J.Marr / Mani / Edwyn Collins

Ben Chill

Marr (Smiths)
Mani (Stone Roses, Primal Scream)
Edwyn Collins (Orange Juice)

The above are talking about working together..Edwyn's idea.
Might be interesting.

Marr (Smiths)
Mani (Stone Roses, Primal Scream)
Edwyn Collins (Orange Juice)

The above are talking about working together..Edwyn's idea.
Might be interesting.

OMG!!

Johnny and Edwyn are my all time favourite songwriters, I'm so excited!!

Ooh, I know someone who knows Edwyn Collins but his music has never interested me. Maybe just maybe I could get to meet my hero.......

can't flipping stand Ed Collins, altho I'm glad he made a recovery from his illness.
the worst thing about him is that horrible, contrived singing voice. A Girl Like You Before is the most over-rated song of all time.
this is further evidence of Marr's desperation and directionlessness, and does at least give hope to the idea that, sooner or later, he'll do the only sensible thing...

can't flipping stand Ed Collins, altho I'm glad he made a recovery from his illness.
the worst thing about him is that horrible, contrived singing voice. A Girl Like You Before is the most over-rated song of all time.
this is further evidence of Marr's desperation and directionlessness, and does at least give hope to the idea that, sooner or later, he'll do the only sensible thing...

Desperation and directionlessness? :confused:

Marr is having fun, playing music he likes with people he likes - I can't see anything wrong in that. I don't think he craves immense popularity anymore (if he ever did), or wants to rely solely on nostalgia, so why should he reunite with Moz?

Some people really need to let the Smiths go. The past is the past.

Desperation and directionlessness? :confused:

Marr is having fun, playing music he likes with people he likes - I can't see anything wrong in that. I don't think he craves immense popularity anymore (if he ever did), or wants to rely solely on nostalgia, so why should he reunite with Moz?

Some people really need to let the Smiths go. The past is the past.

The last thing on Planet Earth that I'd ever want is a Smiths reunion. I can't flipping stand Joyce Michael (and not just because of the court case) and think equally little of Andy Berk.
I'm just pointing out that, every opportunity Marr has nowadays, he talks about the Smiths, he plays their songs, he tells us how they were written, he reminisces. Why doesn't he do the same with Electronic or The Healers or The Modest Mouse? It's such a massive contrast to the immediate post- Smiths era when he seemed embarrassed to even be associated with the band.
I would, though, love Marr and Morrissey to play and/or record some stuff together (i.e. not a pure nostalgia fest) and, what's more, I'm pretty certain it's gonna happen in the next 18months. You heard it here first!

Last edited:
The last thing on Planet Earth that I'd ever want is a Smiths reunion. I can't flipping stand Joyce Michael (and not just because of the court case) and think equally little of Andy Berk.
I'm just pointing out that, every opportunity Marr has nowadays, he talks about the Smiths, he plays their songs, he tells us how they were written, he reminisces. Why doesn't he do the same with Electronic or The Healers or The Modest Mouse? It's such a massive contrast to the immediate post- Smiths era when he seemed embarrassed to even be associated with the band.
I would, though, love Marr and Morrissey to play and/or record some stuff together (i.e. not a pure nostalgia fest) and, what's more, I'm pretty certain it's gonna happen in the next 18months. You heard it here first!

I wasn't referring to a Smiths reunion specifically, but I agree with you about Bruce & Rick. I have no real venom towards either of them as people, I just think they are irrelevant now and the chances of them ever jumping back in the pocket of the Great Man is so small it doesn't even merit discussion.

As for Marr, I think he changes his attitude a lot when it comes to the Smiths. On the one hand, he accepts that they're what he will be remembered for and what got him where he is; and on the other, he doesn't want his new projects endlessly overshadowed by his past achievements (remember his comment, 'well it was about 200 years ago' during a Cribs interview?). Unfortunately, Marr can't have his cake and eat it in this situation, so I think he's becoming a lot more comfortable talking about the Smiths and acknowledging his legacy. He even admitted that he missed Moz, for heavens' sake - but both of them care too much about their solo 'careers' to reunite, in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with Rourke :( Mani played with Rourke in Freebass....Get Andy Rourke to join them!

I wasn't referring to a Smiths reunion specifically, but I agree with you about Bruce & Rick. I have no real venom towards either of them as people, I just think they are irrelevant now and the chances of them ever jumping back in the pocket of the Great Man is so small it doesn't even merit discussion.

As for Marr, I think he changes his attitude a lot when it comes to the Smiths. On the one hand, he accepts that they're what he will be remembered for and what got him where he is; and on the other, he doesn't want his new projects endlessly overshadowed by his past achievements (remember his comment, 'well it was about 200 years ago' during a Cribs interview?). Unfortunately, Marr can't have his cake and eat it in this situation, so I think he's becoming a lot more comfortable talking about the Smiths and acknowledging his legacy. He even admitted that he missed Moz, for heavens' sake - but both of them care too much about their solo 'careers' to reunite, in my opinion.

Fair points Amy. Did you hear, tho, that Marr actually played some Smiths songs in a concert in Manchester earlier in the week?
This from another thread.

"They did 4 songs together including please, please, please and There Is A Light. His daughter sang one song with them and his son played guitar with the support band."

Johnny Marr playing some of the best songs of all time, in his home town, but with Crowded effing House!

Fair points Amy. Did you hear, tho, that Marr actually played some Smiths songs in a concert in Manchester earlier in the week?
This from another thread.

"They did 4 songs together including please, please, please and There Is A Light. His daughter sang one song with them and his son played guitar with the support band."

Johnny Marr playing some of the best songs of all time, in his home town, but with Crowded effing House!

Maurice, I kicked myself so hard for not going to that gig :(! I had the chance as well, and I knew Marr was going to be there, but I had an exam at Uni & then I had to leave Manchester and get the train home. :tears:

Awww, just after Smiths 1985 Oxford Apollo live, BBC 6 Music's Gideon Coe said that Edwyn twitted that he's going to make some music with Johnny tomorrow.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom