’.
That’s according to Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, the men behind the irresistible basslines and urgent drums respectively of the sound of The Smiths.
There’s not much, though, in the way of astounding revelations in this inside view of Smiths history; instead, a familiar story is made fresh by being couched in the words and memories of two people who were a central part of it.
There’s no revenge agenda; Rourke is as open about his addictions as he is about the pain of the infamous court case, and Joyce graciously imagines himself from Morrissey’s point of view: “A bit of a beer monster, and probably he wasn’t far wrong.”
Indeed, if there’s anything amiss, it’s that the duo are almost too respectful of their own history; you get a real sense of the dynamics of the group’s psychology, but not so much of Rourke and Joyce as people themselves.
With contributions from Mark E Smith, Pete Shelley, and, er… Preston from The Ordinary Boys, this is an essential document for Smiths fans.
It’s slightly marred by some slightly schlocky ‘arty’ editing, but that can’t obscure the pair’s touching enthusiasm as they visit their first rehearsal rooms, meet wide-eyed fans and recall the excitement of finding themselves in one of the best bands in the world.
As Joyce himself puts it: “It sounded like the groups you want to hear, the groups you want to be in. Then you pinch yourself and realise, I am in them!”

(Blurb sourced from Record Collector).

Click on image for larger view:
CS298361-01A-BIG.jpg CS298361-01B-BIG.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Inside The Smiths (2007)

(615 mb).

That’s according to Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, the men behind the irresistible basslines and urgent drums respectively of the sound of The Smiths.
There’s not much, though, in the way of astounding revelations in this inside view of Smiths history; instead, a familiar story is made fresh by being couched in the words and memories of two people who were a central part of it.
There’s no revenge agenda; Rourke is as open about his addictions as he is about the pain of the infamous court case, and Joyce graciously imagines himself from Morrissey’s point of view: “A bit of a beer monster, and probably he wasn’t far wrong.”
Indeed, if there’s anything amiss, it’s that the duo are almost too respectful of their own history; you get a real sense of the dynamics of the group’s psychology, but not so much of Rourke and Joyce as people themselves.
With contributions from Mark E Smith, Pete Shelley, and, er… Preston from The Ordinary Boys, this is an essential document for Smiths fans.
It’s slightly marred by some slightly schlocky ‘arty’ editing, but that can’t obscure the pair’s touching enthusiasm as they visit their first rehearsal rooms, meet wide-eyed fans and recall the excitement of finding themselves in one of the best bands in the world.
As Joyce himself puts it: “It sounded like the groups you want to hear, the groups you want to be in. Then you pinch yourself and realise, I am in them!”

View attachment 48196 View attachment 48197

Regards,
FWD.

Typo up there in the first sentence, should read 'the other two TWATS':grin:

Inside The Smiths (2007)

(615 mb).

View attachment 48196 View attachment 48197

Regards,
FWD.
thanks so much, appreciated. enjoyed it very much.

BEWARE, a disheveled ( pre bauble auction) Hooky make an appearance with the two other twats.:eek:

I'm stuck at 18.1% at this "'INSIDE THE SMITHS'" torrent from demonoid.me for 5 weeks. Is there anybody who has 100%?
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:F8311D90516D8224EB309A264CEBB2AA0DE93316

I'm stuck at 18.1% at this "'INSIDE THE SMITHS'" torrent from demonoid.me for 5 weeks. Is there anybody who has 100%?
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:F8311D90516D8224EB309A264CEBB2AA0DE93316
The above mega.nz link is still working.
It's never been hosted as a torrent here.
Regards,
FWD.

Great video, thanks for sharing, filled a few gaps but raises more questions at the same time.

Narrative suggests they were called to a meeting at the 'posh fish n chip shop in London', where Marr tells them he's leaving the band. Seems quite a blunt, brief meeting.

In his book, however, Marr says "The band met in an upmarket fish-and-chip restaurant in Kensington. Andy and I sat on one side, and Morrissey and Mike sat on the other. I told the band that we needed to have a rethink and get some perspective. I was trying to shake off the malaise that was taking over us, and I talked vaguely about reinventing the music, although I wasn’t sure what that meant. I knew that the others no longer considered Ken Friedman to be the manager and I didn’t have a solution to that. I expressed my frustrations as well as I could without trying to sound too negative, but inside I felt like I was drowning.

I found Marr's book thin & weak, but here it appears Marr softened the edges of 'the decision', in his book ('rethink and get some perspective'), & doesn't really spend too much time clarifying/detailing things, or am I misinterpreting it, or looking too hard?

Doesn't totally reflect what actually happened, if the narrative, courtesy of Rourke/Joyce, is anything to go by. It's a shame that he (Marr) didn't have the courage to be more honest & ballsy in his writing.

I found Marr's book thin & weak, but here it appears Marr softened the edges of 'the decision', in his book ('rethink and get some perspective'), & doesn't really spend too much time clarifying/detailing things, or am I misinterpreting it, or looking too hard?

Doesn't totally reflect what actually happened, if the narrative, courtesy of Rourke/Joyce, is anything to go by. It's a shame that he (Marr) didn't have the courage to be more honest & ballsy in his writing.

You mean tell the world explicitly what an awful person Morrissey was and is? What would have been gained by that? I like that he left it up to the reader to surmise what kind of people he was dealing with through their actions.

You mean tell the world explicitly what an awful person Morrissey was and is? What would have been gained by that? I like that he left it up to the reader to surmise what kind of people he was dealing with through their actions.

I didn't mean any of that at all, & certainly wasn't looking for him to bad-mouth Morrissey at all. I like clarity & facts, not rounded off edges which quickly skate over significant events.

Marr's book lacks essential detail which would have been the reason that fans bought the book...to find out 'things'.

If someone writes a book (Marr in this case) then I expected a decent level of detail which answered questions. As a fan I'm interested in detail, & the book didn't give me that.

It's not a witch-hunt, it's an observation, based on watching the video & comparing against the book.

My comments expressed my disappointment, nothing more.

I didn't mean any of that at all, & certainly wasn't looking for him to bad-mouth Morrissey at all. I like clarity & facts, not rounded off edges which quickly skate over significant events.

Marr's book lacks essential detail which would have been the reason that fans bought the book...to find out 'things'.

If someone writes a book (Marr in this case) then I expected a decent level of detail which answered questions. As a fan I'm interested in detail, & the book didn't give me that.

It's not a witch-hunt, it's an observation, based on watching the video & comparing against the book.

My comments expressed my disappointment, nothing more.

What kind of things did you want to find out? All the dirt? I'm waiting for Mike Joyce's book for that!

Morrissey's awfulness IS a giant detail he is skirting over. Seeing a lot of interviews with him, he didn't want to write a whole book moaning about things, which he totally could have.

I think it was written with a very clear-eyed mission to make the Smiths seem great - a great band, amazing creativity and legacy. Personally, I loved that book.

Back
Top Bottom