Is Jackie about Brexit, Britain, or not?

If it's not about Brexit , the song is a little bit disappointing . I mean... a song about a woman who's only happy when she's on stage , it's not really interesting.

It's not my fav song and the subjects a little tired but there's some interesting angles to it if you put morrissey in the place of jacky. Audience addiction turning bad as the audience turns on you. Still wonder if the songs about a specific person. Genius lyric site sad the bit over scene two sounded like a movie sample. If so I wonder if it's related to the songs subject

No. EXIT - 03:51, WRECKS IT?, everybody's heading for the BREXIT, EXIT, FIX THIS or IT, EXCESS.

Are you listening to the live version or the album version? Because there is definitely nothing like that on the album Shyness!

Are you listening to the live version or the album version? Because there is definitely nothing like that on the album Shyness!
This is the album version. And as I have said already, if you can't hear anything other than exit (strange) then you need to get some headphones (high quality if possible) and slow the song down, turn the volume up as high as you can.

I would say this, in the most kindest way, you need to get you ears checked if you can't hear anything other EXIT. :)

It's not my fav song and the subjects a little tired but there's some interesting angles to it if you put morrissey in the place of jacky. Audience addiction turning bad as the audience turns on you. Still wonder if the songs about a specific person. Genius lyric site sad the bit over scene two sounded like a movie sample. If so I wonder if it's related to the songs subject

Yes it could be Moz you're right. But with his political opinions it's tempting to think that he is speaking about Brexit
Anyway it's a great song, even if the beginning is a little bit boring with all the lyrics repetition

This is the album version. And as I have said already, if you can't hear anything other than exit (strange) then you need to get some headphones (high quality if possible) and slow the song down, turn the volume up as high as you can.

I would say this, in the most kindest way, you need to get you ears checked if you can't hear anything other EXIT. :)

Morrissey is saying "exit" every single time Shyness.

Morrissey is saying "exit" every single time Shyness.

I take that back about your ears. You are deluded :)

I take that back about your ears. You are deluded :)

Ok, try listening to the track and in your head, say exit when Morrissey does. Just try it once ok?

Once upon a time I heard Dido - White Flag on the radio and I thought she said "I will poke my eyes out". I know now that she isn't saying that, why would she, it makes no sense, but I can still hear it! :) Have a listen

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it could be Moz you're right. But with his political opinions it's tempting to think that he is speaking about Brexit
Anyway it's a great song, even if the beginning is a little bit boring with all the lyrics repetition

It's not about brexit tho lol, I feel an obligation as a sane person to put a stop to this nonsense. You guys are really way off the mark, reading so much into something that isnt there, it takes a ''special'' kind of mind to turn, ''Jackys only happy when shes up on stage'' to ''The union jack/britain/the world stage/Brexit'' etc etc. (and i don't mean special in a good way). It's baffling to me how you can come to that conclusion, even when your idol has flat out denied it, you still insist. You's are all wrong. Let it go, and move on ;)

Ok, try listening to the track and in your head, say exit when Morrissey does. Just try it once ok?
I have just told you what to do. You say you can't even hear anything other 'exit' approaching the end of the song? End of discussion then.

You absolute morons - especially Skinny. Jacky is Morrissey. The song is about his split from Johnny Marr. The exit is everyone who deserts him, including you lot on this pitiful site. The blacker than ever before is a reference to how he feels; or was feeling at a certain time, and nothing whatsoever to do with skin colour. I can't help but feel that Skinny is a racist - he is fascinated with racism. Quite often it is those who go on about a subject who do so to hide their own true affiliation to it. You also have to wonder if Daniel Grinbank is a paedophile.

Glad I can help.
You should try and help yourself to 'feel' sensibly. Uncle Skinny a racist? With all the openly unpleasant views we see here on Solo?
We all should be obsessed with racism. It is a foul and disgusting thing that our ancestors will look back upon as we look upon capital punishment (sorry USA. Don't worry one day you'll catch up).

It's not about brexit tho lol, I feel an obligation as a sane person to put a stop to this nonsense. You guys are really way off the mark, reading so much into something that isnt there, it takes a ''special'' kind of mind to turn, ''Jackys only happy when shes up on stage'' to ''The union jack/britain/the world stage/Brexit'' etc etc. (and i don't mean special in a good way). It's baffling to me how you can come to that conclusion, even when your idol has flat out denied it, you still insist. You's are all wrong. Let it go, and move on ;)
'This country is making me sick', what does that have to do with somebody up on the stage? Not just that, the shouting too. But even if that is a load of bollocks (the song does seem to fit for me and some others as well) he does say Brexit at the end, along with other words which I have said already.

Is Jackie about Brexit, Britain, or not?

NAH.

CASE CLOSED. :hammer:

Once upon a time I heard Dido - White Flag on the radio and I thought she said "I will poke my eyes out". I know now that she isn't saying that, why would she, it makes no sense, but I can still hear it! :) Have a listen

Slowing down a song can help you hear the lyrics clearer ;)

I can't think of another of his songs where he has explicitly stated its (non) meaning not even in Autobiography.

It is curious that some things he says are taken as gospel (mostly his more controversial stuff) but when he says categorically it is not about Brexit,there are those who wont believe him.
Seems like he can't win.
It's not about not believing him. I was just saying that you could take that meaning from the song, or an allusion to Britain and/or Brexit. Just like two people reading the same book and taking different things from it. Nobody is calling Moz a liar and we are not deliberately mis-understanding his lyrics.
You can't say a thing on this site without people going on the defensive/offensive.

I tend to think this song is about his sister, Jacqueline Morrissey. He own desires in the family line to be on stage and noticed.

and if they don't believe him now, will they ever believe him ?

I have just told you what to do. You say you can't even hear anything other 'exit' approaching the end of the song? End of discussion then.
I can't hear Brexit either. I think the word Brexit is so ingrained in your subconscious now you start hearing it whenever a word remotely similar is said. If Mozzer had released this song 3 years ago this wouldn't even be a topic of conversation.

I can't hear Brexit either. I think the word Brexit is so ingrained in your subconscious now you start hearing it whenever a word remotely similar is said. If Mozzer had released this song 3 years ago this wouldn't even be a topic of conversation.
Have you slowed the song down etc like I said? I had somebody else listen to it and it was him who told me to slow the song down etc (yes he heard it as well and others I didn't hear before)

What year did he talk to NME about immigration? :D

Back
Top Bottom