isn't anyone going to talk about the statue of Jesus that was struck by lightning?

D

Dave

11t9303.jpg

A six-storey statue of Jesus Christ in a midwestern US city was struck by lightning and burned to the ground, leaving only a blackened steel skeleton and pieces of foam that were scooped up by curious onlookers yesterday.

The King of Kings statue, one of south-west Ohio's most familiar landmarks, had stood since 2004 at the evangelical Solid Rock church along the Interstate 75 highway in Monroe, just north of Cincinnati.

The lightning strike set the statue ablaze around 11.15 pm on Monday night, Monroe police said.

The sculpture, about 19 metres (62 feet) tall and 12 metres wide at the base, showed the figure of Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way the arms were raised, similar to a referee signalling a touchdown in American football. It was made of plastic foam and fibreglass over a steel frame, which was all that remained yesterday.

The fire spread from the statue to an adjacent amphitheatre but was confined to the attic, and no one was injured, police chief Mark Neu said.

Damage from the fire was estimated at $700,000 (£474,000): $300,000 for the statue alone and $400,000 for the amphitheatre, fire station officer Richard Mascarella said.

Some people were scooping up pieces of the statue's foam from the nearby pond to take home with them, said Darlene Bishop, a church co-pastor. "This meant a lot to a lot of people," she said.

Bishop said the statue would be rebuilt. "It will be back, but this time we are going to try for something fireproof."

Re: isn't anyone going to talk about the statue of Jesus that was struck by lightning

i actually did hear about this. i lold

Re: isn't anyone going to talk about the statue of Jesus that was struck by lightning

God has taste. THat thing was hideous.

It made an awesome fire. Doesn't it seem strange that they would rebuild this? They must think that God struck it, right? What will He do next? :eek: I think they should just put up a plague with an apology on it and let it rest. ;)

Also I like that they have a Pastor Bishop.

it looks more like dave lee travis than jesus.are you sure it was not noel edmonds doing a goture:lbf:
im showing my age with that one:eek:

Maybe God thought it was Kenny Rogers.

The FARK headline for the story was: Torchdown Jesus.

I approve.

Heh. Heh. Yeh, I read about it in the paper yesterday.
I was thinking some religious people might be thinking it's
a sure sign of the end of the world....
Or it's a sign that God's not happy with the world....
Or what if they think it's a sign that God is mad at religion.....
Mmmm? :thumb:

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:Fascinating topic....Now dig out some quotes from wikiquote and fixed.

Thinking upon the stance of the statue (when it existed) looks
like Jesus was trying to say:- "Get me outta here please!"
The way his arms are lifted up and all. I reckon his dad must have
decided to rescue him at last.....;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellooooooooooo Fresnoooooooooooooo

Maybe God thought it was Kenny Rogers.

:laughing:

Oh my, God, (they) killed Kenny. Off to youtube him to see what he has done to deserve such wrath...

edit/ regarding TBLM's vid...Better "Big Butter Jesus" than "Big Butt Jesus"

"Can't believe it's not Jesus." :lbf: Now that was silly. :straightface:

Last edited:

:lbf:

You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments." (RSV Exodus 20:3-6).​

:thumb:

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOErZuzZpS8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NOErZuzZpS8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]​

:lbf:

that's jesus?? I thought it was the bloke from the flaming lips

" Yes......I am well pleased and awaiting the next one!"

Back
Top Bottom