Is Morrissey too political?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Are modern Morrissey lyrics too political?

• Total voters
He'd wilt like a daisy and flee the scene if anarchy broke out. He'd be the first away because he's that type.

I think many dreaming of anarchy and revolution are not prepared for the sacrifice it means should it become a reality. Moz has not grown up in the slightest it seems and he shares that with a lot of pampered celebs who never lived in the real world.

He didn't even realise that he almost put his mother in the street cause he refused to pay his staff. If you detail his life he is a despicable man from start to finish only worthy of our deepest contempt.

I want to express my opinion, just like everybody else. And you want to insult people because they don't share your twisted opinions about Morrissey.

What twisted opinion would that be? You mean the fact that you gave an irrelevant response to a topic I created and then tried to explain to me that I misunderstood the content of my own post? Just like a woman, you continue to ramble on while completely missing the point. Maybe you should just stick to the frink thread, toots...you're clearly out of your depth.

Even a minor public 'boycott' of his concerts that interrupts his revenue stream would bring about a dramatic change in his public commentary pretty sharpish. Promoters will also be noting such sales data and that will result in them lowering his fee for future performances.

Lower the fees for his roadies, the band, etc. LOL If bad comes to worse, he will cancel. So I dont think a boycott is workable. :(

Even a minor public 'boycott' of his concerts that interrupts his revenue stream would bring about a dramatic change in his public commentary pretty sharpish. Promoters will also be noting such sales data and that will result in them lowering his fee for future performances.
I was planning on staying home for the Portland show, but if there are still a lot of tickets on Stubhub the day of, I won't be able to resist giving it to the scalpers and picking up a resale ticket for 10-20 dollars at the last minute.

I know he'll say whatever he wants, but he's damaging his stock right now for sure with politics. I get the feeling that this album, despite all the press, will be one where a lot of people stream it out of curiosity over recent controversy, but do not buy it.

One sign that he's on shaky ground, is that if you look on stubhub- (the vultures) you'll see his tickets pretty much at, or below face value at multiple concerts. There were two fifth row seats in Portland available on there for 25 dollars below face, and through the venues own ticketing site, there are still orchestra seats within the first 10 rows available one week from the show. If the scalpers are worried about breaking even, that's something else. Unless there's a miracle between now and next week, I fully expect a rant on Portland, or some sort of issue that prevents them from making it to the venue- somebody's visa didn't clear in time, that sort of thing.
The Portland thing is on Halloween so he has a lot of competition for things to do but you're right. Portland is a great test. The people there that might agree with Morrissey on animal rights will be completely put off by his political views. The music papers that are outside the mainstream refer to him as a racist pretty frequently, but the alt-right that might appreciate a singer with racist views isn't going to follow Morrissey. I don't call him a racist but that is his public perception and it's entirely his fault.

I wonder who else is playing Portland on Halloween where the mood might be a little more festive? It's really not the night I'd want to go watch Morrissey have a moan. And you're expecting him to cancel. Everyone knows that is always a possibility and there are only so many people that will travel to see him, book hotels, and spend all that time and money hoping they might see a show.
The new songs sound good to me and I hope the show isn't cancelled. I think you're right to judge this by ticket sales because in the past that was something he could count on.
I don't think that new video is going to get many people to buy tickets. Kurt Cobain did wheelchairs better.

Last edited:
The Portland thing is on Halloween so he has a lot of competition for things to do but you're right. Portland is a great test. The people there that might agree with Morrissey on animal rights will be completely put off by his political views. The music papers that are outside the mainstream refer to him as a racist pretty frequently, but the alt-right that might appreciate a singer with racist views isn't going to follow Morrissey. I don't call him a racist but that is his public perception and it's entirely his fault.

I wonder who else is playing Portland on Halloween where the mood might be a little more festive? It's really not the night I'd want to go watch Morrissey have a moan. And you're expecting him to cancel. Everyone knows that is always a possibility and there are only so many people that will travel to see him, book hotels, and spend all that time and money hoping they might see a show.
The new songs sound good to me and I hope the show isn't cancelled. I think you're right to judge this by ticket sales because in the past that was something he could count on.
I don't think that new video is going to get many people to buy tickets. Kurt Cobain did wheelchairs better.
I don't think he's going to cancel- I would expect Boz to get held up at customs, or for Jesse to get dysentery out on the Oregon trail. :lbf:
There's not a lot going on in town that night, looking through the virtual paper. I was assuming that a lot of it was the date until I started looking at resale prices for other shows. Mostly, I think it's his Portland fan base being far left and not wanting to seem sympathetic to his political sentiments.
But like I said- Day of show, those tickets should be next to nothing to snap up, so I imagine I'll be there if I don't have to pay $100 a seat.

What twisted opinion would that be? You mean the fact that you gave an irrelevant response to a topic I created and then tried to explain to me that I misunderstood the content of my own post? Just like a woman, you continue to ramble on while completely missing the point. Maybe you should just stick to the frink thread, toots...you're clearly out of your depth.

Redundant

I expect the Portland "music papers that are outside the mainstream' probably have a couple dozen readers at most.:(

You'd be surprised.

http://www.urbannestpdx.com/life-in-portland/2016/1/5/the-portland-mercury-vs-the-willamette-week

Pretty much anybody interested in concerts can flip through a copy of the Mercury or WW, and quickly get a good idea of upcoming shows.
Those weekly rags still get plenty of readers.

Urban nest!

Portland was depicted as the coolest place on earth not many years ago. There even was a swedish tv series character that was on about having lived in Portland.

LOL

Isn't Portland where all those famous nazi skins made headline news years ago, cause I saw a documentary about them?

Urban nest!

Portland was depicted as the coolest place on earth not many years ago. There even was a swedish tv series character that was on about having lived in Portland.

LOL

Isn't Portland where all those famous nazi skins made headline news years ago, cause I saw a documentary about them?
Oh, Portland sucks. It's a case like San Francisco, where gentrification killed the "weirdness." As for the Skinheads, you're probably thinking of Volksfront back in the 90's. A 3 strikes law sent them running to Idaho though. I don't miss them.

I live in Portland and I'm also surprised by the low ticket sales. Seattle is 2 days later, in a bigger venue and appears to be selling well.

I blame this on Halloween. Also, I've seen him many times in Portland. This is sadly a pretty big venue for him here. Usually it's The Roseland.

Oh, Portland sucks. It's a case like San Francisco, where gentrification killed the "weirdness." As for the Skinheads, you're probably thinking of Volksfront back in the 90's. A 3 strikes law sent them running to Idaho though. I don't miss them.

Thanks for filling me in cause all has been quiet on the western front.

I live in Portland and I'm also surprised by the low ticket sales. Seattle is 2 days later, in a bigger venue and appears to be selling well.

I blame this on Halloween. Also, I've seen him many times in Portland. This is sadly a pretty big venue for him here. Usually it's The Roseland.
He sold out the Schnitz in no time last time around. And the Roseland and Edgefield in a hot minute too. I'm just grateful he hasn't played the Crystal ballroom. McMenamin's is the devil. (I say this as a former manager.)

Like World Peace Is None of Your Business, much of the album is directly political, talking about blood for oil and police brutality. Why do you think your writing has gotten more explicitly political than the songs you were writing in the '80s? (save for a song like "Meat Is Murder," of course). Or do you not see it that way?

The people have become sick of the establishment, and I'm a part of the world.

No small kid wants to grow up to be President any more, and there's a sense that the world is close to its expiration date. There's no point hanging back with whatever feelings and views you might have. This is tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom