Is there any content on the HMV / Parlophone vinyl box sets that make them worthwhile?

Carcinus

Southern, no charm
Hello,
Are there any songs on the HMV / Parlophone vinyl box sets that can't be found on other, easier to get releases? I've read that Morrissey himself disapproved of these releases, but that doesn't bother me too-too much. Forgive me if my question is too broad or not detailed enough; I'm happy to clarify anything that would get me any advice on this.

Last edited:
There are probably about 15 songs plus a number of otherwise unavailable live tracks.
You should get the 3 CD set The HMV/Parlophone Singles '88–'95 which is the most comprehensive, inexpensive and easily obtainable collection.
Hello,
Are there any songs on the HMV / Parlophone vinyl box sets that can't be found on other, easier to get releases?

Worthwhile - I’d say no

I'd probably agree with NC, but if you have to have it for completeness, then you have to have it.
That said, these tracks annoy me because they're just padding:

Moonriver (extended)
Interlude (extended)
Interlude (instrumental)

There are probably about 15 songs plus a number of otherwise unavailable live tracks.
You should get the 3 CD set The HMV/Parlophone Singles '88–'95 which is the most comprehensive, inexpensive and easily obtainable collection.
The 3 CD set is great. Absolutely essential imho.

If you get this collection then you won't need to bother with all those other Morrissey compilations - Bona Drag (1990), World of Morrissey, Suedehead: Best of Morrissey (1997), Viva Hate (1997 re-issue), My Early Burglary Years, The Best of Morrissey (2001) and Greatest Hits - which feature a few random b-sides and non-album tracks.
Same goes for Very Best of Morrissey and This is Morrissey, though respectively they do have one ('Interlude - solo') or two ('Suedehead - Mael mix edit' and 'Satellite of Love - live') totally inessential tracks which are unavailable on other albums.
In fact, the only other Morrissey compilation you need to get is Swords.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Does my goal to complete his song collection on vinyl change anything?

Thank you everyone for the advice. Does my goal to complete his song collection on vinyl change anything?
Personally I prefer getting the original releases of the singles for collecting purposes.
If that is too much hassle for you, I think the box set it probably a good alternative.

Well, then you'd need to get all the 12" singles - some of which (especially the Island trio) are going to be hard to find, and pretty expensive.
Moreover, the following songs have not been released on vinyl - only on CD.

A Swallow On My Neck
You Must Please Remember
You Should Have Been Nice To Me
Honey, You Know Where To Find Me
Fantastic Bird
I Am Two People
Slum Mums
The Public Image
Human Being
A Song From Under The Floorboards
November The Second
Action Is My Middle Name (BBC live version 2011)
The Kid's A Looker (BBC live version 2011)
Scandinavia
One Of Our Own
Drag The River
Forgive Someone
Julie In The Weeds
Art-Hounds

You can get most off Discogs and eBay
Take you a couple of weeks to get all the 7’s and 12’s
Roy will be a deep pocket effort & to a lesser degree Satan, Alma and the 2 US purple ones but it’s a nice chase. Maybe then add the 11 (top of my head) US 12s
Give you something to do.(y):rabbitface:

Thank you all for the advice, I've got some real thinking to do.

Back
Top Bottom