Is "When Last I Spoke To Carol" about...

Orson Swells

... Kirsty MacColl? Obviously there is the musical style which is heavily reminiscent of her last album, Tropical Brainstorm. Then the light lyrical style itself with phrases like "pasty face of mine" reminds me of her own songwriting. Then there are the strange bird-like effects which echo the musical break in Ask, which she sang backing vocals on, of course. Clearly the song is about seeing someone for the last time before they die ("black earth upon the casket fell...") and the synthetic sea sounds at the end could be taken as a reference to the way Kirsty died - when nobody came "to the rescue". I know she wasn't born in 1975, but that doesn't have to be taken literally as birth - it could mean she was musically born, or such like. Even the name Carol is not a million miles away from Kirsty and has connotations of songs and carol, er, singers. Anyway, I could be wrong - it's just a thought that occurred to me!

I thought it was about Carol Vorderman.
About seeing someone for the last time, yes, but perhaps meaning the last time she presented Countdown?

... Kirsty MacColl? Obviously there is the musical style which is heavily reminiscent of her last album, Tropical Brainstorm. Then the light lyrical style itself with phrases like "pasty face of mine" reminds me of her own songwriting. Then there are the strange bird-like effects which echo the musical break in Ask, which she sang backing vocals on, of course. Clearly the song is about seeing someone for the last time before they die ("black earth upon the casket fell...") and the synthetic sea sounds at the end could be taken as a reference to the way Kirsty died - when nobody came "to the rescue". I know she wasn't born in 1975, but that doesn't have to be taken literally as birth - it could mean she was musically born, or such like. Even the name Carol is not a million miles away from Kirsty and has connotations of songs and carol, er, singers. Anyway, I could be wrong - it's just a thought that occurred to me!

Hmm. Okay, I've taken your theory and run away with it, Crystal Geezer-style :D :p
So.
Clearly, the name "Carol" can be taken out of her full name, Kirsty Anna Maccoll

Kirsty Anna MacColl
Carol

Taking these letters out leaves

Kisty Anna Mcl

with which, after tireless work, I worked out into the proverbial:

KAM is any ltnc

which translates into:

"Kirsty Anna MacColl is any light that never ceases."

So, as you can see, WLISTC is, indeed, about Kirsty MacColl. It's a touching tribute by our loving Moz to, as I'm sure many of us will agree, a light that never ceases. :) :) :)

That's interesting. I don't really know but it would be great if it were - this song is fascinating to me ...

Why does every name in a Moz song get attributed to someone other than a person with that name?

Hmm. Okay, I've taken your theory and run away with it, Crystal Geezer-style :D :p
So.
Clearly, the name "Carol" can be taken out of her full name, Kirsty Anna Maccoll

which translates into:

So, as you can see, WLISTC is, indeed, about Kirsty MacColl. It's a touching tribute by our loving Moz to, as I'm sure many of us will agree, a light that never ceases.

:clap::clap::clap:

Bravo! Very well done. :D

So.

which translates into:

So, as you can see, WLISTC is, indeed, about Kirsty MacColl. It's a touching tribute by our loving Moz to, as I'm sure many of us will agree, a light that never ceases. :) :) :)

Yes! I missed the most obvious connection: Carol = MacColl...

Well done!

It's about Carol Thatcher.

000DBA7F-013F-137B-88290C01AC1BF814.jpg

So.

which translates into:

pmsl as the kids say. :D

So.

which translates into:

wow! that was kinda creepy, very "da vinci code"-style, ehehe!

Then the light lyrical style itself with phrases like "pasty face of mine" reminds me of her own songwriting.
"Hammered a smile..." could have easily fitted in Fifteen Minutes.
I know she wasn't born in 1975, but that doesn't have to be taken literally as birth - it could mean she was musically born, or such like.
I think she was in her original band as Mandy Doubt in about 1977 so, that's a bit off too.

Tags
lyrics
Back
Top Bottom