INXS call it quits after 35 years

The Seeker of Good Songs

ICONIC Australian band INXS announced that Sunday night's concert at Perth Arena was their last ever performance.

PerthNow understands that the band will release a statement confirming the news this afternoon.
Drummer Jon Farriss made the emotional announcement that they are disbanding about two thirds of the way through their set and admitted “I’m getting teary,” before they launched into one of their biggest hits, Need You Tonight.
The band, which formed in Sydney in 1977, played at Perth Arena as a support act for American rockers Matchbox Twenty.
INXS has strong roots in Perth after being formed by Farris and his brothers Andrew and Tim, who spent part of their teenage years in WA, and late frontman Michael Hutchence.
The band has performed with several frontmen since the death of Hutchence in 1997, including Jon Stevens and Terence Trent D'Arby. Irishman Ciaran Gribbin has held the role since September 2011. The band’s search for a permanent singer was documented in the 2004 reality TV series, Rock Star: INXS which was won by Canadian J.D Fortune.
Fortune tweeted today: "They are my friends and I feel very sad for them. It was an honour to have been a part of the band's history. Love and Mayhem."
Gribbin tweeted, "Thanks Perth for an amazing & emotional night. Thanks also to the great men of Matchbox Twenty and Evermore."
The tour was the final leg of their run supporting Matchbox Twenty, leading some to speculate if the band were referring to the end of a tour, not the end of their career and were misquoted.
But sources close to INXS have confirmed their longtime manager Chris Murphy held a meeting with the band members to confirm their decision this morning and is now heading back to Sydney to issue a statement.
It is believed the band had scheduled a two year break after the tour, which marked 25 years since their international breakthough Kick was released but decided they would no longer play live before the Matchbox Twenty gigs started.

from: http://www.perthnow.com.au/entertai...xs-call-it-quits/story-e6frg30l-1226514782227

Actually, the saddest part of this is they still existed, and went out as a supporting act in Perth, for a band I've never even heard of. I'm surprised they continued after Hutchence, and wasn't aware they had.

Heh, looked them up, and it seems I ought to have heard about them, with Grammy nominations and all. Thats what comes from never listening to radio I guess.

Back
Top Bottom