Is helping other students cheat wrong?

Is helping other students cheat wrong?

• Total voters

chica

v2.0
I come from a culture with collectivist understanding of morality. Ever since the first grade I was taught that it was wrong not to let another child copy your homework or your answers on a test. Teachers didn't allow it because that was their job, but they weren't too strict about it. Only later I found out that in other countries it was considered morally wrong. Why exactly is it wrong?

I come from a culture with collectivist understanding of morality. Ever since the first grade I was taught that it was wrong not to let another child copy your homework or your answers on a test. Teachers didn't allow it because that was their job, but they weren't too strict about it. Only later I found out that in other countries it was considered morally wrong. Why exactly is it wrong?

In Japan primary school education starts at age of 7 (most of kids are actually 6 years old, they'll have birthday during grade 1 period).
I was an unruly child, often copied the answers of other kids during the tests.
However, my teacher wasn't really bothered because I realized copying my classmates' didn't help me to get higher mark so I stopped.

In Japan primary school education starts at age of 7 (most of kids are actually 6 years old, they'll have birthday during grade 1 period).
I was an unruly child, often copied the answers of other kids during the tests.
However, my teacher wasn't really bothered because I realized copying my classmates' didn't help me to get higher mark so I stopped.

Wait--you copied them? You didn't tell them the answers? Or cite examples of where each question was previously discussed?

Wait--you copied them? You didn't tell them the answers? Or cite examples of where each question was previously discussed?

It was sociology test (learn about duties of citizens, law and politics etc) when I finished I saw a boy's paper who was sitting next to me.
He wrote different answers, so I copied his.
Half of his answers were wrong, that taught me that copying others was bad idea.

Years later the boy turned out to be very bright because he passed the entrance exams of the best university of the region.

I haven't seen him for ages, but still remember his name.

Why exactly is it wrong?

george-w-bush.jpg

You think the First Chimp's classmates ask that question?

The last school I worked at was a Comprehensive. I saw teachers actually give pupils answers and do work for them. Not in exams where exam conditions applied, but in the classroom., where they were doing work for their coursework. This is because teachers are under so much pressure to get the grades they actually do the work for the students. It happens, I have seen it first hand on many occasions.

You're just cheating yourself! :rolleyes:

However, tests (post primary school anyway) are just about jumping hoops for the school and really aren't a test of intelligence (yes I'm bitter) so you may as well keep them happy.
When I've copied it's usually because I've forgotten or didn't know there was a test and it's always off a friend; it's incredibly irritating when some unkind soul you barely talk to asks to copy work :mad: in fact this morning on the bus this girl had the cheek to ask me to go upstairs and ask somebody for their homework for her to copy, of course I gave her a very firm NO :)

At high school year 3 we had a weekly English spelling test.
However, some cunning people got info through other classes which had it few days earlier.
I didn't cheat because English was one of my favourite subjects.
Later teachers discovered the fact, majorities got penalty.

*edit*
This thread reminded me of Munchy's thread:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=87913

Last edited:
Worm was closest to answering my question :p

However, no matter how much you cheat, you will still have to show your real worth to get anywhere. Employers aren't stupid. When they're stupid, they lose money. Well, it doesn't matter if it's taxpayers' money, but that's a different can of worms. ;)

I hate it when people cheat.
I'll be doing my work or whatever and someone will ask me what the answer is. Half the time it's a worksheet, and the answer is in plain view in the text.
:mad: I hate getting in trouble, so it annoys me when people target me to try and cheat off of.

Hello, Kiltie! Does it mean that helping people cheat is wrong because you're helping them do something that essentially harms them?

I think it's essential to actually understand what it is you're being taught. There's too much about modern education that's about memory tests and examinations, rather than experiencing the sheer joy of understanding something you previously didn't have any idea about.

Education is rarely a joy, and it really should be.

How are you doing?...:guitar:

I think it's essential to actually understand what it is you're being taught. There's too much about modern education that's about memory tests and examinations, rather than experiencing the sheer joy of understanding something you previously didn't have any idea about.

Education is rarely a joy, and it really should be.

How are you doing?...:guitar:

I'm fine, thank you :) Now... did you answer my question? :confused: :D

"Tried to get me with their learning and their books,
Deep understanding and intelligent looks,
All of the time, they never saw me,
They were just looking for what they wanted to see.
They've got the lot, that's what they want you to think,
Read between the lines, you'll see the missing link.
Books are easy backs for what they want to do to you,
Bind you up in slavery for the privileged few,
They'll prove their lies with history, say "That's the way it always was,
Accept the shit and slavery, be one of us.""

I.E. no unless you charge for it.

That's why we all come here.

That, and finding a public platform to get this shit out of my head...:p

I'm fine, thank you :) Now... did you answer my question? :confused: :D

I think if you don't understand whatever the subject matter is, then that harms them. It shouldn't be beyond the realms of impossibility to actually use different techniques and come at things from various angles in order to pass on knowledge. I think this points at a lack of flexibility in teaching methods imposed from the top down by politicians who are trying to create the next generation of ants for the economy, which isn't a bad thing in itself.

But it genuinely astonishes me that Education is presented in such a mind-numbingly boring way.

Now I have a question for people who voted against charging: why is that wrong? Are you only supposed to help people for free? What's wrong with fair exchange?

i think its not really a good way to go about things, if you cheat or help someone cheat ,are you or that person you helped really learning anything?
but perhaps the real problem is how things are taught, very boring,some things could be a little more interesting and should be with the right teacher.

Back
Top Bottom