Is Morrissey trolling for headlines, politically driven... or coming apart at the seams?

Peppermint

In the midst of all the frenzied outrage and disbelief, I can't help feeling something is being overlooked. I know he's been trolling for press coverage for years, but there's something desperate and unhinged about his latest efforts. He's even (finally) got his own website so he can spout his factually dubious offerings till the cows come home.

Whatever side you take in the political debate he's stirred up, surely THIS IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOUR? It honestly reminds me of David Icke, and we all know how that ended up. Personally I think he's in the throes of some kind of mental illness and if it goes unchecked I foresee much worse to come.

In the midst of all the frenzied outrage and disbelief, I can't help feeling something is being overlooked. I know he's been trolling for press coverage for years, but there's something desperate and unhinged about his latest efforts. He's even (finally) got his own website so he can spout his factually dubious offerings till the cows come home.

Whatever side you take in the political debate he's stirred up, surely THIS IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOUR? It honestly reminds me of David Icke, and we all know how that ended up. Personally I think he's in the throes of some kind of mental illness and if it goes unchecked I foresee much worse to come.
Ha ha, you don't agree with him so he's mental. That's an old one.

Ha ha, you don't agree with him so he's mental. That's an old one.
No. You've missed my point. And in fact I do agree with him on a couple of things. I just think, stepping back and looking at it, this is very odd behaviour and if he was a friend of mine I would think, 'He's not well'.

Has Morrissey ever been 'well'? I don't think there's a problem in that sense, people are what they are. Talking of friends, my presumption is his friends might not be up to it. I've thought for a while maybe there is nobody there to say no to him, maybe he just cuts those types off. People who are willing to say what you don't want to hear, with good intentions, are the best kinds of friends.

Has Morrissey ever been 'well'? I don't think there's a problem in that sense, people are what they are. Talking of friends, my presumption is his friends might not be up to it. I've thought for a while maybe there is nobody there to say no to him, maybe he just cuts those types off. People who are willing to say what you don't want to hear, with good intentions, are the best kinds of friends.
You're right, he's always been teetering, but these public pronouncements seem to be accelerating and they don't look to me like the work of a man who's got his feet planted firmly on the ground. I imagine it's pretty much as you say, those who say no to him are excommunicated. It's a pretty unhealthy situation all round.

From Autobiography

"Of Kill Uncle Chas confirms: ‘You’ve lost it, but you’ll re-find it.’ I seem to be eternally cased in by friends who give me bad news because they care."

You're right, he's always been teetering, but these public pronouncements seem to be accelerating and they don't look to me like the work of a man who's got his feet planted firmly on the ground. I imagine it's pretty much as you say, those who say no to him are excommunicated. It's a pretty unhealthy situation all round.

Did you ever see a film called Looking For Eric? Without going into what it's about one of the stars is Eric Cantona and the main character has visions of him who he speaks to. At one point he's ranting at Cantona telling him he's got everything and what has he got to worry about. Eric just turns to him and says 'do you think my friends are better than your friends?' That line gave me a whole new perspective on life.

there's nothing wrong with david icke, he makes more sense these days than most "normal" media figures and -dare i say it on this hallowed site- he makes more sense then morrissey as well as far as politics go, in my opinion at least. david has a very comprehensive and thought out worldview, wether you agree with it or not, and he's been very consistent with it, while being mocked and truly censored (for example on his tour of canada), and this since the early 90s, whereas morrissey's endorsement of for britain is just kinda pedestrian and disappointing, there are more than enough people already bashing on muslims sitting in think tanks and stuff, writing columns, etc so as far as political commentary goes i much prefer david icke and i also think he's closer to the truth. morrissey should focus on music and emotions imo, that's where his forte is.

I definitely agree that he's got a lot odder in recent years. Funny David Icke is mentioned, I thought that as well. Did he not link to some wacky, illuminati conspiracy theory type thing on Youtube a few years back? Or did I imagine that? :lbf:

I definitely agree that he's got a lot odder in recent years. Funny David Icke is mentioned, I thought that as well. Did he not link to some wacky, illuminati conspiracy theory type thing on Youtube a few years back? Or did I imagine that? :lbf:

Like Morrissey he occasionally got things very right but ruined whatever he said with nuttiness. Like saying the Royal Family are lizards.

I think he’s the same as he’s always been and he seems well enough to manage his life just fine and seems to be succeeding and flourishing in many ways. I just read the book the sense of an ending and this situation reminds me of it a bit. How new information can make you rewrite the past to suit your current situation when all of it, said recollection isn’t really based on much factual information. None of us know him

i think Morrissey just has always felt an obligation to say what he thinks or believes, as a matter of character. clearly what he says isn't popular, but I don't find it to be particularly drastic.

i think Morrissey just has always felt an obligation to say what he thinks or believes, as a matter of character. clearly what he says isn't popular, but I don't find it to be particularly drastic.
Thank you!

I don't like them calling him a troll, it takes something away from me I feel.

It comes down to what you think is normal behaviour. What's normal for someone in Morrissey's position? I don't think there's any psychology journal that has covered it.

But he hasn't just suddenly flipped, has he? He's shown hints of this since pretty early in his career, fairly clear indications since the early 90s and full-on headbanger tendencies for quite a few years. He's a psychiatrist's dream case-study, possibly, but he's not suffering from a bang on the head or anything. He has a certain talent for writing songs, and my personal guess is that he still has it even though he hasn't really been using it for a good while. At the same time, he is a genuine and sincere moron.

Like Morrissey he occasionally got things very right but ruined whatever he said with nuttiness. Like saying the Royal Family are lizards.
To be fair, there is more evidence to suggest they are lizards than there is evidence to suggest they're not.

Did you ever see a film called Looking For Eric? Without going into what it's about one of the stars is Eric Cantona and the main character has visions of him who he speaks to. At one point he's ranting at Cantona telling him he's got everything and what has he got to worry about. Eric just turns to him and says 'do you think my friends are better than your friends?' That line gave me a whole new perspective on life.
Yes I did. Great little film. Starring, if my memory serves me correct, that wonderful character actor who played the drunk in Rev, whose name escapes me. You've remembered more about it than me, but yes, Morrissey was never in more need of some good friends right now. I do get the feeling SER is just an enabler in the current situation, which can't be helping.

Back
Top Bottom