Is there an official lyric sheet for Your Arsenal?/Lyric discussion

M

Mr. Man

I seem to recall the lyrics being included on a rerelease or somewhere on an official release. Maybe not. Is there a songbook? If there has never been an officail release how can we be sure the lyrics we see about are correct?

I seem to recall the lyrics being included on a rerelease or somewhere on an official release. Maybe not. Is there a songbook? If there has never been an officail release how can we be sure the lyrics we see about are correct?

There is no lyrics on original release. Morrissey hasn't published a songbook either.
You can start a petition to Morissey for the publication of the official songbook.

The Japanese edition CD has an extra booklet with the lyrics in both languages.
(Toshiba TOCP-7273).
Regards,
FWD.

The Japanese edition CD has an extra booklet with the lyrics in both languages.
(Toshiba TOCP-7273).
Regards,
FWD.
In Japan it's a standard to include lyrics in order to increase sales.
Sometimes these lyrics booklets are inaccurate because some cases lyrics weren't provided from original source.
Unfortunately I don't have a Japanese edition of the album, not sure they're accurate or not.
I'll ask a friend who has a vinyl to check the lyrics sheet.

In Japan it's a standard to include lyrics in order to increase sales.
Sometimes these lyrics booklets are inaccurate because some cases lyrics weren't provided from original source.
Unfortunately I don't have a Japanese edition of the album, not sure they're accurate or not.
I'll ask a friend who has a vinyl to check the lyrics sheet.
I think it's specific to the cd:
"Japan CD [Toshiba TOCP-7273]
The Japanese cd comes in a regular jewel case with white plastic tray. It bears the usual cd variation of the artwork on the front, without the His Master's Voice logo but with the catalogue number in a very small white font in the bottom right corner (view left). The back was modelled on the back of the UK cd, but there is no barcode in the top right corner and the personnel credits were moved up at the same level as the Mick Ronson credit to make space for additional Japanese credits at the bottom. There are also additional logos in the bottom corners, a EMI one on the left and a Compact Disc one on the right. The spines both state the catalogue number, Morrissey's name and the album title, but the left spine does it in Japanese and the right one in English. The obi is black with a mix of white and golden brown text and a grey EMI logo on the front. There is less English language text on this obi than on the ones that came with earlier Morrissey releases. The back of this obi has a white track listing and the barcode. The packaging includes two inserts. One is modelled on the insert found in other international editions, it is also folded in four and unfolds into a golden mini-poster of Charlie Richardson. When folded its reverse shows the usual four lines of credits at the bottom, but they are positioned slightly higher than usual to make space for additional EMI logo and credit. There is no catalogue number in the top right corner of that surface. The other insert is a proper booklet. Its front is all black with Morrissey's name and "Your Arsenal" in the middle in the same font as on the front, but in white, and there is a small white catalogue number in the top right corner. The reverse of the front cover shows five black and white photos: one at the top of Morrissey drinking water in a recording studio, and the other four at the bottom are cropped versions of the photos of Morrissey's musicians usually seen on the cassette insert (view left). The first page gives the album's track listing in English and Japanese above five lines of credits in English. This is followed by a Japanese language article about Morrissey over three pages, then nine pages of bilingual lyrics. Interspersed in there are two recent press shots of Morrissey. The back of the booklet is all black except for one line of EMI credits in white at the very bottom. The disc was modelled on the UK disc but the black horizontal stripe at the top does not include the usual "His Master's Voice", the few lines of credits above this stripe were adapted, the barcode number was replaced with both the Japanese and international catalogue numbers, the label code at the bottom on the right was replaced with a Jasrac logo, the His Master's Voice logo at the very bottom was removed and a EMI logo was added beneath the Compact Disc one on the left. The incorrect credit "Trk 1 taken from the forthcoming album Your Arsenal" is found in the bottom right area as on the Holland cd."

Lyrics aren't mentioned when it was reissued in '98 in Japan again.
No reference to vinyl/lyrics though.
Regards,
FWD.

I think it's specific to the cd:
"Japan CD [Toshiba TOCP-7273]
The Japanese cd comes in a regular jewel case with white plastic tray. It bears the usual cd variation of the artwork on the front, without the His Master's Voice logo but with the catalogue number in a very small white font in the bottom right corner (view left). The back was modelled on the back of the UK cd, but there is no barcode in the top right corner and the personnel credits were moved up at the same level as the Mick Ronson credit to make space for additional Japanese credits at the bottom. There are also additional logos in the bottom corners, a EMI one on the left and a Compact Disc one on the right. The spines both state the catalogue number, Morrissey's name and the album title, but the left spine does it in Japanese and the right one in English. The obi is black with a mix of white and golden brown text and a grey EMI logo on the front. There is less English language text on this obi than on the ones that came with earlier Morrissey releases. The back of this obi has a white track listing and the barcode. The packaging includes two inserts. One is modelled on the insert found in other international editions, it is also folded in four and unfolds into a golden mini-poster of Charlie Richardson. When folded its reverse shows the usual four lines of credits at the bottom, but they are positioned slightly higher than usual to make space for additional EMI logo and credit. There is no catalogue number in the top right corner of that surface. The other insert is a proper booklet. Its front is all black with Morrissey's name and "Your Arsenal" in the middle in the same font as on the front, but in white, and there is a small white catalogue number in the top right corner. The reverse of the front cover shows five black and white photos: one at the top of Morrissey drinking water in a recording studio, and the other four at the bottom are cropped versions of the photos of Morrissey's musicians usually seen on the cassette insert (view left). The first page gives the album's track listing in English and Japanese above five lines of credits in English. This is followed by a Japanese language article about Morrissey over three pages, then nine pages of bilingual lyrics. Interspersed in there are two recent press shots of Morrissey. The back of the booklet is all black except for one line of EMI credits in white at the very bottom. The disc was modelled on the UK disc but the black horizontal stripe at the top does not include the usual "His Master's Voice", the few lines of credits above this stripe were adapted, the barcode number was replaced with both the Japanese and international catalogue numbers, the label code at the bottom on the right was replaced with a Jasrac logo, the His Master's Voice logo at the very bottom was removed and a EMI logo was added beneath the Compact Disc one on the left. The incorrect credit "Trk 1 taken from the forthcoming album Your Arsenal" is found in the bottom right area as on the Holland cd."

Lyrics aren't mentioned when it was reissued in '98 in Japan again.
No reference to vinyl/lyrics though.
Regards,
FWD.
Thank you for all of this info. I know that some of the tracks from Your Arsenal have been included on greatest hits albums and some of those have included the lyrics to those particular songs from Your Arsenal but what is the best source for all the lyrics from this album and it's b sides? Is there a trusted source? A person or website that has sussed them out?

Thank you for all of this info. I know that some of the tracks from Your Arsenal have been included on greatest hits albums and some of those have included the lyrics to those particular songs from Your Arsenal but what is the best source for all the lyrics from this album and it's b sides? Is there a trusted source? A person or website that has sussed them out?

Give that a try.
Regards,
FWD.

I cannot for the life of me understand why there has never been an official lyric website or book put out by Morrissey. Everything about him begins with his lyrics. Without those there is nothing else after and yet here we are without any way to read them that has been published by the man himself! Every site I go to has many inaccurate lyrics posted. Even the good ones. It would be nice to have his true version with all the lyrics as written as well as sung. He could update as needed. I'd gladly pay for access to this on a kindle type e-reader or website. Perhaps a little insight into each song too. There are some songs that the lyrics have never been issued formally in any way. A major oversight for someone with such an amazing canon.

Why do all the sites have this lyric wrong?

"cut up OR shut up you're all right"

when he clearly sings "cut up, aww shut up, you're all right"

He's obviously saying to someone or himself that got "cut up" to stop whining because they aren't even hurt that bad.

The inflection in his voice says it all.

Probably transcribed initially by someone who didn't have English as a first language? It does seem to be quite common when one site makes a lyrical goof, all the others copy and paste it.

Back
Top Bottom