Is this autograph authentic?

Hi all!

I bought this framed album online a few years ago and to me it looks like a real Moz-autograph, but what do the rest of you think? IMAG1229.jpg

I think if it's a fake i've got one done by the same hand, unlikely. It's real.9213 197.jpg

He signed a stack of QID lp's for promotion back during its release. Pop out the sleeve and see if there is some gold highlighter marks on the back of the sleeve. These were signed and then stacked together, and the ink hadn't dried completely, leaving some residue.

Thanks for your replies! I would pop open the sleeve if I could, but the framing is done so nicely that I would have to cut it open and ruin the framing, so maybe in the future but for now I´ll just go with the opinion that it´s real :)

His handwriting is like that of a ghostkid in a horror film. Just the mirror and lipstick missing.

He signed a stack of QID lp's for promotion back during its release. Pop out the sleeve and see if there is some gold highlighter marks on the back of the sleeve. These were signed and then stacked together, and the ink hadn't dried completely, leaving some residue.

This seems to have become a popular myth in the last few months..probably started by ebay scammers who want to sell some copies for huge amounts of money.

The first looks real and from the Smiths days not Moz solo. The second one looks a bit wobley. That M is not the normal but the rest looks ok.

This seems to have become a popular myth in the last few months..probably started by ebay scammers who want to sell some copies for huge amounts of money.

I personally noticed this in the late '90s when I bought a bunch of them from the collection of Jo Slee, then saw one on the wall at Record & Tape Exchange at Notting Hill Gate.

Didn't they do this for Meat is Murder as well? I have a copy and can post a pic if anybody would like.

The first looks real and from the Smiths days not Moz solo. The second one looks a bit wobley. That M is not the normal but the rest looks ok.

What? you doubt my magnificent "M"? Pah anonymous fool.

I was lucky enough to meet Moz briefly in 2000 before a show and he signed my Southpaw cd, and then my right arm, (yes, i had it tattooed) both with a black sharpie. they are identical. since ive looked at 1000's of his signatures and to be honest, in my opinion, i think its a fake. the M and the Y look doggy. The only way to ever know you have a real autograph is to get it yourself. easier said than done i know, but true.

The only way to ever know you have a real autograph is to get it yourself. easier said than done i know, but true.[/QUOTE]

VERY VERY TRUE and you sleep well at night instead of thinking and thinking : is it legit or not ?

Cheers Moz

Any signature can be faked. Just because it looks authentic doesn't mean it is. Unless you were personally there and saw it signed, you have no way of knowing if it's real or not. So really, what's the point?

Any signature can be faked. Just because it looks authentic doesn't mean it is. Unless you were personally there and saw it signed, you have no way of knowing if it's real or not. So really, what's the point?

That's not strictly true, there's no way of determining some autographs - modern Al Pacino autographs in particular - but most people have enough consistencies/inconsistencies to be fairly sure, occassionally you get anomalies. As we've discussed on here before, I've seen a lot of authentic autographs that look nothing like they should, but there are a lot of autographs which can be ruled absolutely real/fake just on the autograph alone. On my older Morrissey autographs the M is sharper, the dot above the I leans the other way, the O is less round, the Y and E are written differently etc, I'd be sceptical over them without seeing more examples. The top two have definitely been signed by the same person, whether that's Morrissey or not is open to question!

So you are saying it's impossible for anyone to accurately forge Morrissey's signature? I'm sorry - but you are deluding yourself. You do know there are professional forgers out there, right? Yes, most of the fakes are easy to spot, but just because #most# of the forgers are lazy doesn't mean it's impossible for people who know what they are doing to accurately copy Morrissey's genuine signature to a level of detail that he himself couldn't spot the difference. It takes a bit of practice, but to say its impossible for anyone to accurately forge signatures is loony. So again, unless you know for sure where it came from - it's a complete random punt - you can never say with 100% confidence that it's genuine - so why pay good money for it?

Tags
autograph
Back
Top Bottom