Is Black Eyed Susan Siouxsie Sioux?

Don't know who it is about, if anyone, but it was recorded during the Vauxhall sessions - i.e. Before Morrissey and Siouxie fell out. The idea that it might be about her makes less sense when you take that into account.

Apparently so, yes. Recorded before their post-'Interlude' bust up, obviously.

Apparently so, yes. Recorded before their post-'Interlude' bust up, obviously.

I wonder if anything would've turned out differently in regards to Moz's career choices if things hadn't turned out that way - say if Siouxsie had agreed to Moz's video concept or if they found a middle ground and the release was far more successful. I wonder if he'd have been open to the odd duet with other people later on. At this point it's probably never gonna happen again.

The only other proposed duet I can think of offhand was Morrissey & Robbie Williams singing 'Let Me Kiss You', which he pulled out of. Maybe we dodged a bullet with that one.

The only other proposed duet I can think of offhand was Morrissey & Robbie Williams singing 'Let Me Kiss You', which he pulled out of. Maybe we dodged a bullet with that one.

Also, Morrissey tried to arrange a duet with Bowie when he was recording with Visconti in Rome in 2005, namely "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Righteous Brothers.

Also, Morrissey tried to arrange a duet with Bowie when he was recording with Visconti in Rome in 2005, namely "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Righteous Brothers.

yeah and i thought they or he tried to get him to do one when they were on tour together as well. that said who would you want to see moz do a duet with. also what guitarist musician would you like to see him collaborate with. mine is easily bernard butler and as for a singing duet i think ill go with patrick wolf as the a duet. i could see moz covering accidents emergency

This is interesting as I always thought it referenced the plant of the same name!
The shakes to break and do nothing lines are interesting if about Siouxsie.
It is from the sunflower family, so could be code for Oscar Wilde - quite an enigma this track.
Regards,
FWD
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudbeckia_hirta
The Buckingham's song: Susan also gets cited as an influence too.
As for Saint Robbie of Williams - there was a period where he pomped the quiff high and started going on TOTPs with pretend injuries - I have a feeling this was the same time as any proposed duet - thank the almighty that never happened.

Last edited:
This is interesting as I always thought it referenced the plant of the same name!
The shakes to break and do nothing lines are interesting if about Siouxsie.
It is from the sunflower family, so could be code for Oscar Wilde - quite an enigma this track.
Regards,
FWD
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudbeckia_hirta
The Buckingham's song: Susan also gets cited as an influence too.
As for Saint Robbie of Williams - there was a period where he pomped the quiff high and started going on TOTPs with pretend injuries - I have a feeling this was the same time as any proposed duet - thank the almighty that never happened.
They say the flower represent justice, maybe it is about the court thing. Maybe about the ineptness of the court and justice system. "Rest and do nothing 'Cause it's the only thing that you do quite well " and etc

Last edited by a moderator:
best song to ever feature a black eyed susan was written by paul westeberg. black eyed susan blowing in the breeze, black eyed susan blowing just for me. what the wilde connection. never heard that one

best song to ever feature a black eyed susan was written by paul westeberg. black eyed susan blowing in the breeze, black eyed susan blowing just for me. what the wilde connection. never heard that one
I believe it was a byproduct of the aesthetic movement, but you will find a pile of pictures of Oscar with a sunflower included (as per the etched disc image by Chas Kendrick that Moz used).
So the link is tenuous, but a black-eyed susan is a flower from the sunflower family and just fits in to the Morrisseyness of it all!
Regards,
FWD
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=oscar+wilde+sunflower+images

I believe it was a byproduct of the aesthetic movement, but you will find a pile of pictures of Oscar with a sunflower included (as per the etched disc image by Chas Kendrick that Moz used).
So the link is tenuous, but a black-eyed susan is a flower from the sunflower family and just fits in to the Morrisseyness of it all!
Regards,
FWD
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=oscar+wilde+sunflower+images

cool thanks for response. would have thought a dandy lion to be more his speed

Visconti was trying to arrange it. I like to imagine it would've sold ridiculously well.

yeah and i thought they or he tried to get him to do one when they were on tour together as well. that said who would you want to see moz do a duet with. also what guitarist musician would you like to see him collaborate with. mine is easily bernard butler and as for a singing duet i think ill go with patrick wolf as the a duet. i could see moz covering accidents emergency

I'd like to have seen Frank Sinatra live long enough not to duet with Morrissey, but to have sung a Quarry-to-present era Morrissey song.

Visconti was trying to arrange it. I like to imagine it would've sold ridiculously well.

I'd like to have seen Frank Sinatra live long enough not to duet with Morrissey, but to have sung a Quarry-to-present era Morrissey song.

im not a big fan of franks voice but i could see him doing a moz song pretty well in that speak sing thing he does. maybe hold on to your friends or even speedway. i always kinda had a fantasy of him doing nirvanas polly sung softly with gentle strings

Back
Top Bottom