Italian police ready to sue and ask for compensation - reports

It's official: the Italian police will sue Moz

La Polizia denuncia Morrissey per diffamazione: “Sono psicopatici armati” - Affaritaliani.it

Morrissey diffama la Polizia italiana, Consap: «pronti a denunciarlo e a chiedergli un risarcimento» - OP Osservatore Politico

Google Translate to English:

Morrissey defames the Italian Police, Consap "ready to sue and ask for compensation"
By Pier Paolo Palozzi

The British singer was stopped by police for a check, in central Rome. Subsequently, on their social profile, he defined the agents of "armed psychopaths." The Police Union: "we do not care about the 'logic she does not know who I am', for us all citizens are equal, including the singers'

ROME - A lawsuit and a thank you, these are the reactions of Consap, more representative union of the State Police to heavy externalization of the English singer Morrissey.

"By the term 'armed psychopaths' that the singer has posted on his company profile - explains the national secretary of Consap Stefano Spagnoli - has been given a mandate to our legal department to assess the details of defamation, while about the possibility that the singer gates all Italian dates we can only thank him for freeing resources for the safety of Italian citizens. "

The Conferazione Statutory Autonomous Police rejects the sender, "the logic of" you do not know who I am "and the bad example of respect for the rule of law provided by singer .- continues the Trade Union Confederation of Autonomous Police - hoping that the promoters of these events musical know better assess the artists to gratify the presence and with the massive crowds, excluding those who clearly and despite the emergence of international security think they are above the law and police checks. "

UPDATE July 12:

Additional quotes from the police union in a link posted by an anonymous person:

Il Siulp (sindacato dei poliziotti) denuncia Morrissey per oltraggio - Askanews

Last edited by a moderator:
No lawsuit will be filed. The Italian judicial system is proven to be garbage and sloppy. This is all posturing on their part. Morrissey already won.

Likely, we will never hear about this again, with the exception of in tabloid bullshit fashion.

That's my gut feeling though it's not based on a whole lot of facts. The idea that they said morrissey posted something on his company page doesn't bode well for there case imo. Seems like a lot gusto with them trying to make a point of shaming him with the whole citizens are equal stuff. It doesn't even say they're gonna sue does it, just that they've been given the mandate to assess the details of defamation

What's your point. I obviously don't care about grammar as we've had this exchange repeatedly. Anybody actually know the answer to the questions I asked. Will they actually file a lawsuit or are they just blustering. Why haven't they done so already. How long do they have
These things take tiiiiiiiiiiiime.

I have a feeling many people don't understand the difference between a police union who has to represent the interests of the people who pay for their unionship, and who is guarding the image of the police, and the justice department who has to make a decision about it, if they want to take this case to court. Even if it is a civil case.

As I said before, even political forces might want to have an influence.
Don't forget that in Italy image and how things appear to look on the outside is important. Fa un Bella Figura. (Or something like that).

If there are possible worries within the legal authorities about this case attracting a lot of attention, media-wise and cross borders, and if other people suddenly come forward due to this case and start telling and complaining about how policemen treated them, and I am talking about more then only shouting, bullying, and keeping a hand on their weapon, but about violence, misuse of power, etcetera, etcetera, they could decide to not take any further action.
And they would keep complete silence about it and let the whole fuss die out. That's why no action has been taken.

This is a possibility, providing Moz doesn't say say anything about it too, from now on. :rolleyes:

In the US when a celebrity messes up like this they usually go to rehab and then on the Ellen show.
I have a feeling many people don't understand the difference between a police union who has to represent the interests of the people who pay for their unionship, and who is guarding the image of the police, and the justice department who has to make a decision about it, if they want to take this case to court. Even if it is a civil case.

As I said before, even political forces might want to have an influence.
Don't forget that in Italy image and how things appear to look on the outside is important. Fa un Bella Figura. (Or something like that).

If there are possible worries within the legal authorities about this case attracting a lot of attention, media-wise and cross borders, and if other people suddenly come forward due to this case and start telling and complaining about how policemen treated them, and I am talking about more then only shouting, bullying, and keeping a hand on their weapon, but about violence, misuse of power, etcetera, etcetera, they could decide to not take any further action.
And they would keep complete silence about it and let the whole fuss die out. That's why no action has been taken.

This is a possibility, providing Moz doesn't say say anything about it too, from now on. :rolleyes:

So you're saying this might just be the tip of the iceberg? There could be hundreds of people who have driven through Rome, speeding, against traffic, and been asked to show their identification and they might all come forward at once and bring Italy to its knees? :rolleyes:
I agree Morrissey should just drop it and move on to his next outrage. I suspect he did not expect a reply from the police.

In the US when a celebrity messes up like this they usually go to rehab and then on the Ellen show.

So you're saying this might just be the tip of the iceberg? There could be hundreds of people who have driven through Rome, speeding, against traffic, and been asked to show their identification and they might all come forward at once and bring Italy to its knees? :rolleyes:
I agree Morrissey should just drop it and move on to his next outrage. I suspect he did not expect a reply from the police.

'In the US when a celebrity messes up like this'

Who 'messed up' ? Not unless you're calling these police 'celebrities' which they are trying very hard to be.

I didn't say it would bring Italy down on it's knees. And I am not talking about traffic, which by the way, is an anarchistic jungle anyway, and the trafficrules doesn't seem to impress the people much. :) As a lot of other things do neither. They are skilled masters of improvisation, anything can happen there and the people will find a way to get around.

I am talking about misuse of power by policemen.
That isn't particular restricted to Italy but Italian policemen deal with a lot of other issues and it's common knowledge amongst Italian people you have to be careful what you say.
And indeed the anti-terror measures also rised the tension for po!icemen.

Any complaints about them will end up somewhere in a drawer as it comes from non-famous people. But with a photo, name, numbers on a motor, published on social media that becomes difficult.
That's why it is a sensitive issue, I think.

I didn't say it would bring Italy down on it's knees. And I am not talking about traffic, which by the way, is an anarchistic jungle anyway, and the trafficrules doesn't seem to impress the people much. :) As a lot of other things do neither. They are skilled masters of improvisation, anything can happen there and the people will find a way to get around.

I am talking about misuse of power by policemen.
That isn't particular restricted to Italy but Italian policemen deal with a lot of other issues and it's common knowledge amongst Italian people you have to be careful what you say.
And indeed the anti-terror measures also rised the tension for po!icemen.

Any complaints about them will end up somewhere in a drawer as it comes from non-famous people. But with a photo, name, numbers on a motor, published on social media that becomes difficult.
That's why it is a sensitive issue, I think.
Okay, here is the problem. Morrissey was not mistreated. He's a clown, a troll, who one month is try to sell a t-shirt using the image of a black man claiming "I feel black on the inside" apparently blacker than Barack Obama who Morrissey said was "white on the inside." Morrissey who complains about people immigrating to England while he maintains homes in other countries.
You're right that some people are abused by the police. But being asked to show your identification is not abuse. How many people were killed by the police in Los Angeles while Morrissey lived there? How many of those police killings did he comment on? I don't know the answer to the first question but the answer to the second question is zero. None. Nada.
I imagine that the police in that section of Rome have their hands full looking for pickpockets and street criminals. I'm sure there are many stupid tourists roaming the streets with pockets stuffed with cash. Then of course we are all conscious of terrorism. I'm not going to claim the car Morrissey was in was acting suspiciously. If it was he should be ashamed. But lets say they were driving the speed limit and following all traffic laws. Okay, let's say this cop had no reason to be suspicious at all.
In that case the thing to do would be to produce identification and then if he felt threatened or harassed, he has lawyers. He could file a complaint. Did he do that? No, he took it to social media. That's a venue where he felt his voice would be heard and the police would not have a way to respond. Even if he felt he wouldn't get a fair hearing he claims to love Rome, so the thing to do would be to make the complaint and give them a chance.
Why didn't he do that?
Probably, and I'm going out on a limb here, probably because he was in a car that was breaking the law. He was inconvenienced by a person in a smelly uniform, a uniformed whore, in his words, and he is supposed to have a life of privilege. You're assuming the police in that area are out of control and Morrissey is hoping to change that. Well, again, he seems to have no problem with the police in Los Angeles, one of the most racist police departments in the world. So I'm sorry but that reasoning doesn't work.
In Los Angeles anyone with any fame is treated like a god. Celebrities get away with murder, literally.
So we agree on the part that he should shut up but we disagree that he is some sort of social activist. He's a troll.

I don't understand this.

I'll try to explain myself. Essentially, I wanted to say they will not sue Morrissey unless they know for sure they will win the civil case. Second, no matter what the judicial decision says (if there is one), that must not influence our opinion about the situation. Police abuse is not good nor legal, no matter what a judge says about it in a given situation. This doesn't mean I have a bad opinion about that judicial system, because fair and unfair decisions are being taken everywhere on a daily basis.

No doubt here there is police abuse because we all know for sure Morrissey is not a terrorist nor a criminal, so there were not true motives to detain, shout and threaten him with a gun. If motives would have existed, he would have been taken to the police station after the incident. Regardless of what the policeman thought, supposedly by the lack of ID, facts prove his judgement was totally wrong. Morrissey is not a public danger. If someone is wrong that person must tolerate the reaction of the victim, especially when that reaction is limited to simple words. Only gods and absolute kings are exempt from taking responsibility for their mistakes. As far as I know, a policeman is just a civil servant. Taking responsibilities is part of everyone's job.

What would have happened if the mistake of the policeman would have led to a physical injury or even to the death of the victim? When there's a gun involved everything can happen. We should think about it, even more knowing that no official investigation about the facts is being done. Just the police union seems to have taken intervention in favor of one of its members.

He is no social activist.
I didn't say he should keep his mouth shut during the "event".
I suggested that it very well could be that if he did from now on, there would be no case. Civil or not. No one, not any justice department, the police neither has filed a complaint about infamy. For reasons I explained. And why do you think it takes so long? Because they don't want to push it as for reasons I explained too.
But, if for any reason Moz says anymore negative the chances are they will.
It's a bit tricky cause if media start digging into it and say all kind of things accusing Moz, maybe he is going to feel the need to say anything to defend himself.

In a way the immediate publishing of the photo, name, numbers etcetera on social media protected him cause now it couldn't be denied. Remember, that is just your opinion, sir?
Maybe you believe that other occurrences happening in the US were all bullshit and framing but imagine they were not?

He is no social activist.
I didn't say he should keep his mouth shut during the "event".
I suggested that it very well could be that if he did from now on, there would be no case. Civil or not. No one, not any justice department, the police neither has filed a complaint about infamy. For reasons I explained. And why do you think it takes so long? Because they don't want to push it as for reasons I explained too.
But, if for any reason Moz says anymore negative the chances are they will.
It's a bit tricky cause if media start digging into it and say all kind of things accusing Moz, maybe he is going to feel the need to say anything to defend himself.

In a way the immediate publishing of the photo, name, numbers etcetera on social media protected him cause now it couldn't be denied. Remember, that is just your opinion, sir?
Maybe you believe that other occurrences happening in the US were all bullshit and framing but imagine they were not?
It's only been a few days. A lawsuit takes time to prepare. The publishing of the photo and name didn't protect him from anything because he was free to go.
My point about the US cases is that he is not concerned unless it happens to him. Of course the police have shot people without just cause. Sometimes they even get in trouble for it. What I'm saying that this cop might have simply been doing his job when Trollissey came screaming down the street looking like a terrorist. But the cop is probably getting marriage offers from all over the globe now. I sent one but I haven't heard back.
I just think it's funny that Morrissey wants the Italian police to kiss his ass like he's Cicciolina or the Pope or something. Don't you?

It's only been a few days. A lawsuit takes time to prepare. The publishing of the photo and name didn't protect him from anything because he was free to go.
My point about the US cases is that he is not concerned unless it happens to him. Of course the police have shot people without just cause. Sometimes they even get in trouble for it. What I'm saying that this cop might have simply been doing his job when Trollissey came screaming down the street looking like a terrorist. But the cop is probably getting marriage offers from all over the globe now. I sent one but I haven't heard back.
I just think it's funny that Morrissey wants the Italian police to kiss his ass like he's Cicciolina or the Pope or something. Don't you?

You're funny Calamine, but I don't think so.
I think most policemen expect a certain submissive attitude when they are authoritive and that doesn't surprise me cause most of the public they deal with on the street behave like that.
They are not used to somebody who is assertive and ask them questions like why? Of course the policeman only does his job and I know, anti-terror measures creating tension for policemen. Maybe Moz didn't know he always had to have his ID on him and police have the right to ask for it. Even if he wasn't driving.
It has to do with his attitude. I guess the policeman got very angry because of that. But in a way I admire that attitude.
People start all saying he is acting like the star saying do you know who I am and abusing his fame.
But if he could not provide his ID how did the policeman knew so fast who he was? Google search? Of what? Did Morrissey state his name? Could he verify? How would he know it wasn't false?
That policeman knew him, he recognized him. He said I know who you are.

Last edited:
I think most policemen expect a certain submissive attitude when they are authoritive and that doesn't surprise me cause most of the public they deal with on the street behave like that.
They are not used to somebody who is assertive and ask them questions like why? Of course the policemen only does his job and I know, anti-terror measures creating tension for policemen. Maybe Moz didn't know he always had to have his ID on him and police have the right to ask for it. Even if he wasn't driving.
It has to do with his attitude. I guess the policeman got very angry because of that. But in a way I admire that attitude.
People start all saying he is acting like the star saying do you know who I am and abusing his fame.
But if he could not provide his ID how did the policeman knew so fast who he was? Google search? Of what? Did Morrissey state his name? Could he verify? How would he know it wasn't false?

:thumb:

1. M did no wrong. 2. so the cop couldn't arrest him. 3. Because of that (and maybe because he knew M was famous) and with M refusing to be submissive to the law(by questioning the cop), the cop reacted by abusing his power and threatening M's life(for M felt threatened) with the combination of shouting, hand on gun showing that he could shoot him anytime, and not allowing him to leave.

Wrong or right, M felt it important to make it immediately known that this cop was not only a danger to him but could be a danger to other innocent people in that area.

It's really that simple.

They are not used to somebody who is assertive and ask them questions like why? Of course the policeman only does his job and I know, anti-terror measures creating tension for policemen. Maybe Moz didn't know he always had to have his ID on him and police have the right to ask for it. Even if he wasn't driving.

Here is what is wrong with your logic. Morrissey is not some hillbilly who has never been on an ae-r0-plane. He lived in Rome didn't he? Surely he has had to show his identification before.
Now I don't know what your point is about the police being able to determine his identity. "Did Morrissey state his name?" I don't know. What difference does it make?
I think we're supposed to *gasp* and *clutch the pearls* at the part in this fantasy where the police officer says "I know who you are," because this is proof that this cop is out to get Morrissey? Or is your point that Morrissey doesn't need ID because google knows who he is?
I hope the cop didn't happen to google anything where Morrissey is saying that killing children is no worse than McDonald's, or that he supports the bombing of the homes of researchers who experiment on animals. Or that he wished President Bush had died. Or that China should be nuked. Any of those things might cause the police to want to ask a few questions.
Remember that we don't know what really happened. Police lie. Morrissey lies. But the idea that he was mistreated by being asked for his identification shows that he lives in a fantasy world.

Okay, here is the problem. Morrissey was not mistreated. He's a clown, a troll, who one month is try to sell a t-shirt using the image of a black man claiming "I feel black on the inside" apparently blacker than Barack Obama who Morrissey said was "white on the inside." Morrissey who complains about people immigrating to England while he maintains homes in other countries.
You're right that some people are abused by the police. But being asked to show your identification is not abuse. How many people were killed by the police in Los Angeles while Morrissey lived there? How many of those police killings did he comment on? I don't know the answer to the first question but the answer to the second question is zero. None. Nada.
I imagine that the police in that section of Rome have their hands full looking for pickpockets and street criminals. I'm sure there are many stupid tourists roaming the streets with pockets stuffed with cash. Then of course we are all conscious of terrorism. I'm not going to claim the car Morrissey was in was acting suspiciously. If it was he should be ashamed. But lets say they were driving the speed limit and following all traffic laws. Okay, let's say this cop had no reason to be suspicious at all.
In that case the thing to do would be to produce identification and then if he felt threatened or harassed, he has lawyers. He could file a complaint. Did he do that? No, he took it to social media. That's a venue where he felt his voice would be heard and the police would not have a way to respond. Even if he felt he wouldn't get a fair hearing he claims to love Rome, so the thing to do would be to make the complaint and give them a chance.
Why didn't he do that?
Probably, and I'm going out on a limb here, probably because he was in a car that was breaking the law. He was inconvenienced by a person in a smelly uniform, a uniformed whore, in his words, and he is supposed to have a life of privilege. You're assuming the police in that area are out of control and Morrissey is hoping to change that. Well, again, he seems to have no problem with the police in Los Angeles, one of the most racist police departments in the world. So I'm sorry but that reasoning doesn't work.
In Los Angeles anyone with any fame is treated like a god. Celebrities get away with murder, literally.
So we agree on the part that he should shut up but we disagree that he is some sort of social activist. He's a troll.

Obama : " Yes, we can... Not"

:thumb:

1. M did no wrong. 2. so the cop couldn't arrest him. 3. Because of that (and maybe because he knew M was famous) and with M refusing to be submissive to the law(by questioning the cop), the cop reacted by abusing his power and threatening M's life(for M felt threatened) with the combination of shouting, hand on gun showing that he could shoot him anytime, and not allowing him to leave.

Wrong or right, M felt it important to make it immediately known that this cop was not only a danger to him but could be a danger to other innocent people in that area.

tenor.gif

Famous or not you're allowed to take photos in public and post them. You're allowed to have an opinion of an interaction. You can claim people act like psychopaths without being a doctor and have it be considered hyperbole. He didn't claim the officer did anything illegal. If they make that claim it's gonna be hard to prove just like it would be hard for him to prove his versions of events. They are not a business and do not lose money. What damages will they claim. Money for mental suffering at the loss of there image based on a famous mans opinion

Famous or not you're allowed to take photos in public and post them. You're allowed to have an opinion of an interaction. You can claim people act like psychopaths without being a doctor and have it be considered hyperbole. He didn't claim the officer did anything illegal. If they make that claim it's gonna be hard to prove just like it would be hard for him to prove his versions of events. They are not a business and do not lose money. What damages will they claim. Money for mental suffering at the loss of there image based on a famous mans opinion

Next time in English please.

Don't drag Cicciolina into this.

The Italian police should look for real criminals. I heard the country is flooded with them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom