Is Jackie about Brexit, Britain, or not?

ACTON

Don't Leave Us In The Dark
Morrissey has denied that 'Jacky's only happy when she's up on the stage' has anything to do with Brexit. Fair enough. But as I was listening to it again last night I started to wonder if it's about Britain, or Brexit, or both.

The line: 'Jackie cracks when she's not on stage' reminded me of the title of the Suede song 'Crack in the Union Jack;, which reminded me that 'Jacky' could also mean 'Jack' as in 'Union Jack'. As if Britain needs to be on stage and center of attention and calling the shots, instead of part of one big group.

Just a random thought!

He has to say no it isn't, because the moment he does say it might be, the line about being blacker than ever before looks even more sinister. So don't expect any admissions anytime soon.

No. At this point aren't we convinced yet that if he thought something he'd just say it regardless of consequences

He has to say no it isn't, because the moment he does say it might be, the line about being blacker than ever before looks even more sinister. So don't expect any admissions anytime soon.
I have said this before... Oh Skinny, you will love this! I have provided you all with the exact time Brexit is said in the song - Lucky you! 03:56

Instructions for you:

If you have VLC player I would use that instead as the sound is higher. You change the speed by going to playback-speed-slower. Turn the sound up as high as you can on both your device and VLC player (with headphones). Start the song on 03:53 and you will hear it at 03:56.

Morrissey has denied that 'Jacky's only happy when she's up on the stage' has anything to do with Brexit. Fair enough. But as I was listening to it again last night I started to wonder if it's about Britain, or Brexit, or both.

The line: 'Jackie cracks when she's not on stage' reminded me of the title of the Suede song 'Crack in the Union Jack;, which reminded me that 'Jacky' could also mean 'Jack' as in 'Union Jack'. As if Britain needs to be on stage and center of attention and calling the shots, instead of part of one big group.

Just a random thought!
I didn't think about it when hearing the song for the first time, I only heard 'Brexit' at the end. But when somebody broke down the lyrics and made the comparison with the UK, on further reflection, it does seem to make sense.

I would love to know what is being said over the top of "Scene Two: Everyone who comes must go! Scene Four: Blacker than ever before!
Any ideas?

Give it a rest, its not about Brexit. Even the man himself said it's not, and why would he make a song then deny its meaning, Fear of backlash? I doubt it, afterall its hardly the most controversial topic is it, he's wrote and said worse. And I don't even think Morrissey is that lyrically creative anymore, there's no ambiguity in his lyrics, he just ham fistedly makes statements with no room for interpretation. If it was about Brexit we'd all know about it. It's literally about a performer who's only happy on stage.

Give it a rest, its not about Brexit. Even the man himself said it's not, and why would he make a song then deny its meaning, Fear of backlash? I doubt it, afterall its hardly the most controversial topic is it, he's wrote and said worse. And I don't even think Morrissey is that lyrically creative anymore, there's no ambiguity in his lyrics, he just ham fistedly makes statements with no room for interpretation. If it was about Brexit we'd all know about it. It's literally about a performer who's only happy on stage.
Do you not think it's convenient that Brexit is being said at the end of the song? Would seem really strange to have it in there for no reason?

Do you not think it's convenient that Brexit is being said at the end of the song? Would seem really strange to have it in there for no reason?

No i'm not hearing it. You're convincing your ears to hear what u want them to. And It's funny because you say he's denying it being about Brexit due to fear of repercussion or whatever, Yet you're also saying he gets up on stage live on the BBC and blatantly screams ''BREXIT'' - which one is it.

No i'm not hearing it. You're convincing your ears to hear what u want them to. And It's funny because you say he's denying it being about Brexit due to fear of repercussion or whatever, Yet you're also saying he gets up on stage live on the BBC and blatantly screams ''BREXIT'' - which one is it.

I would say the song is more about the UK than about Brexit. Brexit being the end result.

If you can't hear it naturally, I have already shown you what to do above, here it is again -

If you have VLC player I would use that instead as the sound is higher. You change the speed by going to playback-speed-slower. Turn the sound up as high as you can on both your device and VLC player (with headphones). Start the song on 03:53 and you will hear it at 03:56.

I would say the song is more about the UK than about Brexit. Brexit being the end result.

If you can't hear it naturally, I have already shown you what to do above, here it is again -

No i'm never getting it. And my point is, if a man is willing to get up live on stage and sing ''Brexit, brexit'', then why on earth would he then be afraid to admit it in a later interview. He got asked point blank, and he said NO its not. Why do you think he said no? Afterall he's been onstage with his ''f*** trump'' badge and apparently singing ''Brexit'' live on the BBC - Well all know he doesnt mind causing a stir. Makes no sense to sing about it, then deny it.

I can't think of another of his songs where he has explicitly stated its (non) meaning not even in Autobiography.

It is curious that some things he says are taken as gospel (mostly his more controversial stuff) but when he says categorically it is not about Brexit,there are those who wont believe him.
Seems like he can't win.

No i'm never getting it. And my point is, if a man is willing to get up live on stage and sing ''Brexit, brexit'', then why on earth would he then be afraid to admit it in a later interview. He got asked point blank, and he said NO its not. Why do you think he said no? Afterall he's been onstage with his ''f*** trump'' badge and apparently singing ''Brexit'' live on the BBC - Well all know he doesnt mind causing a stir. Makes no sense to sing about it, then deny it.
Because of some of those lyrics lol He has done everything so it isn't obvious, but some people can't be fooled. The blaming of ONLY the British media rang alarm bells for me and then bringing it up again in another question straight after. The suggestion of the song meaning being about Brexit, could only possibly come from the ONE and ONLY hateful British press. When it was fans and press from around the world too that suggested it. Too defensive for me.

Does he think, or would there be, more backlash from the UK than if it were elsewhere?

Because of some of those lyrics lol He has done everything so it isn't obvious, but some people can't be fooled. The blaming of ONLY the British media rang alarm bells for me and then bringing it up again in another question straight after. The suggestion of the song meaning being about Brexit, could only possibly come from the ONE and ONLY hateful British press. When it was fans and press from around the world too that suggested it. Too defensive for me.

Does he think, or would there be, more backlash from the UK than if it were elsewhere?

Morrissey wants the whole world to know what he's singing about and the messages he's conveying. If it was about brexit, he wouldnt have denied it so strongly, even if he was a bit apprehensive about admitting it, He would have left the question open. Is Jacky about brexit - ''Well, what do you think..'' would've been a more typical morrissey response, He wouldve let us know it was, without actually letting us know. He wouldnt have refuted it completely. Thats just my opinion anyway, and it aint gonna change.

Morrissey wants the whole world to know what he's singing about and the messages he's conveying. If it was about brexit, he wouldnt have denied it so strongly, even if he was a bit apprehensive about admitting it, He would have left the question open. Is Jacky about brexit - ''Well, what do you think..'' would've been a more typical morrissey response, He wouldve let us know it was, without actually letting us know. He wouldnt have refuted it completely. Thats just my opinion anyway, and it aint gonna change.
And you are entitled to it :thumb:

Just too many aspects of it all for it not to be for me i.e. title, lyrics and of course the featuring of Brexit at the end (even with the obvious attempt to conceal it)

I have said this before... Oh Skinny, you will love this! I have provided you all with the exact time Brexit is said in the song - Lucky you! 03:56

Instructions for you:

@ 3:56 Morrissey says "exit" at the same time the child says something like "daddy". Whatever the child is saying, that's what you're hearing along with Morrissey saying "exit”. Morrissey doesn't mention brexit at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You absolute morons - especially Skinny. Jacky is Morrissey. The song is about his split from Johnny Marr. The exit is everyone who deserts him, including you lot on this pitiful site. The blacker than ever before is a reference to how he feels; or was feeling at a certain time, and nothing whatsoever to do with skin colour. I can't help but feel that Skinny is a racist - he is fascinated with racism. Quite often it is those who go on about a subject who do so to hide their own true affiliation to it. You also have to wonder if Daniel Grinbank is a paedophile.

Glad I can help.

@ 3:56 Morrissey says "exit" at the same time the child says something like "daddy". Brexit isn't mentioned once.
No. EXIT - 03:51, WRECKS IT?, everybody's heading for the BREXIT, EXIT, FIX THIS or IT, EXCESS.

If it's not about Brexit , the song is a little bit disappointing . I mean... a song about a woman who's only happy when she's on stage , it's not really interesting.

Back
Top Bottom