'Irish Blood, English Heart': Second-Generation Irish Musicians in England by Sean Campbell out now

'Irish Blood, English Heart': Second-Generation Irish Musicians in England
by Sean Campbell
Cork University Press
November 2011 (Paperback)
ISBN: 9781859184905
Amazon link

BOOK DESCRIPTION

Second-generation Irish musicians have played a vital role in the history of popular music in England. This book explores the role of Irish ethnicity in the lives and work of these musicians, focusing on three high-profile projects: Kevin Rowland and Dexys Midnight Runners, Shane MacGowan and The Pogues, and Morrissey/Marr and The Smiths. The book locates these musicians in a hyphenated ‘Irish-Englishness’ marked by ‘in-betweenness’ and explores the different ways that they engaged with this in-betweenness through their creative work and their engagements with audiences, the media and the music industry. The book draws on extensive archival research of print and audio-visual media as well as original interviews with the key figures, including Shane MacGowan, Johnny Marr, Kevin Rowland and Cáit O’Riordan. Combining its assiduous research with fresh critical insights, the book offers new analyses of the musicians, as well as previously undocumented accounts of their lives and work. The book highlights the diversity and complexity of second-generation Irish identities and experience and details the diverse ways in which this generation has shaped popular music in England. Accessible and original, ‘Irish Blood, English Heart’ will be of interest to students and scholars in the fields of popular music, media/cultural studies, and ethnic/migration studies. It will also appeal to a wider audience of those interested in the musicians with whom it deals.

51ahdhkwcdl._ss500_.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some reviews of the book:

'This is not just a subtle and sophisticated scholarly contribution to popular music and Irish studies. It is also a fine and exciting account of how music can be used to make sense of the complexity, anxiety and exhilaration of contemporary cultural identities'. --Simon Frith, Tovey Professor of Music, University of Edinburgh

'The role of the second-generation Irish in shaping British pop has, until now, been all but overlooked. Sean Campbell looks deeply and thought-provokingly at the second-generation Irish "in-betweenness" of Kevin Rowland, Shane MacGowan and, perhaps most surprisingly, Morrissey and Johnny Marr of The Smiths, that seemingly most English of pop groups. He sheds new light on their songs and on the strategies of protest, resistance and assimilation articulated therein. "Irish Blood, English Heart" is a constantly intriguing and often provocative book about the complex process - and peculiar freedom - of not wholly belonging to one culture or the other'. --Sean O'Hagan, The Observer'

We long ago embraced Wilde, Shaw and Sheridan, all Irish playwrights living in England, as integral to a lively British theatre culture. Until now, we have heard less about Morrissey, MacGowan, Rowland and the rest of the second-generation Irish in British popular music. Sean Campbell's enthralling study, with its direct access to these musicians, incisively opens the discussion and sets an exceptionally high standard against which all other interrogations of post-colonialism in pop culture are likely to be weighed'. --Philip Chevron, The Pogues

'Four stars - Brilliant'. --MOJO Magazine

'This is a highly valuable book on the Irish diaspora and the politics of post-imperial popular culture in the UK. It reveals how Irish-English musicians struggled and succeeded in making the nation's multi-ethnic history and culture more audible and visible in a particularly inhospitable climate for the Irish. The book makes a significant contribution to the cultural history of the 1970s and 1980s, and contains lessons for the present in which England and the United Kingdom continue to fashion other "enemies within"'. --Nabeel Zuberi, author of Sounds English

'This is an excellent piece of scholarship, offering an erudite mix of rigorous cultural history and insightful musical analysis. It is a major contribution to popular music scholarship and Irish and English popular music in particular. It deftly opens up and gives critical texture to the complexities of the in-between spaces of the English/Irish interface, and significantly forwards discussions of hybridity'. --Noel McLaughlin, Popular Music History

Last edited:
Re: Article: 'Irish Blood, English Heart': Second-Generation Irish Musicians in Engla

Molly Coddie,

You need - good spanky.

we'll let you know
You really have gone mad 'We'll let you know'. You are now posting insults to yourself! You needn't bother, I'm sure there are plenty other posters who would do it for you!

Re: Article: 'Irish Blood, English Heart': Second-Generation Irish Musicians in Engla

You really have gone mad 'We'll let you know'. You are now posting insults to yourself! You needn't bother, I'm sure there are plenty other posters who would do it for you!

Dear Peterb,

It is clear, some nasty chap is using my signature for his stupid agenda.

we'll let you know

Dear Peterb,

It is clear, some nasty chap is using my signature for his stupid agenda.

we'll let you know
Yeah, I know. I'm sorry I'm just being a tosser.

nothing like academia to strangle the love out of anything beautiful.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom